Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my 30-06 with the Hogue Mold Over Stock (full aluminum bedding block) and a new Bushnell 4200 3-9x40mm. This configuration will be what I use to finish my load redo on the 30-06 which a friend of mine has helped out a great deal by providing load data program info which has saved me a ton of money and time.

·
Banned
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The reason I have changed from a VX-III to the Bushnell 4200 is as follows. I have owned the Bushnell before and it's light gathering quality is superb and it takes a lot of recoil abuse and I love the rainguard. Been frustrated a few times down here in Mississippi over the last three years since our winters are so often wet and humidity is high that I have had to try and wipe a scope to see game clearly enough to take my shot.

Also, this 3-9x40mm 4200 has given me a better felt balance than did the VX-III did but that is a matter of preference and opinion on my part. The 4200 is good glass for the money and is actually a little brighter to my eyes than the VX-III is and I can see images earlier in the morning than with the VX-III. So, I sold one of my VX-III scopes and bought the 4200.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,246 Posts
Nice looking rifle. I never owned a 30_06 till about five years ago but have learned to love it's versatility.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
What is the objective of your load "redo" ? Are you not satisfied with the load you're currently using or is there a new bullet/powder you want to try? I'm just a few weeks away from working up some 125gr BT loads for a 30-06 my wife will be using on deer this fall.

·
Banned
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is the objective of your load "redo" ? Are you not satisfied with the load you're currently using or is their a new bullet/powder you want to try? I'm just a few weeks away from working up some 125gr BT loads for a 30-06 my wife will be using on deer this fall.

I have been working since the end of April on a major 06 re-do of bullets from 125-240gr and about 8 different powders. Some powders are new for me and some bullets I have never tried. Just doing it one more time in my life to finalize some notions and tweak some good loads. Should be finished some time in September.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,352 Posts
What is the objective of your load "redo" ? Are you not satisfied with the load you're currently using or is their a new bullet/powder you want to try? I'm just a few weeks away from working up some 125gr BT loads for a 30-06 my wife will be using on deer this fall.
Varget or IMR-4064, either should work just peachy. Had good results with both. Can't tell you the exact loads just this second but as a novice handloader back then just worked up to whatever was printed in the Hodgdon manual for Varget, and most likely the Sierra manual for 4064.

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Real nice looking rifle!

I've seen some good groups with bullets 180 grains and up using IMR-4831, though not top speeds.

You have eight powders in your inventory. Hope you find the ones that work.

Have fun working your rifle.

Cheezywan

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
I've got both 4064 and 4320, which I hope will do well enough with the 125gr Nosler BT bullets I have in mind. What specific bullets and powders are you working with in your re-do?

·
Banned
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got both 4064 and 4320, which I hope will do well enough with the 125gr Nosler BT bullets I have in mind. What specific bullets and powders are you working with in your re-do?
After I thought about it I had much more than 8 powders I have been using since april.

Bullets:
Sierra - 125gr, 150gr, 165gr HPBT, 180gr, 190gr, 200gr, 220gr

Barnes - 165gr TSX, 168gr TSX, 180 MRX

Nosler - 165gr Accubond, 180gr Partition, 180gr Ballistic Tip

Hornady - 165gr SP, 208gr A-Max

Sherman - 190gr

Woodliegh - 240gr

Powders:
IMR4895, IMR4064 IMR4320, IMR4350, IMR7828sc

H4350, Varget, H414, H4831sc

Norma MRP

RL-22, RL-19

W760

Primers
Fed 210M, Fed 210, Fed Gold Match 210M,

Rem 9 1/2

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Any early front-runners, as far as what combination your gun likes best? Are you looking for a single load to meet all your big-game needs, or are you hoping for 2 or 3 different loads, to cover a wider spectrum of hunting?

My vote would be for Varget and the 165gr Accubond. Maybe we could have some kind of pool where each member gets to guess at what combination(s) you settle on using? :D

·
Banned
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any early front-runners, as far as what combination your gun likes best? Are you looking for a single load to meet all your big-game needs, or are you hoping for 2 or 3 different loads, to cover a wider spectrum of hunting?

My vote would be for Varget and the 165gr Accubond. Maybe we could have some kind of pool where each member gets to guess at what combination(s) you settle on using? :D

You guys can start a pool where each member tries to guess what combinations of powder and bullets i settle on for each specific class below and my all around load.

I am developing five loads:

1. bobcat, coyote, antelope, coues deer, white tail deer, mule deer, black bear, cougar (165gr-168gr class)

2. elk, caribou, and African plains game (180gr 210gr class)

3. Moose, bison (180 - 240gr premium bullet class)

4. Dangerous game - Brown bear and African Lion (200gr -220gr Partition and A-Frame class)

5. All around bullet for everything except Brown bear and African Lion (180gr - 210gr)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Hey Mike, nice rifle, even iffin' it ain't a wood stock .... :D

My Pappy's old favorite deer load was the Hornaday 165 gr. spire pt. pushed by 51.5 grs IMR 4320, nice roll crimp in the channelure.... primer and brass of your choice....this is a warm load, work up to it....

I've probably killed more game with that load than any other in the 0-6.....dead-bang accurate, will shoot one-hole groups off the bench outta most of our Enfields, and Springfields. was our go-to load for 30 years or so..... excellent performance from that bullet as well -(thin skinned game)....many elk were found with the expanded bullet just inside the hide on the far side.... (boileroom shots)....usually lost about 30-40 % bullet weight.

·
Banned
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Mike, nice rifle, even iffin' it ain't a wood stock .... :D

My Pappy's old favorite deer load was the Hornaday 165 gr. spire pt. pushed by 51.5 grs IMR 4320, nice roll crimp in the channelure.... primer and brass of your choice....this is a warm load, work up to it....

I've probably killed more game with that load than any other in the 0-6.....dead-bang accurate, will shoot one-hole groups off the bench outta most of our Enfields, and Springfields. was our go-to load for 30 years or so..... excellent performance from that bullet as well -(thin skinned game)....many elk were found with the expanded bullet just inside the hide on the far side.... (boileroom shots)....usually lost about 30-40 % bullet weight.
Hey oloutlaw, man good to hear from you. Yes, IMR320 has pulled some duty throughout the years in a 30-06 with bullet weights from 125 to 165 and some 180gr loads.

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
I shoot the Noslers, Sierras, and Hornadys, and IMR4064, with very few exceptions, along with CCI200 primers, gives the best groups in my Remington 700.

I like the stock, Mike. Why the Hogue, I'm wondering?

·
Banned
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I shoot the Noslers, Sierras, and Hornadys, and IMR4064, with very few exceptions, along with CCI200 primers, gives the best groups in my Remington 700.

I like the stock, Mike. Why the Hogue, I'm wondering?
I ruined my wooden stock by trying to install pillar bedding and I looked around and really liked the design and thought I would give it a try.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.