Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pics of my 1895G. I have finally broken into the big bore world. Scotty

·
Registered
224 Posts
you entered into an awesome world. .45-70 marlins are addicting... you can add so much accessories to em to upgrade them. the xs lever rail with ghostrings is a good place to start. You can extend the mag tube, I just mounted a red dot on mine. You can kill anything on the planet with a .45-70 with the right load... one guy took his to africa and took the big 5 with a marlin guide gun.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greg. I think I am going to stay kinda standard and use Weaver bases, Leupold QD rings, and leave the factory sights on it. I will mount a Leupold 1x4 on it. Just got some 400gr Speers, gotta get some dies next! Scotty

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice!!!! 1895s rock. I've killed a lot of Deer and a Bear with mine over the last 20 years or so I've had it.
They are fine right out of the box too.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase. You will become addicted to these punkin chunkers. I have a 45-70 and a 444 and they are my main hunting guns.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, just got a set of Lee Die and 50 pieces of Winchester brass. I have some H322 and IMR4198 so I think I am good to start up an initial load to make sure the iron sights are zero. I still need to get a set of QD Leupold rings and a VX1 1x4 Leupold shotgun scope. After that, it should be good to! Scotty

·
Registered
7,852 Posts
Well, just got a set of Lee Die and 50 pieces of Winchester brass. I have some H322 and IMR4198 so I think I am good to start up an initial load to make sure the iron sights are zero. I still need to get a set of QD Leupold rings and a VX1 1x4 Leupold shotgun scope. After that, it should be good to! Scotty

That's the same scope I put on my 1895. I really like the heavy duplex reticle it has! It'll make a fine package on the GG.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I have the Triple 4 version and its a great gun, it shoots under 2" groups with the irons and Marshall has posted some sub half inch groups with a scope and his bullets. The Marlin big bores are very capable of good accuracy. I've seen guys shooting Winchester lever guns off hand and knocking over steel at distances from 200-500 yards, lever guns have a lot of capability despite what the gun rags have to say! Good shooting!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I just got back from turkey hunting, and after we got done hunting, I shot my 15 loads, 44-45-46gr of IMR4198. I have no clue about the speeds, as I didn't chrono anything, but they all shot well. The sights were about a 1ft low at 50 yards. I had to use raise the rear sight all the way up the ramp in order to get it in the bull, but I am there now. I wouldn't ever shoot really far with the factory irons, but this would suffice for alot of the hunting I would do with the rifle. It seems very accurate to me. My groups were in the 1.5" range at 50 yards (with a rangefinder). I think that was about as good as I could hold with irons anyhow. I am sure a scope will shrink the groups down some. It does have a thump to it off the bench. Not horrible or nothing, but it really lets you know it went off! I have the target and will post some pictures later. I used an old oak block as a backstop to capture the bullets. I split it up after shooting and dug a few out. They were gigantic heaps of lead. They look like the turned inside out. Doesn't look like they fragmented, but they did surely expand! Probably an awesome deer or black bear bullet. Scotty

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it is going to be a great rifle. It shot well outta the gate with iron sights and with a scope, it should do really well. I think I am going to go with a 2x7 Leupold SABR. It is meant for Muzzloaders and shotguns using Sabot rounds. I am thinking one of the settings will work with the 45-70. I did order the Leupold QR Weaver Low rings so I should have a solid foundation for the scope. Overall, I am pretty happy. I would like to throw a Pachmayr recoil pad on it. The one that comes with the rifle is pretty solid. It is not terrible, but for 30.00 I think the new recoil pad would help it out some. Scotty

·
Registered
707 Posts
Never used H322 . If hot is your flavor , best I can remember , the 4198 will go pretty hot .

So will 3031 and one of the RX powders ( forget which ) .

You can load the Marlin hot enough to RATTLE YOUR ANCESTORS . :)

Or down to my cream puff load of 13.6 grains of Unique .

For cast bullets , Marlins like big bullets , .460" or maybe a tad larger .

My standard bullet is the lee 405 grain .460" Hollow Base bullet .

God bless
Wyr

·
Registered
571 Posts
You will love that Guide Gun. It's my go-to weapon. I use it for walks in the woods, coyote calling and plenty of plinking. It's a blast.

Here is mine (with a red dot scope system):

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some pictures with the scope on it.

Can't wait to zero it and really see how it shoots at some distance. Scotty

·
Registered
827 Posts
Nice gun! And what a great caliber for reloading, as well! They do tend to multiply though, I started with a 1895GS and added a Ruger No. 1 in the same caliber.

Andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts