Shooters Forum banner

Mouse gun calibers

6K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  Kosh75287 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm looking to start collecting mouse guns more for fun. But I'd like it to be somewhat okay when it's in my pocket too. I've got my eye on the colt mustang, beretta bobcat and tomcat. Even though the slides crack. I'm not really a fan of 380 either from my old lcp2 but I'm sure it's good in the right gun. Maybe I didn't shoot it enough, but I was just wondering if they made Any "mouse guns" in 5.7x28? Or other options then 22, 25, 32, and 380. I was thinking a 5.7 would be slick. But maybe ig would lack power or something. What do you guys like and dislike? What to stay away from? what's fun? Thanks!!

#7 ·
I'll add my two cents for the Tanfoglio GT-27 in .25 ACP. Mine has been reliable and despite the rudimentary sights can be surprisingly accurate. Mine has the cast zinc frame, but if you can find one of the very old (pre 1968) ones, it will have a machined steel frame.

I'd also expect it to be relatively cheap. In many ways, it's just a cheap little nothing, but I've always liked it and admired its simplicity. I think I paid around $70 for a brand new one in 1989.

#8 · (Edited)
A couple years ago I got a hair across my butt to have a mouse pocket piece. I was very attracted to those Beretta and the American Arms pieces you mentioned. Then I came across some youtube videos on the new Taurus PT22 Poly. I kept searching and couldn't find a negative range report, so, I bought their Stainless version. I will not buy a pot metal firearm,... ever!

This is the one I got, It had some feed issues with high velocity ammo if not lubed correctly, but, I prefer heavy weight sub-sonic's, which it has been absolutely FLAWLESS in function and EXTREMELY accurate!

I normally would not recommend a Taurus product. I have only bought one, previously, and learned my lesson. I took a chance on this and glad I did!

All the best!

Reactions: rvance and gemihur
#11 · (Edited)
Mouse gun.
Before I was somewhat educated, and before there WAS an internet, I bought a used Sterling in .25.
I could only find Winchester ammo for it. The first time I shot it, it had fail to feed issues, fail to eject issues, then the extractor broke.
Eventually got the extractor replaced. Shot it one other time and it worked OK. It sits in a box somewhere in my garage now...

All my other hand guns are cats and dogs.

Jack, Is yours a CZ-45? Lucky to have one of those rare ones.

#13 ·
Yes it is a Model 45 that's dated '47. I also have a Model 46 with brown grips, also marked '47, so really don't know the story. They're mechanically identical.

#14 ·
One that may suit you...

Reactions: rvance
#16 ·
Bought a .25 Raven from a coworker for $25.00 years ago-he mentioned the bore was ruined and you couldn't hit much of anything past about 10 feet. Shot it a few times and confirmed he was right. Found it in the safe many years later and tried cleaning the bore-no rifling to be seen. After a lot of work started to see rifling and eventually the bore looked almost new-lots of copper and lead build up. Gun is accurate and has never malfunctioned, trigger is the absolute worst of any gun I ever owned. I have a bunch of mouse guns from .22 short-.380 not for self protection just because they are fun and as long as you don't pay too much can be a good investment that's easy to liquidate if times get tough. Some of the older imports are miniature works of art.

#32 ·
Maybe, but it's full of small, strange springs of questionable durability and it's a PITA to work on. My girlfriend's example has broken the sear/pawl spring & the striker spring in the past three months. It is accurate, though - at seven yards, it'll put six shots on a nickel.

#24 ·
I've had a Tomcat for 25 years that has had all kinds of ammo including Buffalo Bore with no cracks of any kind. Even if the frame does crack, it doesn't hurt anything because it isn't in a critical area. If it cracks, just clean it up with a Dremel and a magic marker and carry on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.