Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided to take my mossberg 702 apart for a full cleaning. The rifle has a beautifully simple design, which makes it a reliable, inexpensive firearm for plinking.

All was well until I began putting the rifle together. Is there a trick/shortcut to get this darn thing together? My issue is with the recoil spring and guide. If you try to just stick the rod (with the spring) into the hole, the spring just bunches up and gets a bit twisted because of the angle. Now I'm just completely puzzled as to how best to go about putting my rifle back without causing too much stress on the parts.

Anyone with experience with this can help me out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey IOPA

Yes there is a trick. Watch this video and part two to help you on your way. Hold the assembled receiver upside down with one hand and slide the spring into that first. The end with the firing pin goes to the front and the "springy" end goes to the back. Lay the rifle upside down on your lap or workbench and slide the receiver into the housing. Then use a small flat blade screwdriver to push the front of the firing block (slide) backwards to compress the spring and the receiver will fall into place. If it is a little snug use a rubber mallet or your hand to nudge it past the housing edges. Then replace your pins and then the stock.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video/play?p=mossberg+702&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701&vid=0001597660966

PM me for any extra help you may need

SJP

I forgot that the black block has to be installed correctly. One side of the block looks the same (mirror image) as the back of the housing, curved part goes down if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you SJP. I've been quite busy and will tackle my 702 when things have settled down. Thank you for your help! I'll keep you updated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts