Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neck of the woods, a tiny town of less than 500 nestled in the hills of southeastern Ohio, an area I've come to call "Upper Appalachia". When I was growing up the town was surrounded by coal company land and Wayne National Forest land. There was always speculation that one day the coal company would sell its wasteland to the national forest, but that never came to pass. I was free to roam this broad expanse of land as a youngster and watched as a near vanished population of deer and other game grew to become quite a population with some of the biggest bucks around. Recently someone did purchase a major part of the old coal company land, 6600 acres was purchased by the state of Ohio with money left them by some benefactor to establish a Wildlife Area. It includes land right up to the edge of my little town, so it will never grow beyond what it is, didn't really expect it too, with the mines and the railroad long gone, it has only gotten smaller over time. I'm in the flatlands of N. Indiana now, and I miss the hills and hollows of back home. It's a beautiful land and it's good to know it will never again be spoiled by strip mines and clearcutting.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
How'd you wind up in Kendallville? I've had the fortune of visiting both locales and have to admit, you came out on the wrong end of that move! :)

Were you in the part of OH where you had PCR regulations on the rifles you could use for deer hunting? Do you plan to get back there each fall, to hunt?

·
Banned
507 Posts
I live near Somerton, Ohio, which is in the Ohio River Valley, nearest big city is Wheeling W.V. This is the country where coal is king.

Southeastern Ohio is being criss crossed with natural gas pipelines, not fun to be around those areas. We just had one completed and two more are planned for the area.

Wayne national forest is just down the road from. Great place to hunt.

Jerry

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I've heard those pipeline right of ways can provide some good open areas to hunt, once the work crews finally move on and the vegetation fills back in a bit. I even read an article where guys are going out and planting chufa in those open lanes for the turkeys to be attracted to and benefit from.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
They can really help in dense, brushy areas as can powerline cuts. New and different vegetation grows which may attract the animals. Edge habitat is always useful.

That being said, need to be done running dozers, etc., through them before hunting season.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Currently, the local wildlife has been scattered around since the construction, So I had fewer deer on my property this winter, but now I have a fox problem.

Jerry

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
In the thick cover of N Louisiana, pipelines are a popular place to hunt. Nearly every pipeline you cross on the highway has deer stands visible. My personal deer stand is on an old power highline. I can see about 200 yards north and south. East and west is nothing but thick cutover. I have shooting lanes cut for about 50 yards into the cutover each way. With the exception of a few hardwood bottoms, your average shooting distance is about 30 yards unless you are on a pasture, pipeline or highline.

·
Banned
507 Posts
It snowed at least 5 nches today, when the weather guy says outher laying areas and those places of altitude, he means me.

Jerry

·
Banned
507 Posts
I have a nice 100 yard reange in the backyard and put a level on my deck that allows me scan the back field for varmints and other critters.

Jerry

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,739 Posts
Sounds like you have a nice setup.
Mike, note that I have removed the link from your signature. It appears to be commercial advertising which is not allowed without permission from the board owner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts