Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this rifle off of a buddy of mine. He said he had not cleaned it in about a year. I wasn't too upset about it he usually kept his firearms in pretty decent condition before he stores them. But this one, just wow. The bore was so fouled up it took an hour just to get the recent build up out of the bore. After that my patches started turning blue when I ran them through. I found out from my teacher this is copper fouling and judging from the amount of build up still in the bore of this rifle I have a big task ahead of me before I can even run a borescope in my rifle. If anyone has any tips on how to get years of build up out of an old military rifle please help.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Just keep after it. I know of no easy way to clean years of crud except by the way you are going. Might want to check out carbon remover along with copper solvent instead of using a general purpose cleaner.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Welcome THaynes, When they're that bad, I cork up the muzzle and pour some household ammonia down the bore. Stand it muzzle down overnight (not longer as the NH3 will pit the steel) and pore it out the next morning. While it wont make the job effortless, it will cut through a LOT of copper. If you were to smell any number of copper cutters, you'll notice an ammonia odor-just not as strong! Did I mention to do this in a well ventilated area?

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you were to smell any number of copper cutters, you'll notice an ammonia odor-just not as strong! Did I mention to do this in a well ventilated area?
And.. if you've priced the well-known bore solvents, you'll easily see how this can save you considerable time and money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts