Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got back from the range to try out my new Ruger SR9. Shot some factory 115 gr loads from both Remington and Brown Bear. Both worked fine with no issues at all.

Then to try my reloads. I had reloaded two batches of reloads, both using Berry's 115 gr plated bullets, one batch with 800-X and one with Titegroup. I used starting powder loads for both.

Neither one worked well at all. Neither batch would cycle the slide. It was like firing a 9mm single shot.

I am going to work up another batch with Titegroup, this time using the max powder load off the Hodgdon chart instead of the starting load. Hope I can get some cycling action this time.

Any comments? The reloading rookie is all ears!

·
Registered
287 Posts
titegroup and 800 x are a fast burning powders,your min loads were not strong enough to cycle your ruger.Don't jump all the way up to max listed load work your way up.Also make sure your scale is accurate.because if the scale is off 1/2 grain one way or the other your starting load could be 1/2 below sarting listed load or at maxim listed load for titegroup.the difference between min and max loads for 115 gr 9mm loads titegroup about a half gr,800 x about a gr.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
I'd work up. Pick several increments, load 5 each, and start from the bottom and try a magazine full. You'll soon find out the minimum it takes to cycle the gun reliably. That's all you need a reload to do.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Starting loads are just that. They may not reliably cycle your semi-auto but they cycled the semi that the load was tested in. Rather than jump from a starting load to the max powder load, it would be much better to work up a load as others have suggested. Finally, there is not much "wiggle" room from a 9 mm starting load to a max powder load so be very careful when reloading this cartridge. Have had good results with the 115 gr. bullet and 4.5 gr. Bullseye if you get around to trying this powder. Hope this answers some of your concerns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Loaded up 4.3 gr Titegroup and went out again. My gun likes it. Very crisp and slide worked perfectly.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
I am going to work up another batch with Titegroup, this time using the max powder load off the Hodgdon chart instead of the starting load. !
The 9mm is one of the trickiest rounds to load for in the game. The pressure runs high, has a narrow window of operation in many firearms, and changes in case brand, seating depth, primers, and even powders lot to lot, can make for exciting moments, or worse.

I've had good luck with powders as different as Green Dot and W231, to Action Pistol. But I always start with a specific brand of brass, never mixed, and whenever I change powders, I start at the bottom, and work up slowly. Seating depth is very critical. Close is not good enough. Same with primers, especially from std to magnum. My standard routinme is to start with something I'm reasonably sure will barely cycle the action. Increasing loads 1/10th of a grain at a time, I note the point where reliable cycling occurs, then add another 1/10th. Hot loading a "9", without all of the control resources of a commercial operation is not for the inexperienced. I've been handloading for close to 50 years. I'll load hot .357/.44 mag for my Blackhawks, but .38's for my J frame, or 9mm/.45 Auto for my Kahr or Springfield, not. You simply can't really control the variables at the limits.

Immediately jumping from "unable to cycle", to "max listed" is a plan for disaster.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I think you've bracketed the powder burn rate - Titegroup is too fast, and 800X is too slow in my experience with 9mm. I agree with Oberndorf: Alliant Unique or Hodgdon Universal Clays are in the middle of the range you bracketed, and work best in my 9s.

I think the trick is to match the burn speed to the operating speed of your slide. Unique/Universal do that for me.

With Titegroup, there's a hair's difference between the min load to operate the slide, and an overload.

With Unique or Universal, there's a fair gap between min load to cycle and an overload.

With 800x, the rate may be too slow to operate your slide. I don't know - never tried such a slow powder. It's way down at #52 on this rate chart http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

This will vary with the particular pistol in question. I'm 100% sure some guns out there will cycle fine with Titegroup or 800x. Mine won't cycle with Hodgdon Titegroup, Clays, or Alliant Bullseye.

And, a buddy of mine found his Ruger really wanted heavier bullets, too.

:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Dam n I thought I had nailed it being the gun shoots so well at 4.3 gr. I've shot about 300 rounds at that load (115 gr Berry's plated bullets) and the SR9 has shot like a dream. Now you guys have got me a bit nervous. I don't know what the sam hill to do now. I thought that powder was a perfect match for my gun. I hate being a F'ing rookie!

·
Registered
287 Posts
If it shoots well and no problems go with it,4.3 grs of titegroup are near or below starting loads for 9mm in hogdon 09 and lyman48 manuals

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it shoots well and no problems go with it,4.3 grs of titegroup are near or below starting loads for 9mm in hogdon 09 and lyman48 manuals
Went out today shot another 300 rounds at 4.3. I think I'm just going to stick with it. My SR9 just likes it too much to throw this combo away. Can you post some excepts of those loads? The Hodgdon website load chart does list Titegroup max at 4.3 gr for 115 gr lead bullet. I you have some different info, I'd like to see it. Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Titegroup is a good powder for the 9MM it does have a fast burn rate faster then W231` so i would use Titegroup with 90 or 95 grain Bullet. 800-X can be used but i dont use it in the 9MM due to it's very large flakes which takes up space in the 9MM case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts