Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short...I am looking to purchase a percussion cap muzzleloader (.50 cal).

I have it narrowed down to the Pedersoli Country Hunter and the Pedersoli Scout (carbine).

Things I am wondering about are:

Recoil potential and gun fit.

I have arthritis, so I don't want anything too heavy...yet I want it heavy enough to have less recoil. I prefer to shoot standing. I also am keen to try the trail target shoots (so I'll have to carry it through the bush for a few hours).

The Country Hunter looks more or less like a modern rifle - and that is what I'm used to. However it is light and do I want a full stock? It doesn't have one.

The Scout (carbine) has a very different crescent butt - and drop at comb. I have no idea if I would find that comfortable or not, since I can't try it in advance. But...if it's more accurate for target shooting...

Any and all advice and opinions greatly appreciated! :D

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Remember, if you're doing shoots, such as trail walks etc.. that does not mean you have to load them hot. Many times a mere 50 grains of powder is all you need. I would pay attention to the twist of the rifles as you will want to be shooting round ball. So a slow twist is usually better for roundball shooting.

Have you considered other brands of rifles? I personally like the Lyman rifles. I have a Trade Rifle and a Great Plains Rifle. While they are a little more heavy, they too are good shooters. But I have heard the Pedersoli shoot real good, so you might be making a great choice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I am a little limited in what I can get (without looking/waiting forever or jumping through hoops)...and I think I'll be happy with the Pedersoli.

If I leave it too long...it will be winter again...and I refuse to shoot in -40 C weather, lol.

I can't find any practical information about the comfort of the butt - and how I need to rest my cheek in order to sight - and I am worried if I make the wrong choice - and the gun is uncomfortable to position (or gives me a black eye during recoil)...I won't use it. I am also worried if I play it safe...I'll be regretting not trying the Scout...

Not the end of the world (either way) by any means...but it's a headache I'm trying to avoid...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Isn't that Country Hunter a very light 5.73 lbs?

The thing that bugged me about most of the Pedersoli's is the small trigger guard for cold weather applications. It was the reason I sold my Pedersoli Rolling Block after only one winter using it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes.

It's very light.

I haven't read anything negative about the weight though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went with the Country Hunter.

If nothing else...it is very pretty...in a no nonsense way!

·
Registered
767 Posts
recoil won't be an issue with moderate black powder loads and a round ball. Have fun.

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
FreeRange

Sounds like you did just fine. I would recommend reading Lyman's Blackpowder Handbook which is a wealth of information. Take care. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

Recoil sensitive folks should stay as far away as they can from a rifle with a crescent butt - no matter how accurate it may/maynot be.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
more like, a person with a crescent buttplate should learn how to hold it so it doesnt hurt.

I've long known the proper way to shoot crescent-butt rifles, and personally have NP shooting them - but they're still tough to shoot, for a recoil-challenged (for whatever reason) shooter.

I stand by my statement.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I owned and hunted with a .50 Pedersoli "Cub", essentially the same rifle as the scout. I'm not recoil sensitive but DO have arthritis. A charge of 30 grains of 3F or 2F makes a very good target load. A load of 50 to 60 grains will kill any deer you shoot with it. Recoil with both loads is "powder puff" and there's no reason to go to heavier charges.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Isn't that Country Hunter a very light 5.73 lbs?
At 5.73lbs, it's gonna be a pretty light charge to avoid recoil, if recoil is an issue. Especially if multiple shots are in the mix wearing summer weight clothes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts