Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own three .22 lr pistols two are buck marks and one ruger standard.
The ruger I would guess to be about 50y/o still shoots well. I bought it used as my first .22 pistol. Has to be one of the most durable pistols ever made. I would have to guess it has fired a 1/2 million rounds. I have never had to have any work done to it exept the take down lever assembly but I broke that it didnt wear out . It does show its age, action is loose, barrel/chamber is erroded but the triger is just about how they should come lol. Still will print nice but is no tack driver anymore

The next is a flat side buck mark I have fire that myself over 200,000 times however I have had to do much work to keep that one shooting though.It is still very accurate but is worn slap out. Whe you have to start welding on a .22 frame you know it has lived its life.

The other buck mark is a fluted heavy barreled target model and it has been fired at least 100,000 times and has seemed to held up better then the first although I have had to replace the fireing pin bushing/recoil spring bushing and the recoil bumper a few times. It is the most accurate pistol I have ever shot, 100yard gong all day long off hand and cans clays at the same when i do my part, in a machine rest will do better then 1/[email protected] 25yards. The thing I like about it best is it will do it with just about any thing that will fit in the magazine and that is critical when you feed it from nothing but boxes of 500 of what ever, it has never been feed anything over $2.50 a box of 50 not once. The last is that I go about 3,000 rounds before ceaning the bore and 1000 rounds before degumming the action. I will admit that after 6 500 rd boxes it will start to key hole one out of about 100 but all the rest will stay in the 8 ring at 15 yards. I know that I am claiming 300000 rds out of just those two guns but that is realy only 30 bricks a year over the last twenty. I have shot a lot more the that I have a glock 20 with over 60k rounds through it but thats an other story

·
Super Moderator
13,674 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in, have fun and play nicely with the rest of the kids.

Well, 500,000 through the Ruger and 300,000 through the other two guns and that comes to 2 1/2 tons of lead. Time to start mining your backstop and start casting for the Glock, if you don't already?

It's interesting to hear how well the Buck Mark is doing. The description of its accuracy and ability to digest all comers is the kind of thing you usually hear about the Rugers. I know my ancient Mark I bull barrel target model that I got used for $68 in 1968 will still drill an inch at 50 yards, but not with all ammo. It likes hollow point RWS subsonics for that. And they aren't $2.50 a box, alas.

You might consider returning your Ruger to the factory for service to bring it back to spec? Call or write them and tell them you have a half million round pistol that needs to be tightened back up, and mention that you want to keep the trigger, as it has just finally worn in. See what they say it would take to tighten the frame back up and replace the barrel and move your original sights over to the new barrel to keep it all original? Assuming they can do that?

If that doesn't fly, you should be able to locate someone who can ream and sleeve the barrel with a bore liner and re-chamber it. If the sides of the frame have been pounded down and loose they might accept a little ordinary shimming? If the bridge behind the underside of the barrel has pulled down, it might accept a little gentle peening? There is probably a lot you can do to put it back into good shooting shape.

Or maybe you just want to see how long it keeps shooting? I don't know what my Mark I has through it, but I have had to replace a couple of magazine springs that finally took a set.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
what i wouldn t give for a good buckmark camper..
heck i got over 30 bucks in the bank if any bodies got one they;) wanta part with. slim

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I wish I had kept count of all the 22 rounds I had fired in my life. Sounds like you had one favorite gun and stuck with it. I have probably owned 20-30 different 22 revolvers and pistols during my life and shot the fire out of all of them. I now own four and I shoot them more than I do any of my guns.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Half Million. Wow.
I own two .22 semi-autos. A Ruger Gov't and a High Standard Victor. The Ruger I bought about about twenty years ago - that means less than one-tenth of that half million; I'm thinking maybe 40k. The High Standard was made in 1973 - given my normal use of it - about 5k a year - it's still way behind that high mileage Ruger.
What do you shoot all those .22s at? A million rounds combined over 20 years is......lessee.... 50k rounds a year or ten cases a year (about 800 or so rounds every week). Yike. I can only wish.
Pete

1 - 6 of 6 Posts