Shooters Forum banner

My First Rifle - Advice

5K views 44 replies 33 participants last post by  CCAguns 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I am new to this forum, but I have been using guns now for many years.

I recently decided that I want to purchase my first rifle, which will be mostly used for hunting, as well as occasional target shooting. I am looking for a 30-06 that can shoot a sub-MOA group at 100 yards. My budget is $2-2.5k

I would really appreciate any input.

Sincere regards,
John8789

#2 · (Edited)
Used!

Buy 3 good conditioned used, of different calibers/platforms (a lever, a bolt, a shotgun) that will ALL do what you asked, for that much $. I'd hold off a bit & try several before dropping that much $ on your first rifle. If you buy smart you can use them as long as you like & with good care likely sell them for a profit, or come close to breaking even. Then go buy what you really want. The old saying be careful what you wish for, is so true. Many 1st rifles don't always live up to what you hoped for, or your tastes change with experience.

#6 · (Edited)
With that budget get a Sako all the way. Nicest factory bolt action rifle I've seen. They have an accuracy guarantee I believe under 1 MOA. You will not be disappointed in the quality.

85 Hunter Laminated Stainless | SAKO

Or you could get you a custom built rem 700. I as well as a few friends have gone the route of custom rem 700's and they are nice too.

I'll add that .308 win is a more inherintly accurate cartridge and is only about 150fps slower. It will do dang near everything .30-06 will do in a shorter action length. It's just as easy to get too since it's a military cartridge.

#8 · (Edited)
I applaud your choice of caliber (30-06) and you will get all the accuracy you want out of it. The rifle and scope are just the vehicles.

Here is a 1/13 video of a rifle build (this one in .308) that will help you along in your decision. There is a lot of knowledge and information here and is a good place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkbnnU7IO5E

Good luck!

ON EDIT: I'm not recommending this brand/model rifle nor would I denigrate it. It's just a series of videos to expand your knowledge base and help you make your decision.

#10 ·
My first rifle advice

Hi, John & welcome to the forum!

You've got sufficient funds to obtain most any 30-06 you'd want and I also commend your choice of calibers. As you didn't specify new or used, I would consider three factory-made used rifles that, to me, are heads and shoulders above the new rifles today. These would be the Browning Safari Hi-Power made prior to 1963, a German (J P Sauer) made Weatherby Mark V and a Sako FinnBear. I am fortunate to have all three, though in different calibers. My Browning is a 1959 model 30-06. I haven't found a rifle to come close to these in quality or accuracy without a great deal of custom work done. All three can be found for around $1500 or less in excellent condition. All three will shoot sub-MOA but you will have to do some experimenting with ammo, as rifles are individuals, liking certain weight bullets and loads. You obviously have the funds to have the rifle custom-fitted to your stature if required.

Individual taste comes into play here so you need to see these and others to decide what you like. But these would be my choices. Good luck!:)

#11 ·
I don't know if they are available in the USA but if you want something a bit different but also exceptionally good quality then the Blaser R8 Professional takes some beating. It may be a bit above you limit new but you may be able to find a good second hand rifle close to what you want to spend. I know that a number are available and some in 30-06 in the UK. A second choice would be a Sako or a Tikka.
In my view any rifle(doubles exonerated) which will not shoot 1 moa or less should be sent back to the makers. In fact I expect either of the barrels on my Bettinsoli double to shoot moa and they do. The difficulty is me the operator:eek::) Just have to lay off the coffee before visiting the range.

By the way, welcome aboard.

#12 ·
My suggestion would be a M70 Super Grade and topping it with Leupold VXR or VX6, Swarovski, or Zeiss with an unclutterd reticle. I'd suggest something in the 2-7 to 4-12 range of magnification with a moderate sized objective of 33- 44mm

Rifle will be about $1300 and the scope $500-$1200

#13 · (Edited)
X2 on what Tnhunter suggested. Get a Winchester M70 30-06 & top it with a good Nikon, Burris or Leopold scope. Mine is an absolute tack driver. This group was shot at approximately 110 yards with my M70 using a Caldwell lead sled. Here is an excellent article of controlled vs push feed for bolt action rifles. http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/controlled-feed-vs-push-feed-rifles/

#14 ·
Buy a .22 LR first. MOA capability in your big game rifle means nothing when 99% of the capability is reliant on user input. You don't need to spend near $2000 for a rifle that shoots. I would recommend spending money on a used rifle to see what you like. Any (non Axis) Savage. Winchester 70, Zastava, Sako, CZ/Brno, Browning, Ruger, or Remington (preferably older, 80s and 90s were probably nicest). All good, and capable of MOA with ammunition they like. Spend $300-$600 on a decent scope for it, and a few hundred on components and reloading gear.

$500 for a CZ .22 + $600 for 30-06 + $200 for rimfire scope + $400 for 30-06 scope + $300 for basic reloading set up = $2000. Plus you will probably want decent binoculars, and spend a couple, few hundred for components and ammo.

Your wallet will thank you, as well as your shoulder, when you shoot a couple hundred rounds of .22 at the range.

And after those two rifles you will probably want a decent pistol, a duck/grouse/goose gun, a varmint rifle etc.

Don't worry about trying to spend all your money on one rifle. You'll find lots of places to spend the rest....

#33 ·
That's my thought too. Rather than tossing a bunch of cash on something you will be paying a lot to shoot get something that you aren't going to be able to really go out and have a good time with . Heck, whenever I go out shooting I always take the 22 and end up shooting it a lot more than the bigger guns. The other guys I shoot with do pretty much the same.
If I was looking like this I would see if there are any ranges -gun shops that let you rent guns. That way you can get in there and feel out what you like / don't like and what works best for YOU. There is no stead fast answer to your question rather it's one of those personal choices you have to stumble around and feel out yourself as time goes on. If other guys are shooting around you and you see they have a nice gun ask them if you can take a look at it . **** they probably will let you shoot it if you offer to pay for the ammo.
It's this sort of thing that will benefit you if you join a Rod And Gun Club. You get to meet other guys, see their gear and hear what they have to say. There is great value in that and nobody is going to laugh at you for showing up with a .22, not the ones you want to know anyways:rolleyes.

#16 · (Edited)
If you take one of the nicer new Remington 700's ($600 or so) put in a nice Timney trigger ($150-250), bed it in a somewhat nicer stock (bell and Carlson is good for the money). You will have a rifle that shoots fairly decent. I'd aim for the stainless barrel and action. Factory remington finishes suck on most models. If you get stainless you can get it cerakoted in whatever color you want (I do black) and you will have 2 layers of protection.

Overall cost for that will be around $1000-1200 depending on what you pick and who does the cerakote, etc. Put you a nice vortex or leupold scope on it and you are good to go. Me and friends have done several rifles like this and they all shoot well. Even with the factory barrels and action.

Edit: and I'll second a .22lr for you to practice with. If you can't shoot a .22LR well you won't shoot a centerfire rifle well. Rifle accuracy is dependent upon the shooter. It deteriorates as well if you don't practice. I went about 2 years without much rifle shooting. When I did shoot rifles it's was black rifles which goes if you can hit the 12" plate at 200 then you are good. Went almost straight pistol shooting for a while there. It ruined me on rifles. It took me 3 weekends at the range to get back to sub MOA accuracy with my rifles. There is no MAGIC sub MOA rifle. You have to work at it.

#17 ·
Hy John , welcome.
Thats going to be fun choosing a rifle with a couple of grand to spend on the rifle .
Just get one you like ,hold , weight , feel , look they are all pretty good exept for a couple of the cheep ones.
Its not like you are buying a leg and i doubt its your only two grand.
As far as recoil the stock wants to be pretty close to level with the barrel .
Mauser 98 has a reputation for being the safest.
If i had some disposable cash i would be looking at a Kimber.
A nice double would be fun.
looking forward to hearing what you get.
One of my nicest guns cost me $150.
Out of the last 6 second hand ones the only one that went over $500 was $900 and it has had a chamber job done in its new barrel that is realy bad , i baught it because of its new barrel.
I dont think there is any gun makers that dont put out the odd dodgy one .

#19 ·
If you want a classic at that cost range, there are some really nice Pre64 Model 70s and 30-06 is fairly common.

I could recommend several rifles including having a custom one built, however I have a SAKO with changeable barrels that shoots very well and handy enough for hunting. There's also TIKA which everyone is raving about and I'm thinking about. They do shoot nicely and you can add a detachable magazine to them

All rifles | Tikka

For scope: top end is Nightforce, Every good hunter I know use them. There's also Leupold and the Vortex vipers. I don't do low cost scopes for any reason... seen to many of them die at the worst possible time. On my primary rifle, I have a Zeiss on it at the moment.

#22 ·
Welcome John, ...a good budget to work with. Agree with @Shreck, Look at Kimber Original, great handling and balance, superb accuracy. I'm partial to the Pre '64 Winchester, Model 70 Featherweight, have 30-06 and 270. MOA and sub-MOA from both. I accurized them years ago and they've been flawless since. But now accuracy tends to depend on my eyes on a particular day. Lots of premium ammo for the '06, you will have fun. Even more if you reload.

Since most rifles shoot better than their owners, get a good 22 and practice, like the Ruger 77-22. Moving up the recoil scale to the '06 should be done in steps otherwise you'll be closing your eyes and flinching when you pull the trigger. Have fun !!

#23 · (Edited)
$2-2.5k for your first rifle for hunting?? For that kind of money I would get a nice '06 with a good Leopold scope for $1200 then pick up a Savage Axis in 243 with a good Leupold scope for $800 then with the change buy all the reloading equipment for both calibers. Fun for a lifetime, both will be MOA, and you will be appropriately armed for anything from ground squirrels to moose!

#25 · (Edited)
Winchester 70 (NEW, made by FN Browning) Super grade, and don't get a low end scope. My Winchester 70 Ultimate shadow hunter shoots sub MOA, has the smoothest cycling bolt I've ever felt, and is easy to get parts for (pretending you'll ever need parts for it)
It's got controlled round feed as well, so it's very reliable feeding.

Also gives you a much better budget for a scope. I recommend the Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 or the NXS 2.5-10x32 (depending on need) The nxs won't look as good, and it's more expensive, but it's a lot tougher and has better turrets if you're into "doping" your scope. If you want it to look good too, and don't dope your scope go with the 3-10x42 or the 5-20x56'depending on whether you want high zoom, or lower power for say, deer hunting. For deer to 350-400 ish yards I only use 9 power, but for coyotes I prefer more zoom. Cause they are smaller targets and majority of the time are distant, vs only a few rare times having to shoot that far.

Steyr makes some sort of Manlicher rifle that I hear is very accurate and that's around 2 grand, but I would prefer to save the money and go with the Riflemans rifle and use the extra money on a quality scope.

I'm sure others agree with the Winchester 70. Here's a pic of one of my average groups with it

Attachments

#26 ·
Hi John,

I am from South Africa and would like to share my experience with you regarding hunting rifles. I have been hunting since I was a little boy of 8 years old and through the years I have learnt a lot about different hunting makes and calibers of hunting rifles. I have found that either the 30-06 and .308 caliber is the most versatile in hunting game and do target shooting, I am now talking about the South African made Musgrave. The K98 bolt action will never let you down and acuracy is marksman quality. You can google these rifles and will find that the quality finish is some of the finest in the world. Hope you can get to learn about these arms and looking forward to see what you have decided.

#27 ·
I recommend a Remington 700 in a pillar bedded stock with the barrel free floated and the trigger adjusted to the weight you desire in a .280 caliber. With hand loads, you can drive a 140 grain bullet to within 100 fps of a 140 grain factory 7mm magnum and tweak the accuracy. I have such a rifle and can shoot 1/2 inch groups at 200 yds shooting off a bench with sand bags. Another plus is the ability to find 30-06 brass on the ground at almost any rifle range and make a 280 Remington cartridge out of it. I put a Leuopold 3.5x10x50 scope on it and never looked back.

#28 · (Edited)
No offense anybody but I would never get a Remington 700. And the OP has already made their caliber choice

And the Mauser 98 is a wonderful option, however very hard to find in the states. Possible, but challenging.

I also hear Kimbers are quite nice, and point well. I've held a couple and they feel nice (although the action doesn't feel as nice as the new Winchester 70) and when you aim them they are very balanced. I can't remember but I think they are push feed. To some that matters, to some it doesn't. But I've never shot one to know the accuracy of them. I assume they are accurate as they have quite a name for themselves, but I wouldn't know personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.