Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hunting with a 45-70 for a lot of years. First with a Siamese Mauser. It was not light but it was short, fast and powerful. I even used it for squirrel hunting with 13 grains of Unique and a 255 grain cast bullet. Early on I bought a bunch of Remington, Winchester, Speer and Hornady jacketed bullets  thinking I'd test them all for accuracy, etc. I've still got them in my loading room. I discovered cast bullets about the same time and never looked back.
I have recently purchased a Winchester 1886 take down in 45-70 and have been enjoying shooting it. I've not taken it to the woods yet.
I've been using my 375 Whelen for hunting with cast bullets, with good results. The 375 Whelen is a bolt gun that I had made as a test bed for cast bullets. I don't believe there's an animal on this continent that I'd feel under gunned with, using this rifle.
I also, recently, purchased a Rossi 1896 in 45 Colt. This little rifle is the image of short, light, fast and powerful. With 19.5 grains of H110, a 300 grain grain cast bullet, I'm thinking this rifle would be the ideal woods rifle for the laurel thickets here in Virginia.
Hope this helps.
Jim

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did use a filler.
I tamped a 1.5 X 1.5 inch wad of toilet tissue or Kleenex down over the powder. Seemed to work great.
I'm thinking that the .451 bullets may not work so well as the .454 bullets.
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts