Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some ballisticast moulds and I'm using an alloy that cantains 6% antimony, 3% tin, and 91% lead.  One side of the bullet looks fine, but the other side looks kind of dirty or just not brand new.  Does anybody know what is happening.  I am casting at about 650 degrees.  Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Sean, Is this a frosty look? Or is the bullet just not filled out on this side? Did you degrease the mold blocks real good before casting with them? Use a soft bristled brush and dish detergent or run over to the hardware and get a Qt of denatured alcohol. Sounds like maybe you have contaminate in one half of the blocks. Are you ladle pouring or bottom pour? Hope this helps.
Jim

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sean,
      If the above sound advice from Jim doesn't work, and it's not the mold, what are you dropping your fresh cast bullets on ? Perhaps you're picking up some residue, or actually scorching the surface of whatever pad you're using, hence discoloring your bullets. That's another reason I water drop my bullets.

When casting, open the mold and see if one side is dirty on the bullet. If it is, you know it's the mold. If it isn't, you know it's something else, possibly the surface you're dropping them on. Just a guess. Let us know what you find out.

Jeff

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is not frost and I used carb and choke cleaner to clean the moulds.  The bullets are filled out.  I am droping them onto cardboard.  This may be the problem although I have tried to keep it clean.  Everytime I look at the bullets  before they drop they are fine.  This may explain why it is alway "the other side" that is dirty.  I'll try to water drop them next.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sean-

As I suspect you know - water dropping the bullets will harden them.  IF you do not want to harden them additionally - dropping them onto a clean (old) towel or other soft fabric surface should eliminate the problem.  

FWIW-

Sky C.
Longmont, CO

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Arsenic is only one element to heat treatable alloys. You've got the Antimony there too and I'd be willing to bet there is a trace of arsenic (all that is really needed) in the alloy you are currently using.

Should heat treat well.

Regards

<!--EDIT|Contender|May 31 2002,13:24-->

·
Registered
217 Posts
Sean,
      Antimony is the heat treating element required for hardening cast bullets. You can water quench from the mold, for a BHN of 19-21, depending on alloy, or oven bake , as high as 35 BHN. I find water quenching about perfect for my needs.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts