Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Ruger Precision 22l for my kids. Put a $20 muzzle brake, 6-24x50,bipod and mono to look like the big gun. After 500rds of good groups I took it off to tighten up the groups but they gained 1/4" at 100yds and 10" gong at 300yds went from hit after hit to every other shot or worst. Put it back on and tight groups returned. Anybody else seen this with a muzzle break on 22l?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,279 Posts
Any kind of weight at the muzzle can affect accuracy, one way or the other. Don't know till you try.....

·
Registered
149 Posts
You could try removing the brake and then adjusting the torque on the action screw(s) in small amounts and see if that helps or hurts. Some rifles like a bit of tuning in this manner, some don't.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could try removing the brake and then adjusting the torque on the action screw(s) in small amounts and see if that helps or hurts. Some rifles like a bit of tuning in this manner, some don't.
1st thought was to check that because results were so weird. I made sure it was tight without torque wrench at the time. Always believed if it works don't fix it. I will just have to deal with the giggles it gets from others, oh well. Still wondering if I have the only 22lr that does this

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I've shot some 22 rf bench rest matches for fun before and seen some big dollar 22's with barrel weights on them. But never a muzzle brake so to speak. Those shooters do a lot of testing with different ammo and adjust the weights as they go to find the sweet spot. But if it works for you and see the benefit then go for it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's entirely possible that the muzzle brake you have is the correct weight for the gun as you have it set up, and is acting similar to the weights mentioned above. Actually those "weights" are called tuners on BR RF rifles, and do work. Have you tried different brands of ammo to see which brand the gun really prefers. Rimfires are extremely sensitive to ammo, with some "lots" shooting better than other "lots" of the same brand. It all depends on if you want to devote any time to it or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's entirely possible that the muzzle brake you have is the correct weight for the gun as you have it set up, and is acting similar to the weights mentioned above. Actually those "weights" are called tuners on BR RF rifles, and do work. Have you tried different brands of ammo to see which brand the gun really prefers. Rimfires are extremely sensitive to ammo, with some "lots" shooting better than other "lots" of the same brand. It all depends on if you want to devote any time to it or not.
I have tried every ammo / combination. The CCI mini mags are the best ammo for this gun. This is the ammo that gets the weird results with/without the brake. All other ammo from Thunder Bolt to Winchester makes no difference. Back in 2011 bulkammo had thunderbolts 40gr 5000rd case for $168 and I bought 5 cases so thats what it eats the most

·
Registered
149 Posts
Without spending some $$ on the good stuff (CX or 10x), it is what it is. The good stuff may settle it down, but if the kids are happy with it, let it be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts