Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last week I posted that my 3 girls got me a 1956 model 94 and today my youngest and I went down to the stock tank and I set up a target at 30 yards. I shot 6 rounds standing and made a 6" group. I set her up sitting with a makeshift rest and she nipped the edge of a 2" bullseye her first shot!

I am really proud of her. She is deadly with her Browning SA 22 breakdown rifle. This was her first time to shoot any other rifle. She consistantly put her next 10 shots within 6 " of bullseye.

She wants to kill a deer and a hog. I'm looking for her a 20g shotgun too. We have ducks all over our stock tanks.

Not having a son ain't all that bad. My youngest girl rides horses with me and loves to shoot.

I'm a proud Papa.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Sounds like fun!

I have a son and two daughters. Son was Army for 10 years before he was medically discharged after a training accident. Completed Ranger school and jump school. I tell you this to indicate that he was and is pretty familiar with weapons.

Came home on leave and wanted to go shooting. Baby Sister wanted to come too. She was 16 or 17 at the time.

We loaded up and went to our favorite shooting spot. Long story short, Baby Sister outshot Big Brother. With his own weapon. That was 20+ years ago. I still tease him about it...

·
Banned
605 Posts
Model - P:
I hear this a lot from menfolk in my family. How the .30-30 Winchester 94 is so brutal. I've used it for 50 of my 63 years and have finally figured it out. They ALL have longer arms than I do. They used to get the tar beat out of 'em when they shot it. I love it and still use one of the '66 Centennials to hunt deer with. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis that has pretty much chewed up my right shoulder. Even a well stocked .30-06 Springfield hurts. Absolutely cried when I had to give up my M70 .375 H&H. But I have no problem with my '94Centennial. It's probably the only reason I can hunt now. Can't afford any other rifles.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

This is a photo of my daughter's 1st buck taken at age 15. My 30-30 Winchester with angle-eject feature is an outstanding venison-getter. Location: Black Hills Nat'l Forest west of Rapid City.

The buck weighed nearly 300lbs (live weight) but was not armor-plated at all. One 150 grain Remington core-lockt bullet through the chest got the job done quickly. He never knew what hit him. Distance was approx 125 yards or so.

30-30 is a KEEPER!!!

TR

·
Banned
421 Posts
TR, That's some nice shooting your daughter did, and some very special memories for both of you I'm sure.
I have two daughters and no sons, and the oldest, now 26, just started getting into guns a few years ago. She does not hunt deer, but she goes with me, and was there two years ago when I shot an 8 pointer. She helped me dress it out, and did most of the dragging for the old man. The memories still bring a tear to my eye. I'm teaching her to shoot and we'll go bird hunting next fall. I have a 20 ga side x side setting in the safe with her name on it. We started late, but I intend to make the best of what time we have left.
Thanks for the memories guys!

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Wow, teamroper, how old is your daughter? The 30-30 has always seemed a bit brutal to me, a full-grown man.
What kind of 30-30 are you shooting? Is it one of those real short guns with a hard plastic buttplate, or something? Felt recoil from a 30-30 is pretty dang light, as compared to most other big game cartridges.

·
Registered
771 Posts
GREAT PIC!!!! I'm a big fan of the 30-30. I shoot a T/C contender with a 23in. barrel, so I can use pointed bullets. Gives me at least 250yrd. range, frankly I can't see 75yrds. thru the brush. but I could!!!!!! Currently sighted in with 125gr. for varmints. With 170gr. bullets, Elk to 100yrds?? What a great cartridge, and congrats and thanks for bringing another hunter into the fold!!! Venison sausage foe breakfast??? Oh yea!!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Before I built my daughter a rifle in 6.5 x55mm, she was all over my Marlin 336 in 30 WCF. I loaded it with 124 grain Sierras and IMR 4064 powder and it made the old rifle a totally different animal...shoots flat and hits hard with virtually no recoil. We still shoot the old Marlin, she loves to tag small milk jugs with it out to 200 yards. I put a Williams 5D sight on it and a different front blade and it rocks...

·
Registered
57 Posts
What kind of 30-30 are you shooting? Is it one of those real short guns with a hard plastic buttplate, or something? Felt recoil from a 30-30 is pretty dang light, as compared to most other big game cartridges.
Yes, a standard 1894 Saddle Ring Carbine. Come home with a bruised shoulder every time. Not complaing though- I love that old gun.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
My daughter shoots a Model '92 in 44/40, with the original metal butt plate, but does most of her shooting from a lead sled. (That's her with her very first deer, a doe shot this past fall.)

My wife was getting beat up by shooting trap with a 20 gauge semi-auto, so I replaced the plastic butt plate with a SVL pad and now she enjoys shooting even more! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She just turned 16. She is a shrimp. The 94 is a 1956 with metal but plate. Shooting Rem 170g.

I asked her the next day if her shoulder was sore and she said nope.

She is a tough little cookie. She rides rank horses and they decide real quick she won't put up with any BS.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

My daughter hunted white tail this year with her new husband in central Pennsylvania. They were married last April. She used this ammo to take a dandy 3 X 3 buck with one shot at approx 50 yards or so.

I wasn't there and did not observe the wound channel. But she told me the buck bounded away at the shot and toppled after a short run of approx 25 yards or so. Sounds like good ammo to me!!

TR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts