Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other forums do not get as much traffic as this one so I thought I would ask this question.

After a thorough cleaning including oil in the barrel, how long do the rifles need to be stored muzzle down?

Also, I have a rifle that has been fouled for hunting season and I still have it put up muzzle down. Is this necessary?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,129 Posts
UTGrad -

Posting on the board is done by subject matter - not by the traffic count. If the topic is better suited for a particular forum, that's where it belongs - not figuring where it will get the maximum exposure.

This post will be left in this forum as it refers to rifles.

How long the firearm is left muzzle down really depends on how much oil or preservative you left in the bore upon finishing cleaning. When it quits coming out the muzzle, it has sat long enough.

A fouled bore does not require sitting muzzle down. Nothing to run out of it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Its not really a good idea to leave a fouled rifle muzzle down. Muzzle down caps off the barrel and doesnt let it breath. If moisture gets trapped inside the barrel while muzzle down it has no way of getting out. Combine that with the copper and powder remnants still in the barrel and you could have a problem.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Hmmmm.... all this time I've been shooting and cleaning my rifles, and I have yet to store one muzzle down. I nevr thought I would've left that much oil in the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
3,828 Posts
It depends

After a thorough cleaning I leave a light film of oil and gun grease in the bore and on the exterior metal. Never had to store the guns muzzle down. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Never Hear'ed Of Dat

Muzzle down.....oil in bbl ????

Never(ever)heard of either of them. No "oil",ever,goes into my bbls. Almost any bbl cleaner will leave a light coating of protective in the bbl so as to not need anything else.

For my bbls, the final patches are a very light coating of either Break Free(CLP) or WD-40, followed by several dry patches. Then into the safe(bbl up). -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
599 Posts
The only rifle I ever store muzzle down is my muzzleloader because the flash hole can get filled causing a problem. My centerfire rifles are always stored muzzle up. :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, this is news to me. I run a patch of Hoppe's lubricating oil slowly through the bore with one pass. I've always heard to store rifles muzzle down since any oil will work back into the action over time if stored muzzle up.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I seem to remember mention in Ordnance Went Up Front that Browning's magnificant BAR could be turned into a straight-pull bolt action by being stored muzzle up after an over-generous cleaning and oiling.

The earlier post suggesting leaving your rifle muzzle down just until stuff stops running out the muzzle is a good one. If noting comes out, you have not left too much in the bore.

The Old Guy

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Hmmmm.... all this time I've been shooting and cleaning my rifles, and I have yet to store one muzzle down. I nevr thought I would've left that much oil in the barrel.
Me neither... I simply put a little oil on a patch and run it through the bore...

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,129 Posts
You'd be suprised at the amount of oil that will wick down the bore of even the longest barrel when "just an oiled patch" is run down it.

As a matter of practice, I use a slightly oiled patch down a final cleaned bore, let it lay in the cleaning rack for a day or so and then place it muzzle down in a box with shop rags in the bottom for another couple of days. Then, they go upright into the gun vaults. Never worry about excess oil draining into the actions or stock.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I use the Aerosol Rem Oil and spray it on a patch, so its pretty lightly oiled.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
This thread has me thinking some on how I store my firearms!
I want everything to exit via the muzzle. Won't be as handy to set back in the rack unless I re-invent my rack. A new winter project is born. Thanks to this board.

Cheezywan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,711 Posts
I use the Aerosol Rem Oil and spray it on a patch, so its pretty lightly oiled.
Yeah I just do a slight "ring" of oil around where the jag will poke it, and run back and forth through the bore a few times. Figure that ought to do it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have never stored my guns muzzle down, never even crossed my mind. There is a muzzle down there that can't be nicked or smashed. After my barrels get clean, I'll dry patch the barrel out and leave the Stainless barrels alone, and swab the blued barrels with an oil patch then a dry patch. They never sit with any sort of liquid in them unless I'm trying to get copper out with sweet's or something, but only for a few minutes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts