Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, and gals...

I did a search for optics but came up dry so I figured I would just ask. I would like to purchase a good inexpensive sight for my mossberg 590 persuader. I see them rang from 30 dollars (tasco) to 1000 or higher...

I don't really want to spend more than 100 on optics but will if I have to, what is a good set of optics that won't break the bank but will be reliable in most situations for my 590. I would prefer something that will aid my sight picture instead of a scope. I am kind of new to the shooting / hunting world so I am hoping to get some good info from you folks.

Have a great and blessed day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First of all welcome! Now what are you planning to do with your 590 that you need optics for?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I always liked the idea of a red-dot sight on a 12ga. As mentioned above, if we don't know what you want to do with the gun its hard to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, Thanks for the warm welcome it is nice to see friendly folks online form time to time lol.

I like to target shoot slugs from 50-100 yards (my local range only goes to 100). I know many are opposed to using a shotgun like that but I enjoy it so go figure I guess. I also want the site for home defense. I may want to start clay shooting with it, but I think the iron sight is probably good for that as well as bird / squirrel hunting and the like. Before I go hunting I have to get a plug for the magazine and fins a longer barrel with a choke (I think). I am going to try to find someone to kind of take me hunting first though and watch what they do and leave my gun at home the first time.

I guess the short answer would be a good all around site....

Thanks for the time, as for a red-dot site what are some good brands, and what price points should I look at. I sell used computers so I don't have a lot of money laying around, please keep that in mind.

·
Registered
547 Posts
First, Thanks for the warm welcome it is nice to see friendly folks online form time to time lol.

I like to target shoot slugs from 50-100 yards (my local range only goes to 100). I know many are opposed to using a shotgun like that but I enjoy it so go figure I guess. I also want the site for home defense. I may want to start clay shooting with it, but I think the iron sight is probably good for that as well as bird / squirrel hunting and the like. Before I go hunting I have to get a plug for the magazine and fins a longer barrel with a choke (I think). I am going to try to find someone to kind of take me hunting first though and watch what they do and leave my gun at home the first time.

I guess the short answer would be a good all around site....

Thanks for the time, as for a red-dot site what are some good brands, and what price points should I look at. I sell used computers so I don't have a lot of money laying around, please keep that in mind.
The red-dot would be the most versatile option given what you've stated IMO. Red-dot sights can go from $80-$600+ so keep that in mind. As for brands look at Trijjicon, and Sightmark. The Trijicon is on the top of the quality list while the Sightmark is on the lower spectrum. There are many others as well as whatever bargain brand Wal-Mart sells. Good luck and welcome to the forum! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts