Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here recently i bought my first 30-06 rifle, it's a mossberg patriot with a synthetic stock with a built in recoil pad, fluted bolt ( as if i need it, never gets cold enough to cause bolt sticking here in SWLA but still looks nice ), 22'' fluted barrel, adjustable trigger topped off with a 3-9x40 scope, saw it on sale at academy for 279.00 ( reg. was 379.00 so 410.00 after taxes )so how could i not ? i went to my local academy, did a run over on it and it checked out. took it to the range after waiting for a sale on 30-06 ( 16.00 a box after taxs) having never shot anything bigger than my 30-30 in 180 gr i was surprised at how well i was able to manage the recoil. i've heard a few complaints about the patriots but mine is good guy next to me at the range loved the look of the rifle and asked if he could shoot a round being that 30-06 isn't exactly the cheapest caliber i let him shoot a round and he fell in love with it, he offered to let me shoot his FAL and .22 plinkster. only thing i didn't like was the scope, cheap thing and could get something better but oh well i give it a 5/5.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My grandson got a Patriot. terrific features and well made. Try some Federal Match Ammo! They love it and his esily shoote 1 MOA @ 100 yards. The trigger adjustment works very well. THe barrel is button rifled and finished very well in and out. Good shooter. Really accurate and cheap to shoot with loading plated or cast bullets and H4895.

Gary

·
Registered
150 Posts
JOE: IMHO you will be hard pressed to beat a 30-06 in a good bolt gun. The 30-06 will be just about perfect to hunt all most any animal in North America, or any where in the World with in reason for that matter. The 30-06 is the standard by which, most other rounds are judged by. I have never been anywhere that 30-06 ammo is not plentiful, readily available and at a reasonable cost. Factory Ammo from 125 grain bullets to 220 grain bullets are on hand at most any LGS or Walmart that You walk into. Again IMHO a good 30-06 darn sure deserves a good scope and good ammo. None of my 30-06`s have ever even come close to letting me down on any type of hunting. I have ever done with any of them.
ken

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I had an opportunity to do a load development for a friends Patriot, .270 win., and that off the shelf rifle shot very well, I was truly impressed. He took it out and killed a nice elk with it, and I promise you the elk had no idea he had been shot with a budget rifle.

Shoot it, enjoy it, and don't let the budget price tag diminish your expectations regarding it's accuracy potential. I don;t knoow if you hand load, if not you might want to consider doing so, most rifles will have some degree of undiscovered accuracy potential that's hiding behind a well developed load.

The scope that comes o them really isn't much to get excited about, if me, I'd run out and buy a 3x9x40 Leupold Hunter for $200 or so, they're a nice scope for the money, and certainly a better scope than the one those Patriots come with.

SMOA

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Even a budget priced Nikon is better than what they come with. You'll never be disappointed in the 30-06. It'll do about anything you need it to. I've killed many elk with one , lost count on deer.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Welcome to the shooters forum. Sounds like the Mossberg is a keeper and in a chambering I wouldn't be without.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Concur that a Leupold 3X9X40 basic scope will serve you well. They are made in America, have a lifetime warranty and are available at reasonable prices. Many specimens are available on fleaBay...

·
Registered
287 Posts
My plain Jane 06 was a gift from my sons and is an accurate reliable rifle. Did I mention priceless to me! Burris Signature Zee medium rings leaves about 1/8" clearance for the 50 mm object lens/bell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 30-06 is a great cartridge, being just a little bit better than anything else in it's class. I reload and my go to is the Hornady 165 grain interlock. There are many good scope manufacturers Leupold, Nikon, Redfield, Burris, etc. I have a 2-10 x 42 Burris XTR on my Rem. 700 that cost more than the rifle, (which isn't real uncommon). The most common scope is the 3-9 power but I prefer a lower power scope for hunting unless hunting in open country. Unless I'm at the range my scope spends 90% of the time on 2 power magnification, when I bring the rifle up the field of view is large enough that I can see the end of the rifle barrel in the scope. Don't put a cheap variable power scope on any rifle, most of them are not worth the time it takes to mount them. A decent scope starts at $100+ and a good scope will generally start at $300.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Accuracy

I have the Patriot in 30-06. It seems to be very sensitive to heating up. If I fire more than 1 shot the 2nd round will be 4 inches higher. It has the fluted barrel and wood stock. Sighting in has been time consuming as I have to let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes between shots. Does anybody have an idea how to work through this problem?

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
Theaveragejoe, they don't come with a quality scope, but then, they don't always need to. Shoot it awhile before replacing it. I bought a Remington 700 in 30-06 a decade ago with what is probably a $25 no-name brand scope on it. I own several rifles mounted with Leupolds, Nikkons, a Burris, a Bushnell, and a Weaver, but that cheap scope is still on that Remington. I thought I would have to replace it, but even after shooting more than 760 rounds (by my records) that scope is holding up well.

Hunter66 I would start out by cleaning the bore and chamber. I mean cleaning it well, using a good copper solvent until the copper is gone, then finishing with JB bore paste. That's the first step. Then see how it does.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I have the Patriot in 30-06. It seems to be very sensitive to heating up. If I fire more than 1 shot the 2nd round will be 4 inches higher. It has the fluted barrel and wood stock. Sighting in has been time consuming as I have to let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes between shots. Does anybody have an idea how to work through this problem?
Theaveragejoe, they don't come with a quality scope, but then, they don't always need to. Shoot it awhile before replacing it. I bought a Remington 700 in 30-06 a decade ago with what is probably a $25 no-name brand scope on it. I own several rifles mounted with Leupolds, Nikkons, a Burris, a Bushnell, and a Weaver, but that cheap scope is still on that Remington. I thought I would have to replace it, but even after shooting more than 760 rounds (by my records) that scope is holding up well.

Hunter66 I would start out by cleaning the bore and chamber. I mean cleaning it well, using a good copper solvent until the copper is gone, then finishing with JB bore paste. That's the first step. Then see how it does.
Unless the bore is overly clean (oily), the first shot could be the fouling shot. 10-15 minutes between shots is excessive and where Stretch's advice could be quite helpful.

I have a couple of really long (26") tapered barrels that need some time between shots when shooting for groups...but no more than 2-3 minutes between shots.

I have heard decent things about the Patriot...sorry to hear you are having issues.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bed your action IF...

First, do as StretchNM suggests. It is relatively easy to do, often fixes the issue and must be ruled out before going any further. Secondly, check with the manufacturer! Many manufacturers have an accuracy warranty or standard of 1.5" or less at 100 yards, with a competent shooter and WITH PREMIUM AMMUNITION. IF those fail then next, everybody and their brother is going to suggest that you do a quality bedding job on the stock to action fit, and I guess I'm their brother! 😁

If you've never done a proper action bedding job, there are some very good videos of how to, on YouTube. I suggest you watch at least five that have high ratings. If you're still not feeling up to it, get your rifle to a competent and highly recommended gunsmith! A good gunsmith usually charges between $120 and $200 for the bedding job and it will help accuracy for the life of the rifle, wether or not it is the cause of your accuracy issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts