Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all:

This is my first post, so I'll try to keep it brief.  Been using Lyman and Lee gas check bullet moulds to cast 400-500 grain bullets for my .45-70 for a while now.  Have obtained good accuracy with 50.0 grains of WW760 in a converted Siamese Mauser with a 26" Douglas free-floated barrel.  This was my first home gunsmiting project, and it turned out fairly well.

Would you guys believe 1.5" groups at 100 yards with cast bullets?  No kidding!

With this kind of accuracy, I would like to shoot this gun at longer ranges, but the rainbow trajectory, similar to a Civil War cannon makes it difficult at best beyond 200 yards.

So my question is this, does anyone make a custom spitzer or semi-spitzer gas check mould for .458" diameter, with a weight around 450 grains?

Any leads would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Take a look at the Saeco web site or the NEI I think they both have what you are looking for.
I shoot the same rifle as yours except mine is 20 plus years old and has a 22 inch barrel. I love mine.
Now I'm playing with a Winchester 1886 in 45-70.
Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim:

Thanks for your reply, I'm familar with the Saeco brand name, but not NEI.  Do you have a web address for NEI?

I've been tinkering with load development for my Siamese conversion since I built it in 1976, so that's about the same time as you.  Best loads accuracy wise have been with WW760 and RL-7.

Be careful with your 1886, as I'm sure you know it is not as strong an action as the Siamese.  Handloader Magazine reported good results with the 405 grain soft point and IMR 3031.  They had a series of articles about the .45-70 some time ago, perhaps you have seen them?

Thanks again,

Dale

·
Registered
59 Posts
My Ruger #1 shoots 1 1/2" groups with BRP 405 grain WFNGC bullets over 50 grains IMR3031. Velocity is 1740 fps.
Trajectory is a rainbow, but penetration is complete.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Junkman,
I dug out my GAR catalog.
Lyman lists #457671 at 475  grains,it has a gas check and is semi-pointed
Lyman*457658 at 480 grains,no gas check,but is Pointed
Saeco has two semi-pointed bullet listed; #023 at 375 grains and #021A at 405 grains. Neither have gas checks.
good luck,
Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts