Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, does anyone know the laws on muzzle brakes and if they are legal to use for HUNTING? Thanks

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
A brake does not lessen the sound from a rifle. There is nothing (such as baffles) in a brake that reduces the velocity of the escaping gases. I should think that any concerns about an "unlicensed" silencer are unwarranted. Rather, a brake redirects the sound into a sort of "cone" that proceeds forward from the muzzle. Sound from an unbraked muzzle emanates outward in an omnidirectional wave similar to what we see when we cast a pebble into a pond: The sound goes out in all directions from the impact. A brake funnels more of the sound forward. The energy of the expanding gases is also vectored forward, which reduces the energy of the recoil.

As for any laws regarding the use of muzzle brakes on hunting rifles in Canada, I'd consult Google. A great deal of information can be discovered there...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Not sure on laws, but if you have a guide (like all us "aliens" must have), he will despise you for it, as it is horrible on his ears. I have seen many hunters in Canada with muzzle breaks on their rifles (the guides hate them), but it has been about 4 or 5 years, so there may have been a law change, don't know--but consider others!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks! I also have questions about how an aluminum arrowhead Barrett style muzzle brake would hold up on a 308? And if a camp on muzzle brake is the way to go or if I should get a threaded muzzle brake and make a collet style tightening piece to clamp it on the barrel? (I dont want to pay to get my barrel threaded and I'm not sure which method would hold better)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Okay thanks! I also have questions about how an aluminum arrowhead Barrett style muzzle brake would hold up on a 308? And if a camp on muzzle brake is the way to go or if I should get a threaded muzzle brake and make a collet style tightening piece to clamp it on the barrel? (I dont want to pay to get my barrel threaded and I'm not sure which method would hold better)
Are you wanting to brake a 308? Is the recoil in a 308 too much for you? FS

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No not really but I thought if can find a cheap one, why not throw it on to reduce recoil as much as possible?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
No not really but I thought if can find a cheap one, why not throw it on to reduce recoil as much as possible?
They are not illegal at all, but you should think long and hard about the consequences of using one to the shooter and anyone close by. They make a gun destructive to hearing at levels that cannot be ignored. They are horrible for anyone standing to the side of the shooter (something that happens at times when hunting.)

The recoil level of a .308 is far easier and less harmful to you and others than is the muzzle blast of a braked .308. My advice is don't do it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Clemmer

Limbsaver make an over the shoulder pad that you wear over your jacket, it is a fantastic piece of kit for helping your shoulder. I wear mine no matter what caliber I am shooting. And way cheaper than a brake and everyone at the range won't hate you. FS

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hello, does anyone know the laws on muzzle brakes and if they are legal to use for HUNTING? Thanks
I hunt in BC and Alberta regularly and am not aware of any legislative restrictions on muzzle brakes.

They are an obnoxious addition to a rifle though and manage to annoy and/or piss off everyone around the user. If you really need a muzzle brake on a 308 perhaps you should consider using a 243.

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Rather than have a "brake" put on your rifle barrel, It is much better for all way around, to have a "recoil pad" worn on your shoulder. There are several on the market (cost $40 dollars) that are 15% of a muzzle brake in cost. PAST RECOIL PAD is one of the very best. I have 2 of them sown on my vest, they work great for the last 12 years, used them in Africa using a big bore rife .470-Capstick.:)

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
PAST RECOIL PAD is one of the very best...
I have one of the magnum ones, I think it is. Maybe it's just the biggest they make; can't remember. I had to cut the straps and sew in some additional webbing because even the large wasn't big enough to go around my girth. Just something to watch for if you're a big man. And yes, they tame the recoil of big kickers very well. I shot my .358-caliber mildcat maybe a hundred times in one sittin' while wearing one. Had no soreness in my shoulder the next day. Recommended...

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
If you really need a muzzle brake on a 308 perhaps you should consider using a 243.
I have one on a .22LR just because a wrinkled old hag in Kalifonia doesn't want me to have one on the custom-built 10/22 I built. Doesn't want me to have the rifle, either. It has a thumbhole stock-- too close to having the dreaded pistol grip, I guess...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have one on a .22LR just because a wrinkled old hag in Kalifonia doesn't want me to have one on the custom-built 10/22 I built. Doesn't want me to have the rifle, either. It has a thumbhole stock-- too close to having the dreaded pistol grip, I guess...
nvshooter,

Sorry I don't understand the reference. Is this with respect to some kind of legislation in California? If so you have my sincere sympathy as in Canada we have a 3/4ton pickup load of stupid firearms legislation.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
No matter how cheap I do not see the relevance in putting a muzzle brake on a 308. A moderator/silencer YES. I just cannot understand why the US and Canada are so against moderators. We have had them almost pressed onto us in the UK for many years now and now they are getting to be much smaller, I have one now barely six inches long and 1 1/4 inches wide. Reduces damage to hearing and causes less disturbance to the environment.
I have an integral muzzle brake on my 300 H&H and it does reduce recoil considerably. I also have one on my 257RRI wildcat but not my choice really. The guy who did the barrel for me added the removable muzzle brake as an extra, thinking he was doing me a favour. That brake is seriously evil if you are anywhere in the side or rear when it goes off.

All of the muzzle brakes I have seen either direct gases to the rear, upwards and to the rear, or sideways. The comment by NVshooter that a brake forces sound/gases forward confuses me, but there again I am easily confused.
I always thought the idea of having gas forced backwards pulled the recoil away from you and upwards it reduced muzzle flip ??????????????

Anyway, spend your Canadian dollars on taking your wife or just yourself out for a good meal and forget the muzzle brake.

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
nvshooter,

Sorry; I don't understand the reference. Is this with respect to some kind of legislation in California? If so you have my sincere sympathy, as in Canada we have a 3/4-ton pickup load of stupid firearms legislation.
Yes, puddle, it's about the mindless legislation with which the senior Senator from Kalifonia is so enamored. This aged female suffers from uncontrollable incontinence if any American citizen owns a firearm with "assault weapon" features particular to it. My 10/22 build-up has the muzzle brake and the OEM ten-round removable magazine. That's two of the five "deadly " attributes of an "assault weapon." That makes my simple, little 10/22 a dreaded machine designed solely to kill vast numbers of innocent people in an endless "spray" of bullets. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? Well, that is what we have coming out of Warshington. So I put the muzzle brake on just to irritate the old broad. It cost me a total of $265 for the job, but it satisfies my desire to remain Free and I enjoyed sticking my thumb in her legislative eye. She'll never know about it, of course. But I do...

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
. The comment by NVshooter that a brake forces sound/gases forward confuses me, but there again I am easily confused.
I had some reservations about that part of my post, too. The brake I've had put on several of my rifles is the Shrewd Number Four. The holes are drilled at a angle raked forward by seven degrees. In contrast, the long brake on an AK-47 directs the gases directly outward. The short brake on such a rifle directs the gases upward and to the right. The large, triangular brake on a .50-caliber BMG rifle directs the gases rearward. I guess it all depends on the application...

The above-left is my preferred muzzle brake, the Shrewd Number Four, on my .358-caliber mildcat. Notice the holes are angled forward. Might be hard to see in such a small image. I like these because they can be machined to match your barrel profile. This one is so oversized because I did not know the diameter of the barrel when the barrel was ordered. Turns out the brake is a welcome addition, even though it ruins the lines of the rifle.

The above-right is the long AK brake to which I made earlier reference. Notice the port directs the gases directly perpendicular to the bore, or at least at what appears to be a slightly rotated angle with respect to the unseen grip if we say the grip is vertical. Might be how the rifle set against the wall when I took the picture. Word is this brake is very effective. I wouldn't know. I bought this rifle in Spring 2007 and have fired it a total of 40 times. I think I fired it in Summer 2007; hasn't been out of the case since then...

·
Banned
58 Posts
I just took my 7Mag to Saskatchewan on a whitetail hunt with the Muzzle brake attached and drove through customs, paid the $25 fee they inspected my rifles and said I was good to go so I would definitely have to say they are legal. Matter of fact another guy I met and hunted with up there had one. I read through all of the paperwork and there are a lot of rules and regs but, nothing on Muzzle brakes.

Here's a little something for you with a web address that gives you all the rules:

The Canadian Federal Government requires non-resident hunters to purchase a permit to bring firearms into Canada. The permit costs $25.00 CDN. You can put three firearms on one permit. It is recommended to fill out the permit form in advance by downloading (PDF) it from the Canadian Firearms Centre at Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Canadian Firearms Program | Gendarmerie royale du Canada - Programme canadien des armes feu or by calling 1-800-731-4000.

·
Banned
4,916 Posts
Non-resident hunters...

Can an American on his way to Alaska drive through Canada with his collection of highly-accessorized AR-15s? I've heard those small, bolt-on, krypton flashlights turn the quiet, meek and self-effacing Harvey Milquetoast types into brash, arrogant loudmouths that would make a WWE wrestler look like a seminarian who has taken a vow of silence. Just wonderin'...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts