Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm new to the forum and to shotgunning in general and I just got a brand new Mossberg 500 and I've been having problems with the feeding of the rounds. It seems like I have to rack the slide really hard before a shell will feed. Compared to my brother in laws 870, I'm having to use considerably more strength for the round to load.

I've disassembled and reassembled it without any improvement.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I also have a Mossy 500. It is a good and reliable shotgun, a great value for the price, but it is not going to be a smooth and easy as an 870. That being said, just the breaking in process (putting a bunch of rounds through it) should gradually make it easier to work the action. The good news is that gives you an excuse to hit the skeet range

·
Registered
116 Posts
I too have a mossy 500, I find them to be more durable and reliable than the 870s but they aren't as smooth as the 870, mainly due to the tighter tolerances in the 500, there isn't as much room for movement, hence the durability in the woods. I've put about 1400 rounds through mine and it's still tight, a friend has a 500 that has a recorded 200k rounds and it's as smooth as glass, and very very easy to cycle, just keep shooting....God Bless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new to this so any help is appreciated. Went to shoot my new 500 today and it will not load from the magazine. I put one in the chamber and 2 in the tube to start with. When I fired it , it would not even throw the spent one out. I got it out and it will not load the new shells. The elelvator inside will not drop down while a shell in in the tube. With nothing in there it seems to work OK. I shot 6 times loading one at a time in the chamber and it worked good. Once I put one in the tube, then it wont work. Any suggestions. I called the service desk and they told me I had to send it to them in Texas and it takes about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am new to this so any help is appreciated. Went to shoot my new 500 today and it will not load from the magazine. I put one in the chamber and 2 in the tube to start with. When I fired it , it would not even throw the spent one out. I got it out and it will not load the new shells. The elelvator inside will not drop down while a shell in in the tube. With nothing in there it seems to work OK. I shot 6 times loading one at a time in the chamber and it worked good. Once I put one in the tube, then it wont work. Any suggestions. I called the service desk and they told me I had to send it to them in Texas and it takes about 3 weeks.
You've got something out of time, Take it to a reputable gunsmith or send it to Mossberg. God Bless

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Or, 3 inch shells through an older 2-3/4" gun. :)

·
Banned
199 Posts
Send it to Texas! They're usually pretty good on customer service!

When you get it back, you'll be a happy camper!

3 weeks is nuttin'!:)

·
Registered
296 Posts
How did you make out with the Mossberg 500? I was just surfin the forum and read the post. I guess I've had my 500 for well over 20 years it seems. I still like the thing. As a matter of fact I just set it up for slugs.
Anyway how did you make out?

·
Registered
19 Posts
They dont make them like they use too thats for sure. I picked up a 500 for my sons birthday. Before we put a box threw we had the same problem. I noticed right away that the gun feels cheaper and more flimsy. I got mine in 94 and have never had problems. Called Mossberg told them the symptoms and they sent me a new cartrage stop. Took it back to the range........same thing. Called Mossberg again they asked me to ship it in. We dont have the box anymore so this sucks. My son is afraid of the gun now and does not want it. Very upsett with them at this point. Even if they send me a whole new gun. My son won't shoot it. Ruined his birthday. I really feel bad because I talked him out of a Remington. Not happy

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Something isn't assembled correctly. I've seen this happen more times than I can count, 500's aren't as user friendly as 870's when it concerns assembly.

SMOA

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Where is the trouble?

Rounds leaving the mag, moving (being lifted) in the receiver, loading into the chamber? There are not too many parts & as I recall they can basically only go together 1 way or you won't get any real movement of the slide. Shucking the slide 1 handed, SO POPULAR on tv & movies is a quick way to bend the action bars. Read your owners manual (or online), any scratches in the receiver,? & study the schematics, You should see what's wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Something isn't assembled correctly. I've seen this happen more times than I can count, 500's aren't as user friendly as 870's when it concerns assembly.

SMOA
Im right there with you. I thought the same way. At first I had to assume user error because my sons only 14 and in my head I was blaming him. So I striped them both side by side at least 20 times maybe 30 and the only difference I notice with the new one is all the parts seem more malible and easily bent. Im pretty sure I can make it work by bending the the elevator but Im not about to start smithing a brand new gun. I don't know if Ive just been lucky or that alot of companies just dont care about quality anymore. I have never had a new firearm not function. Ive only owned around 60 in my life time but I won't own another Mossberg. Simply because they made my son cry. Something he never does. I have nothing but deep buring hate for them at this point. Ill keep you posted.

·
Registered
852 Posts
All I can say about the Mossberg 500 I had is thank you very much for breaking and having to be sent back to the factory right in the middle of hunting season.

Wanting to have a shot gun to finish the season I bought the only 12ga my local gun shop had left, a Ithaca Feather lite.
Just love the thing hulls drop at your feet if your a reloader like I am. Light and fast swinging shot gun. 56 years old come Oct and nary a problem with it and I 've shot a lot of rounds thru it hand loaded and boughten steel too.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
My Mossberg was bought at a flea market back in the early '70's, and has had the extractors replaced, the finish on the receiver redone twice, the barrel(s) changed around however many times, and has been a good performer since I bought it for about sixty dollars, as I recall. It now has a Williams 5D receiver sight on it, and both the twenty-eight, and the eighteen incher have a ramp front sight installed. It's now my slug/turkey getter-with an emphasis on intruder stopper! All in all, it's been a good investment in a working shotgun!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Why bring back a 5 1/2 year old Zombie thread to complain about a Mossberg 500? The 500 may not be the best, but it is not regarded as unreliable. This whole thing strikes me as very odd and possibly troll-like.

Reactions: Tnhunter

·
Registered
19 Posts
ooor

Why bring back a 5 1/2 year old Zombie thread to complain about a Mossberg 500? The 500 may not be the best, but it is not regarded as unreliable. This whole thing strikes me as very odd and possibly troll-like.
Where unlucky and no one has had a problem for 5 years. Either way Im pissed about it. I have never met or heard of anyone having one that failed So I looked it up and it led me to this site. Like I said Ive had mine since 94 with no problems but this one is TRASH. It literally feels cheaper when you hold this one after you hold mine. Why would anyone make this up?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts