Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Nagant ,looks new cond, beasutiful well built piece of work. Can any of you guys educate me on the ups and downs of this rifle?

·
Registered
128 Posts
do a quick search on this forum and google... trust me, there is more than enough information available on these rifles...

but yes, they are fine rifles, if the bore is good. I have one with a marginal bore that still shoots good enough to hit a 12" steel plate at 300 with the sights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the stock has what I call "character marks" instead of being beat up and the bore can be "dark" but if the rifling is still good then you have a great rifle. I own a couple and enjoy shooting them. Mine still holds in there of the original sites and good distances. The year it was made and the markings on the barrel will tell you everything you need to know about where it came from and what its been through. Enjoy it!

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
Scroll to the bottom of this page and click on any of the topics in the "Similar Threads" section. More info than you'll probably want to know.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,663 Posts
Kick hard, bad trigger, worse ergonomics (bolt difficult to operate and the safety is even harder to operate than the bolt). Sights may not hit to point of aim (make sure you are trying them at short range before 100+ yards). Amazing fireballs from the short-barreled models.

Fun anyway. Get it to the range and enjoy :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Something about shooting 'em is just satisfying and fun. Other than that, they don't have much going for them. Mine shoots straight. Trigger is crap, even after some mods. Safety is a pain the the ***. It's long and heavy, and unbalanced. Oh well :D

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Ya, but its better than sticks and stones if some had there way. Still puts vension in the freezer, fun to shoot and makes you appreciate the finer firearms produced.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, looks like I got lucky on this one ,all numbers match has a star on the receiver and dated 1934 with hex shape receiver.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Hey and don't forget, you can drive tent stakes and crack walnuts with it too..:)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,115 Posts
I keep telling you guys they make wonderful tomato stakes! :D

·
Banned
507 Posts
Ya, but its better than sticks and stones if some had there way. Still puts vension in the freezer, fun to shoot and makes you appreciate the finer firearms produced.
They were a gun used by a super power and seemed a good MBR, but used way to long when others had semi autos? Hey they work and are heavy. Bayonets look cool to boot!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
The Russians made them from 1891 to the 1960s with some 37 million being produced there. Not counting the 3 million made in the USA by New England Westinghouse and Remington, Poland, Finland, Hungry, Romania, and China. Only chambered in 7.62x54R with very few subcaliber .22LR kits. Rifles were also intended to be zeroed with bayonets mounted.
Major Variants are
M1891 Rifle and Dragoon/Cossack
M1891/30
M38 Carbine
M44 Carbine
The US also issued it as the M1916 .30 cal rifle to US troops in Russia in 1918-19 (undelivered Remington/New England Westinghouse built guns).

CD

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The MN is a rifle that either grows on you, or it doesn't. Me? I love my two.

No, they aren't the prettiest, lightest, most accurate -- whatever. But if I need to go where I know the going will be truly rough, and the rifle needs to be brute-strong for its chambering and relentlessly reliable, the Mosin would be hard to argue against.

·
36,663 Posts
Yeah, if I had to pick one rifle on this earth that would be fully function after serving as a club, that vote would go to the Mosin.... :D

·
Banned
507 Posts
uhhhhh?

Yeah, if I had to pick one rifle on this earth that would be fully function after serving as a club, that vote would go to the Mosin.... :D
Thought you were on the tomato stake gang with the kdub!:eek:lol Me too very good weapons platform!! Russian version of swiss army gun, club, rifle, tomato stakes, fence posts!

·
36,663 Posts
Nah I cut the bayonet off my M44 to make it a little handier. Trouble is, the recoil is pretty darn stout!

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Every one here is forgetting that they make nice heavy floor lamps. Not pretty, but real handy as a club for home defence. Got a U.S. Property marked Remington manufactured one back in the late 50's for $20.00. Turned it into a floor lamp after one hunt. [Kicked like a Mule.] It will definitly never replace a nice Krag, P-14/17 or a Springfield, or for that matter one of my Swede's. :p

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tomato stake? Fence post? I'm afraid my vote for those would have to go to the French MAS-36. These rifles have no safety - the trigger pull is so heavy you *can't* set it off by accident, or sometimes even when you want to. The stock looks like it was milled from a 2X4. They don't shoot worth a darn and the ammunition is hard to find. The bayonet looks like a really long tapered reamer, and is useful for sticking it in the ground so you can nail wire to the wooden parts. Some friends bought a case of them for $40 each some years ago. The M-N is ugly, but the MAS is ugly without any redeeming qualities.

I have a Finnish M-N, which I recommend strongly if you can find one. They have a reputation for accuracy, largely because the Finns only kept the receiver and trigger group from the originals. All the rest they made themselves. The stocks are unique in that they are pieced together and the dovetail joints are clearly visible. I don't know for certain, but am told that this was done because they were made up from arctic birch so as not to crack in the cold. We have a Russian rifle shoot every winter, because a Russian rifle will only shoot if there's a foot of snow on the ground, and my Finnish M-N is usually my choice for that event. They are very popular at my range.

Best,

Trad

1 - 20 of 24 Posts