Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to try shooting slugs in some of my muzzleloading shotguns,I would use 1oz slugs in a 12 or 16 ga shotgun.how much black powder should I use?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
What slugs are you planning to use? The typical "slug" used in a ML shotgun is a tightly patched round ball. I use .715" diameter round balls (weight = 550 grains) and 0.010" patches. The powder load is 85 grains of FFg, about three drams of BP. Navy Arms 12 gauge SXS.
Pete

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Bpi

Remember one thing before you try using the DGS from BPI.
It was designed for use in shotshells, not muzzleloaders. It has an integral plastic wad and BP is not kind to plastic.
I wanted to try something similar with their AQ slug. I could not get it down the barrel of the shotgun that I wanted to use.
Let us know how it goes.
Pete

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Best bet:

I find that a hard cast .690 round ball with a pillow ticking patch seated on a fibre wad and hard over powder card shoots very well with a 100gr charge of FFg. This load holds 4 inch point of aim groups at 40 yards with just the bead front sight on my New Englander.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.