·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Interesting.
Looks like a takeoff of the old chain shot for cannons. It looks like the price is very high, $50-$60 for ten rounds. Couldn't afford much practice.
Theory seems sound but I'm not sure it would really be practical. It seems with so many pieces involved there's a lot of room for something to go wrong. I think I'll stick with what I know for now.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Interesting. I cannot however see why you would want to have the shell in a 12 gauge. I am assuming the shotgun would be a 'defence' gun, therefore super short cylinder barrel in which I would plump for a load of 5s anyway. Taking the average length of a room or alleyway in an American home as around 15 to 20ft, I would not want to be on the receiving end of 1 1/2oz of #5s. A handgun , then I can see the possibilities and of course the personal protection weapon would be ready loaded with these expensive cartridges and only used for purpose not for target practise. The $50 then doesn't seem too expensive as Insurance goes. Hopefully they would go mouldy before you had to use them. I think I might go for a revolver, was it called The Judge ??? with some 410 shells loaded with #4s or #5s and practise hitting the assailants nose first round and other lower extremity with the second, followed by some OO Buck somewhere in the middle. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Interesting. I cannot however see why you would want to have the shell in a 12 gauge. I am assuming the shotgun would be a 'defence' gun, therefore super short cylinder barrel in which I would plump for a load of 5s anyway. Taking the average length of a room or alleyway in an American home as around 15 to 20ft, I would not want to be on the receiving end of 1 1/2oz of #5s. A handgun , then I can see the possibilities and of course the personal protection weapon would be ready loaded with these expensive cartridges and only used for purpose not for target practise. The $50 then doesn't seem too expensive as Insurance goes. Hopefully they would go mouldy before you had to use them. I think I might go for a revolver, was it called The Judge ??? with some 410 shells loaded with #4s or #5s and practise hitting the assailants nose first round and other lower extremity with the second, followed by some OO Buck somewhere in the middle. Much cheaper.
Yes sir, it's the Judge ! Sus, have you seen these ?

Rossi USA

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Neat!! Like those. I had the pleasure of seeing a super collection of very old revolving rifles, Colt I believe. They were part of a collection of Mr Schriner(?) of the Y O Ranch in Texas. I learned that those fancy cuffs we kids always had in our cowboy outfits at Christmas were actually a practical necessity with these rifles, because of the hot gases and lead splinters exiting to the side of the chamber. Has this problem been solved with these Rossi rifles ?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks fred243.
Over the past few years, having a Rifle and Hand Gun that shoot the same ammo has become more interesting to me. I understand that using Pistol Ammo in a Rifle presents limitations, but, being able to functionalize both "appliances" with ammo you don't have to sort through seems practical.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Neat!! Like those. I had the pleasure of seeing a super collection of very old revolving rifles, Colt I believe. They were part of a collection of Mr Schriner(?) of the Y O Ranch in Texas. I learned that those fancy cuffs we kids always had in our cowboy outfits at Christmas were actually a practical necessity with these rifles, because of the hot gases and lead splinters exiting to the side of the chamber. Has this problem been solved with these Rossi rifles ?

Yes sir, they put gas deflector shields on both sides now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts