Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I stumbled across my old Mossberg 472 SBA in my garage I had bought used back in the early 80's. It has a little rust on it and I would like to restore it but, I'm unsure of the finish on the metal and don't want to use the wrong process to restore it. I researched online but could not find any info. Thanks in advance.
Frank

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,754 Posts
Welcome,
I moved this out of the 336 forum for you.
The answer depends, on what you are actually trying to do.
Do you want it to look new? Do you want it to look not rusty? Do you want it to be appealing to a collector? Do you want it to simply bring money at an auction? Etc

cheers

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,279 Posts
0000 steel wool and gently rub with whatever gun oil, etc., that you have handy. Break-free works fine, as I would imagine about a jillion other oils would. If the corrosion is deep enough, there are more specialized rust removal products, but some of them may remove any bluing that is left. So..... dig deeper, before you go that route.

·
Registered
7,891 Posts
In a similar vein, 0000 brass wool is slightly softer and I'd recommend royal purple gun oil, if you can find it.

Another help can be something I've read about several times, using a full copper penny and oil. I believe the penny needs to be pre 1982? to be pure copper. You might also search on youtube for a video demonstration of the copper penny method.

Good Luck!

Reactions: jimboro
1 - 6 of 6 Posts