Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this link that goe's into detail about anything and everything to do with mountain men. I get bored and looked around and found info on Sam and Jake Hawken the gunsmiths. Their father C. Hawken was a gunsmith too and made "Kentucky rifles" in Hagerstown Maryland. I'm unsure if it was C. Hawken's father or grandfather N. Hachen who was also a gunsmith but died too young to have trained his son but may have trained George Shroyer. N. Hachen came to America from Bern Switzerland in 1750 along with two brothers one of which was Wolfgang Hachen (Haga) the famous Berks county gunsmith. I think gunmaker Peter Gonter was Wolfgang's son in-law. Kind of like connect the dots. I said I was bored! Hope I didn't mess up this too badly. Here is the mountain man link.

http://home.att.net/~mman/index.htm

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I've got a really good book somewhere around my library about Rendezvous and Mountain Men. It actually dates and follows the western Rendezvous and tells about what went on at them. It was one reason I started attending the modern ones for many years. I remember some of the things that went on and I could not believe people could get that wild.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts