Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update: My .260 vs whitetails (first and now second hunts with it)

Well... I just got back from my week long hunt with my folks back home. I took my new T/C Encore Pro Hunter with 24" MGM .260 Remington barrel with me. Long story short: fantastic rifle and caliber, glad I got it. I was using factory loaded Remington Green Box 140gr Core-Lokt.

To the story:

The bucks don't seem to have gone into rut yet. There were scattered tales of people getting nice bucks with swollen necks but I didn't see any signs of rutting bucks in the three areas I hunted.

The day I arrived at my folks' about 15 minutes after I got there, my cousin and his friend drive up with an 11pt that the friend got that morning (picture of it here: http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=61562). It scored 154 inches. He said he almost passed on it but it walked up and after getting a good look, he decided to take him. So... interesting start to the holiday.

I didn't see any bucks during hunting hours and ended up taking four does throughout the week as darkness fell -- last light, didn't see any buck each days and I needed to restock my freezer so before I had to shut down for the day, I was taking does if they were there at last light. Our bag limit is 5 does for the year, I saved one doe slot for my trip home for Christmas hunting. I hope the bucks are as forthcoming as the does were this past week :)

The first doe was on a small food plot at about 50yds. It and one other came out in an unexpected place (always expect the unexpected!) As it ate and the light failed, I aimed for the shoulders. I missed the near leg bone by about half an inch or so but got the far side one. It still ended up being able to run about 10yds from where I hit it. Entrance hole was .26" and the exit was about the size of a nickel, but that doesn't describe the damage done on the way through... clipped the heart, destroyed lungs, etc. and the hole on the exit side was impressive. There was a cavern in there. Unfortunately, when it hit the bone, it did tear up that front quarter a fair amount. It went into the hamburger grinder with some trimming of the bloodshot areas, though. I got to where I shot the doe and turned my flashlight on and there was no problem seeing the blood trail, not that I needed to since it was about 25 feet from where I shot it.

Now, this was the first deer I shot with the .260 and I was impressed. It was only a 50yds shot, but the bullet hit exactly where I planned for it and the great thing about the shot was that it was what I consider 'perfect' in that when I pulled the trigger, I saw the view in the scope go gray from the muzzle flash and the crosshairs were right where I wanted them to be whenit went gray. The low recoil of the .260 guaranteed no flinching and even better, I actually saw the doe in the scope after it was hit. I don't think I've had that happen before with the .30-06 or the .270Win. A perfect start with this rifle and with that, I knew the choice in caliber was a good one.

The second doe was about a 100yds shot. It was on the top of the far ridge overlooking an oak bottom I was watching from a tree stand. The far ridge is pretty steep but has access routes down into the bottom. I had seen a doe up there the day before but passed on her as it was early in the afternoon and I was watching for bucks. The doe walked down the ridge towards me a little and was on the side of the slope about 15 feet from the top so it was a good backstop for the bullet (she was actually higher than me in the tree stand, even though I was about 20 feet high) I had watched her for a little while on the top edge of the ridge feeding but I won't shoot at one up there. I didn't know what she had planned and it was thick the way she was headed so I took the best shot she offered, which was broadside but due to trees as she was walking and eating, the shot ended up being just a little back farther than I normally shoot. Still, it was in the boiler room and took out both lungs, though. When she was hit, she rocketed/tumbled down the rest of the way on the ridge and into the flat below. I'll give her the full distance on that even though she piled up at the bottom and was helped by gravity a bit so I'll say she made it 30yds from the shot. Again, entrance was .26" and the exit was again about nickel sized and it took out ribs on both sides. The lungs were just jelly.

The third doe was about 50yds shot. It was in that same oak bottom with me in that same stand as the second doe. This time though,the doe was feeding in the bottom. She actually presented me with a clean shot as she stepped out in a clean area between two thick areas. Not much really to tell on this one as it was very similar to the first except she ran maybe 15yds and it was a boiler room shot behind the shoulder with no leg bones being hit. .26 entrance and nickel sized exit again.

The fourth doe, the smallest of the four I got over the week, was a little more interesting and a little bit of a failure on my part but actually resulted in the only DRT of the four. It was about 65yds shot with her feeding but in some thick stuff on the side of a ridge. I *thought* I had a clear shot but evidently, there was a twig between it and me. I pulled the trigger and as with the other three shots, the crosshairs were right where I wanted when the scope went gray. The deer dropped in its tracks. Further examination looks like the bullet must have hit a twig because it looked like it entered key-hole but I was extremely fortunate that it did that in its neck, resulting in a broken neck which dropped it in its tracks. The damage was simply incredible all the way through the neck wound.

So... four does and all four were complete pass through with what seems to be really good bullet performance. I was actually hoping for a little more DRT shots but given that three were boiler room shots and all three ran only very short distances (the one long run had a bit of help from gravity) and all three left impressive blood trails (none were needed though since I knew where each had fallen), this .260 Remington will be my go-to whitetail gun from here out for sure.

One other thing... even though I have a 24" barrel, the overall length of the rifle is still very short because it doesn't have any action (bolt or otherwise) to take up more length. It was very usable in the tree stand.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I've said it so many times -- a 140 gr. 6.5 bullet at moderate speeds will work so well that it must be seen to be believed. 6.5x54, 6.5x55, 6.5 BRM, .260 Rem -- all are stars.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Congrats of your freezer full of venison. I got a 135 lb dressed doe myself Thanksgiving morning with my 260 rem. I use 129 Hornady SP.

If you tried a lighter weight bullet, you may find the deer make a few less tracks. I've heard bad things about the 140 grain Remington loading. It tends to be very slow, and doesn't expand as well as it should once the ranges get longer. All your deer were shot up close and personal, but if you were presented with a 150-200yd shot, you might have to track the deer further than you want to.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,314 Posts
Good report, excellent detail. I consider a 30 yard run to be outstanding performance from a bullet, as I have had them run farther than that with the heart literally disconnected from the rest of the deer. A deer can run that far, or farther, on whatever oxygen is left in the body.

The DRTs, in my experience, are just random chance or the result of clipping the spine.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Hey Shane. You did it man. Great report. I am so glad you had a great experience for your return home. I bet those boys at home have something to think about now. Good job!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Great report, and welcome to the 260 REM club.

Maybe it should be the 6.5mm club? The Swede is just too similar to omit.

My results havebeen very similar; some flop, some run a very short ways, but all stopped within sight with great blood trails.

·
Banned
61 Posts
I have used a 6.5 mm too but it was a 6.5 - .284 with 140 gamekings. 2 deer went straight down and one ran a 100 yards with the top of its heart gone. Those long bullets do a excellent job.

·
Registered
147 Posts
congrats on your deers
the 260 is great. but in my wife's rifle (model 7) we had problem with this load. (140 corelokt)
with the short barrel they only go 2550 15 feet in front of the muzzle.
and she shot 3 bucks with it all with very little damage inside. and this year she lost a doe with it
the shot was 25 yards ansd she was sitting with shooting sticks. so i'm pretty confident she had it
close behind the front leg.(the wife group 6-8" at 300 yards).
but we fund little to no blood. it was a mature hard wood strip 300 feet wide per 1800 feet long
and a man alone could almost always see the fields on each sides, and the five of us covered it many times to no avail.
so with a hunt in manitoba coming the following week, i took no chances,and went to the local store and got a box of 120 ballistic tip. she shot a doe the next morning and she went 10 yards
the insides were mush. (something i never saw with the heavier bullet)
she also got her buck in manitoba with the same result.

so it's just to let you know my experience with this particular load. (the longer barrel in yours might make a difference) i tought it might be of interest.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have some 120gr AccuTips and some 120gr Federal Fusion that I want to try out at the range over the next couple weeks and I want to try them on some deer as well :) The 140gr CoreLokt did seem to do a great job for me, though. I'll keep an eye on them, though.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm getting 2550 fps with 140 gr Hornady Interlocks with 42 gr of IMR 4350 in a 16.5" barrel Ruger M77 Compact. I bought it for hunting some of the brushier, short range spots in the Tennessee hills. So far I've shot three does; all fell within 5-30 yards of where they were at the shot. But the farthest shot was only 35 yards.

I have some 120 NBTs and loaded up a few, but the batteries on my chrony went dead and I didn't get any velocity figures.

I'm quite pleased with teh 140s so far, though. If I hunt field edges or places with longer expected shots, I'll carry my 270.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
One of the things that has fascinated me, ever since I started really studying external ballistics and terminal performance of bullets, is how a given caliber, bullet weight and construction can absolutely perform better at killing a deer, when the velocity is kept below a certain level. You would think if a 140gr 6.5mm bullet is very good at 2600fps, the same bullet would be better at 2800fps, when the truth might be that it kills deer faster at an impact velocity of 2400fps!

I guess it isn't really rocket science...just another example of how bigger/faster/tougher is not always better, when it comes to harvesting a deer, quickly.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,987 Posts
Oh-Oh !

You're falling into the "old Fuddy-Duddy" group a lot of us belong to! :D:

Yes, its amazing how the 30-30, 35 Rem, 7x57 and other older chamberings keep collecting game year after year without the "WOW" factor of the hypersonic speeds of the big magnums or WSSM's. Used to be a speed freak myself back in the day. If it bolted out of the muzzle beyond the 3,000 fps range, it was supposed to be magical and plant game dead in their tracks.

Today, the milder chamberings work just fine for my needs.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update, I got a nice little 8pt buck shot in the same spot as doe #2 above and fell within 20 feet of where doe #3 fell above. It was during the Saints game, I had watched most of what I could and left for the stand late, actually. I left the house and climbed into the stand at 2:52 (Central Time - I always try to make note of the time I get there, when I see deer, when I shoot, etc.). I had just put the bullet in when I heard something walking... not sure if it was a deer or squirrel. But about that time, I saw an ear flick so it was a deer. She walked out and was eating and I was debating whether or not to shoot her for freezer meat and I could get back to the game. After about three minutes of watching her eat, I had finally decided to shoot her and raised my rifle and cocked the hammer back and then she moved behind a couple trees so I couldn't see her. So, I uncocked and put the rifle down and figured she'd feed back into sight shortly, which she did but she walked over to some thick brush where I couldn't see her without pausing. I didn't even bring the rifle up for that. I figured my next chance would be a little ways down the ridge, so I saw with the rifle at ready with the butt on my leg but easy to shoulder next sight.

About that time, I noticed some movement and immediately saw it was a larger deer with a rack approacing where I last saw the doe but from the right (the doe had moved from left to right). So, I put the scope on it and saw that it was legal (antlers spread equal to or wider than its ears). I cocked it, and fired. He was quartering away from me so the entry was about 4 ribs or so back from the last one on his left side and the exit just missed his right front shoulder leg bone by about 1/2 inch. When I shot, he 'wilted' a little like he got weak in his knees so I was sure I hit him. He then turned and ran/trotted towards me, down the side of the ridge, and stopped, about 20yds from where I shot him and started looking around. I had reloaded (single shot rifle) while he did that short run and was raising the rifle to put another shot into him if needed, but before I shouldered the rifle, he started wobbling on his feet and collapsed. He kicked about three times and that was it. Glancing at my watch, the time was 3:04pm.

After climbing down and going over to him, I noticed he had 8 points and a 4" drop tine on one side. I'd never gotten a buck with a drop tine on his rack so that's a first. Also, later that night I started thinking about it and I had never gotten an 8pt, either. I've gotten does, and everything from 2pts (spike) up to 10pts (numbers of multiples of some of those) except for an actual clean 8. So, two firsts with this rack :) His carcass (no legs below the knees, no hide, no head, no guts, etc.) weighed 100lbs on the nose (about average for our part of the country) and net 80lbs of meat of various kinds (burger, patty sausage, link sausage, and tenderloin steaks). The rack was small, certainly nothing to worry about mounting, at 12.5" inside spread. The end of one of the main beams broke when it fell, too. I wish it hadn't done that, it would have been better looking, but I'm happy with the meat and rack as they are anyway :)

Again, the 140gr Core-Lokt from the .260 performed excellently. Awesome caliber and bullets. Good thing I hesitated on that doe and she didn't give me another shot opportunity :) Not bad for 12 minutes on the stand :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Great story...your 260 article was part of why I decided to carry my 260 earlier this week, and it got me an 8 pt too. (Pic on Game Pole)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts