Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may belong in gun smithing but idono.

My Mossberg 500 has been as slick as *&^$*& for years. I decided to try my 20" smooth bore barrel on er for slug shootin. Ok I used it years ago but don't remember how it worked. Anyway I took it out and mounted the barrel on the receiver. The pump action is good until I get to the last couple of inches then it seems to bind a bit. It will pump fine but not as free all the way to the end of the pump. I took the receiver apart and checked everything out. It looked fine so I cleaned and lubed it and put it back together. If I cycle the action with the barrel off it's fine. If I loosen the barrel just a bit it cycles fine. What is causing the action to stiffen at the end of the pump. It's not like I'm not goin to use the gun but would like to have it cycle more smoothly. Obviously it has something to do with the barrel but what? Have any of you guys had the same exp?

thanks for the help

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's the bolt lock. You just need to figure out if the problem is with the lock or the portion of the barrel that the lock has to slide over to reach the locking position. One or the other may need to be polished.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. Like I said I took it all apart, cleaned and lubed it and put it back together. I only had the 20" barrel on it. I decided to put the 24 in cyl bore to see if it did the same thing. Nope slick as a whistle. I then put the 20" back in and it's fine. I did take the 20" barrel on and off a few times last night with no luck. Maybe the lock was a bit stiff and changing the barrels exercised it a bit.
Last week I inadvertently ran some pretty hot slug loads through it. They were tested loads but they were hot. Maybe something went a bit sideways. I know I'm not using those loads again. I am tryin to get a load the ole smooth bore likes. Worked up three different ones this afternoon. All of which are below last weeks load.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts