Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I brought home the rifle yesterday. Like all lever actions everywhere, it's a beauty just to look at.

It's in great shape cosmetically, no dings or dents, and the bluing is perfect. Action is smooth, smooth, smooth.

So if I may ask my first big question for those of you that understand such things: how do I mount a scope, since I can see no apparent/obvious tapped holes for scope mounting. And the top-eject of brass, how is that worked around ??

Thank You for your help,

Carl

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,993 Posts
For a top ejecting Win. 94, you'll have to mount the scope forward of the receiver, in what is now referred to as a "scout" mounting style. This requires a scope with longer eye relief than the normal scope. Unless using a Non-gunsmithing mount, such as a Square B base system, you'll have to get some holes d&t'd by your competent gunsmith. Check the mail order catalogs for base mounts for the '94 or talk to your gunsmith.

·
Super Moderator
9,490 Posts
You probably won't like this advice, but am going to give it anyway: don't mount a scope at all, mount a reciever sight. Nothing is going to make the .375 a long range rifle so the need for a scope is minimal.

So...now that you are set to ignore that advice, then will have to give a plug for the foward munted scope mentioned in the above post. Just don't go overboard on power or you'll find the loss of field of view a handicap. One of the tings about longer eye relief is that if cuts the field of view...the more power, the less field.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Carl-

I agree with ribbonstone 100%, mount a receiver sight like the Williams F/P or the Lyman if at all possible. If eyesight is the issue and a scope is a must then I would also recommend the "scout" style mount. I had them (Burris Scout Mounts) on a couple of my Leverguns a while back and I liked them well enough. One problem I had was eye relief on 3x and 4x with the Burris 1-4x IER scopes I had mounted on them. In the end I pulled both mounts off and mounted conventional scope mounts on both. I would strongly recommend that if you go the "scout" mount route that you choose a fixed power scope (1x or 2.5x) with generous eye relief.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Beartooth Regular
598 Posts
I have a Marlin in .375Win and it has become my favorite big game rifle. Using warm loads it is accurate at 150 to a little over 200 yards. But, I agree with the guys above. With a top-ejecting rifle I would not bother with a scope. But a good receiver sight on it and a set of firesights -- request the green if you use a Williams, they have e'm but they don't advertize them. This is a terrific caliber. There is reloading info in Taffin's column in the recent issue of "Guns."

·
Registered
680 Posts
While I agree with these fellows that a receiver sight is ideal for your rifle, I do not agree with the scout scope concept. If you feel the need for a scope there are mounts availible that attach to the left side of the receiver using exsisting holes. The scope sits slightly off center to the left so the ejected brass will clear. I used one on a 94 30-30 for the first few years that I deer hunted as a kid. While I do not think it is apealing to the eye, it works very well.

·
Super Moderator
9,490 Posts
Have tried the side mount...it works (will have to rotate the scope 90 degrees so that the windage turret is 'up" and the elevation turret is pointing left...if not, the windage turret sticking out to the right tends to block ejection).. It's also awarkwrad ands slows down aiming a good bit unless you also add a pad to the left of the stock to make your face line up with the scope when you cheek the rifle in a hurry. Have to admint, it's ugly...but so is the scout-scope concept.

While I don't hunt with a .375, do hunt with a modern made '94 in 38-55...255gr. at 1750fps is less vel., but not drastically so. Works well with the reciver sight (Lyman)...light, sleek, and fast.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beartooth has (apparently ??) been down for a couple of days ?? I kept getting error messages the past two days.

WOW !! You folks are fantastic !! Thank You Very Much for the guidance and wisdom.

As for me: a scope is a must because of near-sightedness, I simply cannot use iron sights. In this case, I'll probably go with a small Bushnell red dot sight like I have on a couple of other rifles, but keep my scope options in mind while I'm figuring things out.

Now to do some homework and find out what all these different configurations look like. I'm not particularly concerned with "looks and appearance" because of my need for a scope/red dot.

for TedH: you mention side mounts that attach to existing holes... YESSIR, that's for me !! That way I can have my scope, and save a couple hundred bucks drilling holes I'd rather not drill (one of the local gunsmiths told me not to drill any holes if at all possible.... but he'd drill & tap for $50/hole).

SO.... who is the brand-name for side mounts that use existing holes ??

Thanks, you folks are Great !!!

Carl

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,993 Posts
WOWEEEEEEEEE !!!!

50 bucks a hole??????

My gunsmith charges $15/hole and does a darned nice job of it. I'd be discouraged too, if I had to pay $50 each!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, $50/hole....

the other local gunsmith says, "$50/hour labor charge."

Either way, I'm definitely gonna look for the No Drill/Tap side mount.

So far my internet searching has only found the Weaver #3C Side Mount Base at Brownells Gunsmithing... $14. It looks like no drill/tap is necessary, it simply bolts up to the left side of the receiver using thumb screws. I plan to get the Long version (3.7" between rings).
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=15763

I'd sure appreciate a few comments on this one..... is it what I'm hoping it is ?? That is: quick and easy and no hassle to install ?? I'm an all-function person.... pretty isn't necessary for me.

Thanks Much,

Carl

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track. 50 bucks a hole is outrageous for drilling and tapping. 15 to 20 seems to be about average from what I've seen. I don't recall the make of the mount that was on that old 30-30 that I used back then. The only bad thing about it was the fact that with the scope rotated to the left 90 degrees, sighting in could get a little confusing. Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep.....

Well, I found a Williams receiver sight, and it requires drill&tap.

And my pal in WA says I should get a Tang Sight, he showed me one made by Lyman. He says if I have to drill&tap, a tang sight would be "cool" and serviceable, even with nearsightedness.

Anyway, I'm still doing my research ..... and leaning toward the Weaver #3C Side Mount from Brownells.

Your comments and opinions are most welcome !!!

Cheers,

Carl

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't think that Weaver mount that you were talking about is what you want. You may want to call Brownells and ask for details on how that mounts. I did a little digging and found the mount that I would recommend for you.

side mount

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TedH,

just back from a great 4-day weekend in the mountains.

Thank You for the continued help, it's needed. As you suggested, I'll give Brownells a call and see what's what.

And thank you for the Kwik-Site mount alternative. I'll also give them a call and see what they have to say.

Cheers,

Carl

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey Carl,
I know you! Hehehe.

Do not get the #2 lyman peep site. They move too much and don't work. (I got one for sale like new in the box for $50 bucks if ya want one.)

The one I use is an original Marbles sight with a locking adjuster. The older original Lyman sights are good too. The new ones no good!

To my knowledge you can not side mount a scope to your lever without drilling some holes. you Winchester should have to holes on the rear of the receiver for a side mount peep site? But not holes up front for scope mounts. Besides, Winchesters are a top eject and you may find that the scope gets into the way. (One of the reasons Marlins became real popular)

I do not use scopes on my levers so I am not a big help, but that is what I know so far.:rolleyes:

You ever find someone to reload for you? you were supposed to come up to my place remember?

Oh yeah-you were out in the woods!

I was repacking wheel bearings in my truck. Hehehe

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I figured I should post an update to what I've done. Because of bad eyes I cannot use the iron sights.

1. a fellow here at the forum was kind enough to send me a Kwik-Site side mount !! I added a 3-9x42 scope.
Just yesterday I took it to the range for the first time. I got it sighted-in at 20 yards.... nice grouping. Now I'll head back again in the next couple of weeks and get it sighted in for 50 yards and 75 yards as I become more familiar with the rifle.

2. I ordered a Williams 5D peep sight which is on it's way. I'll remove the Kwik-Site setup, install the Williams, and head back to the range to see how I like it.

Cheers,

Carl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts