Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start off by saying that I designed and am in the process of building a part for Mosin Nagant Style rifles that takes up creep, and over travel, and stiffens the trigger. I am not a business and don't have anything for sale at this time. If this is not the spot for this, or if the mods feel this in not fit for this forum I understand.

What I would like to know is that if anyone would be interested in this type of part. It is a drop in part. No expensive parts or sending your trigger off. I made up a prototype and was fortunate enough to have one made up on a CNC. I sent it back for a final version of the part and think I have something that might be a winner.

Like I said I only have a couple prototypes, but would need some interest to make a batch of them. I would be willing to go through the necessary steps to sell it on any forum if things look positive but I have no idea if it will be worth it or not.

Would you spend a small amount of money of a part like this? I must also say that I am not just another guy looking to sell a couple parts, but am seriously thinking about this to the point to where I might apply for a patent. My family holds several patents with numerous products so I know what is involved.

Your input is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Brett

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Well.... mosin shooters, by and large, are doing it because it's cheap (I have a few mosins). Anyway, while the triggers could sure stand improvement, I'm not sure your target market is willing to spend a lot of money on them.

Just my thoughts on the viability of such a business.....

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
My M44 sure could use some trigger help but I am afraid it would just make its shot out bore more apparent. A clean breaking Mosin. I have to admit it is tempting. Careful though. There are lawyers out there right now, watching this thread closely. Liability will be a big issue in your marketing and production.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Spitfire,

If the product is as good as you're claiming, and if there is nothing unsafe about it, you'll sell about as many as you can make. Do you have a price range in mind? I know there are quite a number of folks who are almost fanatical about their Mosin Nagants...if you gave them a much improved trigger, at a reasonable cost, they might consider it worthwhile to buy the aftermarket stock, scope mount, maybe even a whole new barrel (.308 of course)!

I bet you have a winner on your hands and the thing to do is find some of these little groups who get together once or twice a year to shoot that particular gun...you'd be able to do a lot of market research in one day.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Since you can get about the maximum trigger improvement by shimming under the trigger spring and, if you are very careful, polishing the engagement surfaces (all of which takes about 10 minutes and costs nothing), I doubt there would be much of a market.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since you can get about the maximum trigger improvement by shimming under the trigger spring and, if you are very careful, polishing the engagement surfaces (all of which takes about 10 minutes and costs nothing), I doubt there would be much of a market.
That's true, but it will still flop around like a noodle and you have to polish these parts which can be overdone, and some people are not comfortable doing this.

Mine just drops in no polishing required and not sure on a price yet, but would be around $20-$25

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
That would increase the value of my M44 by 50% :D

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
That's true, but it will still flop around like a noodle and you have to polish these parts which can be overdone, and some people are not comfortable doing this.

Mine just drops in no polishing required and not sure on a price yet, but would be around $20-$25

Well, the flop doesn't bother me much -- just part of the design. There are "match grade triggers" available for something in the neighborhood of $85-90, if I recall correctly, so $25 would be more reasonable than $85. Considering $25 is a pretty heavy investment on what is currrently a $70 rifle, I still doubt there would be a very large market. But, if the improvement offered was very significant, there would doubtless be folks who would be interested.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm in. $25 is just loose change. I would buy 3 if they were available and really worked. I would think this is a very marketable product in todays inflationary times. 7.62 x 54 is still relatively inexpensive. This would fit all MN's, right? The 91/30 as well as the 44's?
Greg

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This would fit all MN's, right? The 91/30 as well as the 44's?
Greg
Right, I first installed it on one of my M44's then tried it out on a 91/30. Being that the receiver/triggers are all the same it's not a problem. I know a few of the different Mosin models vary a bit, but it should fit all of them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I, too, would be interested in one of these. I like the looks of the Huber trigger, but thats kinda spendy for a Mosin. I think my Mosin might be a good shooter, if only I didn't need to yank the trigger back ;)

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Sign me up for one, as well. Sounds like you have enough orders for a first run, so let's see your product! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts