Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
what's the black circle with the holes on the side of the rifle for? and what is it? I don't know what this is called or it's purpose I can't fine any info not even on mossbergs website or schematic for the patriot bolt action line. any info would be appreciated. click link to see the picture

Mossberg Patriot Scoped Combo Walnut | O.F. Mossberg & Sons

I'm figuring you're talking about the crossbolt in the stock. It's a bolt placed there to strenghten the stock trying to prevent cracks from forming with substantial recoil. Some rifles in rather easy recoiling chamberings even have them today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mossberg Patriot Rifles

just curious thinking but is the cross bolt on all patriot calibers? or just short actions? or does it even matter about caliber for a cross bolt? I want to buy a patriot with the combo scope in either 30-06 or 308. any advice? thanks for your time.

·
The Shadow
7,698 Posts
If you are using a wide that is maybe not a great choice, or more likely, over that is carved rather thin. Then reinforcement is a good idea. I would suspect it's as much about aesthetics as anything. I've owned various 30-06's a 7RM and a brother has a 338 WM and none had them (different brands), so depending upon design; it isn't "needed".

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
just curious thinking but is the cross bolt on all patriot calibers? or just short actions? or does it even matter about caliber for a cross bolt? I want to buy a patriot with the combo scope in either 30-06 or 308. any advice? thanks for your time.
I think it may have something to do with ease of manufacture for the maker. In my experience, rifles with SA or LA in the exact same model may well use the exact same stock profile, differing only in the inletting needed for a particular sized action. As an example, my M70 Featherweights in 30/06 and 7/08 have the exact same stock, differing only in the action inletting (something that somewhat surprised me upon noticing that several years ago).

So, I'm figuring some makers find it easier (cheaper?) to make all the stocks in one model the same, including a crossbolt. My two M70 Super Grades in .308 both have crossbolts, while my M70 Featherweights (post 64) have what appears to be an inletted black plug on the right side and no matching "hole" on the left side. My Ruger Hawkeye SS in .35 Whelen wears a Ruger walnut stock removed from a 7mmRM with no crossbolt, but my .338RCM's walnut stock does have a crossbolt installed.

None of my 5 or 6 rifles with laminate stocks have crossbolts installed and they are all magnums of some type in factory laminate. As strong as a good laminate stock is, I cannot imagine the "need" for a crossbolt.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Reinforcement is a good thing. The wood available today isn't always the best grain and a cross bolt reinforcement is a good insurance policy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Not sure if they all have them or just he heavy recoilers? I don't think you can really go wrong though, my .243 is a real tack driver and the trigger is awesome. Build quality is just as good as any other rifle in it's price range. The walnut version of the Savage axis ll would compare similarly but the Mossberg has a fancier stock, and the bolt handle feels like real metal instead of some kind cheap polymer like the Savage. Don't get me wrong I like savages and own quite a few that are very accurate, but the build quality gets a one up on the Mossberg.

·
Registered
9 Posts
These are common on big bore heavy recoiling rifles. It is a reinforcing "bolt" that runs thru the stock and mates against the recoil lug of the barreled action to keep recoil from splinting the wood stock.
You'll see them on Winchester Safari Grade model 70's, Ruger Hawkeye African, most all mfgrs chambering 375 H&H caliber and up where the stock is wood.
Mossberg must have it on that model rifle for looks as it is not necessary for the recoil of a 30-06. UNLESS they are using piss elam and not walnut for the stock. LOL

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Yep it is a crossbolt for strengthening the action. I have two Patriots and love them. Light and accurate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts