Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes!!

I'm just starting to get into reloading again and I just read in the Handgun Loads topic area that WFN bullets cannot be seated by off-the-shelf dies. I want to reload .44 mags with the Beartooth 280 gr. WFNGC bullet, sized to .432 to feed my Marlin 1894 with a 16" Micro-Groove barrel.

Can anyone confirm that my old RCBS die set will, or will not, work?

Also, does 22 grains of H110 sound right for a MAX load with the 280?

Thanks!

Jack
Petaluma, CA

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Jack,

Actually your old RCBS .44 dies should have no glitches when loading the .432"-280gWFN bullet in the .44 Magnum.  The only thing might be the seating stem, and in the current post running in the Handgun Cartridge Forum has a cure for that outlined in a couple of posts.

<a href="http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/post.cgi?action=reply&forum=5&topic=130" target='_blank'>http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin....pic=130</a>

Now, for the load you mention of 22.0g of H110.  That particular load has proven over the years to be an excellent accuracy load in nearly all .44's, both revolvers and long guns, without tinkering with the load!  It is the load we used for testing our bullet lubes over this last long winter.  Although it is not an all-out-maximum load, it is very near the top of the sane pressure envelope.  In some guns it is what I would consider a top-end load.  From 22 grains, if you do go on, proceed with great caution!

Sounds like you're well prepared for loading your .432"-280g WFN's.

Let us know if you have other questions... that's what we're here for!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,304 Posts
The seating stem might leave a little mark on the nose of the bullet if you don't modify it, but I loaded plenty of WFN's with RCBS dies before I ground the end of the seating stem flat.  Use the SWC stem.

Try one and see... it's the only way to find out for sure.  I suspect that it will work just fine.  I'd advise seating and crimping in two separate operations, at least till you get the hang of it.

I get ~1350fps with 22.0 grains of 296 and the 280gr. WFNGC in a 7/5" Super Blackhawk.  Works great.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you don't want to grind the seating stem's face flat you can contact RCBS and request such a stem. I think they quoted me 15 dollars (?)

I ended up mounting my RCBS .45 colt dies on my Dillon 650 and I now use Hornady dies on my single stage. All Hornady pistol dies come with both a SWC and a perfectly flat faced seating stem. I use the flat one exclusively and I really like the die set.

Maybe Hornady would sell you a seating die with both stems?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts