Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts

I'm interested but don't see a mag release which would be required on the left side for the M16 mags. I agree on the Scout version or a stalker version say with a 18-20" bbl and lighter stock. Standard USGI 20 rd mags would be great to carry.

CD

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would like to see the left side of the bolt gun as well. I would be happy with the AR-10 mag in the .308 based cartridge. I would like to install a 358 Winchester barrel on one of these guns.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
8,369 Posts
No the release isn't on the side, it is underneath. I have the magazine at home with the review, but I think I remember them saying it was at the back of the mag.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Why the big concern about where the mag release is? It's not a semi-auto, so you're not going to be shooting it all that fast, regardless. Plus, like any gun, you'll figure out where it is and it will become second nature to drop the mag when you need to. I read the article Darkker is talking about and think it's a pretty cool idea, overall. As long as it will shoot at or under an inch, stick a good bi-pod on it and you've got a new way to hunt varmints or just have fun at the range.

I don't own a rifle chambered in 223 right now and this one has actually caught my attention.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I don't think the concern is actually where the mag release is physically located on the rifle, but how it locks the mag in. So long as it locks in the mag without any modifications to the mag, such as a new hole cut in the back of the mag, then it's a great idea. That way you are in business with ANY AR-15 mag, but if you have to modify a mag to work, then it loses its attraction quickly. I can just see one now with a 20, 30, 40, 60, and 100 round mag hanging underneath. Can you imagine that thing with a Surefire "monopod" 100 round mag (the Beta may not fit but if it will take a 20 it will take the Surefire 60 and 100 round mags)? Talk about loading on Sunday and shooting all week.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I don't think the concern is actually where the mag release is physically located on the rifle, but how it locks the mag in. So long as it locks in the mag without any modifications to the mag, such as a new hole cut in the back of the mag, then it's a great idea. That way you are in business with ANY AR-15 mag, but if you have to modify a mag to work, then it loses its attraction quickly. I can just see one now with a 20, 30, 40, 60, and 100 round mag hanging underneath. Can you imagine that thing with a Surefire "monopod" 100 round mag (the Beta may not fit but if it will take a 20 it will take the Surefire 60 and 100 round mags)? Talk about loading on Sunday and shooting all week.
Yeah, just make sure you get the really high bipod or shooting sticks because that mag would preclude bench or prone shooting. :)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Yeah, just make sure you get the really high bipod or shooting sticks because that mag would preclude bench or prone shooting. :)
With that 100 round Surefire and you don't need no stinkin' bipod. It will serve as its own monopod!

·
Registered
955 Posts
The thing that intrigues me about it is the possibility of putting many of the AR-15 inspired cartridges into this bolt gun.
6.8 SPC for a light recoiling deer rifle
6.5 Grendel for a long-range target rifle
.300 AAC Blackout or .300 Whisper with a threaded barrel would be pretty intriguing, too. ;)
They could put .204 Ruger into it for another option for a varmint rifle.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I agree. They really have a world of possible chamberings they can take advantage of. From .17 Remington to .50 Beowulf, and about a gazillion stops between. If they leave that rifle only in .223 they are really missing the boat and may be killing the goose that MIGHT lay the golden eggs. There are quite a few people on the .458 SOCOM Forums that are wanting bolt action rifles chambered in .458 SOCOM. They would corner the market on that.
They did the smart thing by chambering in 5.56 instead of .223, so let's hope they don't stop there. Now, if they had an easy switch barrel design like the Savage, can you think of a better bolt action switch caliber rifle short of the AR platform itself?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Google is your friend.

I'm pretty sure they are already being sold and with the market the way it is, they're probably selling for a bit more than they should, at the moment. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts