Shooters Forum banner

Moving from PA to NY - need advice on handguns

3384 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  JazzDoc
Hope I'm posting this in the correct Forum discussion area.

My wife and I live in Pennsylvania. Between us we own eight handguns (revolvers and pistols).

We have licenses to carry here in PA. We are thinking of moving to New York State (Buffalo) and are very interested in finding out what the procedure is so that we can have our guns registered and ourselves licensed to carry in NYS so that we can continue to enjoy our guns.

Can anybody clue me in as to what I need to know, and is it even do-able?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.
1 - 1 of 16 Posts
Greg is on the right track. I would strongly suggest that you consider having them transferred from an FFL dealer in PA to one in NY unless the County permit department tells you otherwise. If you bring them into NY prior to obtaining a permit you are legally unlicensed and therefore in violation of law. So, like if you had a car accident and they were in the car or, god forbid if they were taken, or any other interaction with a LE official in NY, you have a real problem. Like others have said I would call the County Clerks Office and pose the scenario to them. I would bet they have been through this before. In the interim or until you are settled and established in NY, keep them in a legal safe place in PA like with a licensed FFL dealer. Good luck, Peter.
1 - 1 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.