Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, a big thanks to everyone for their opinions and advice in my other thread. My PAL arrived last Thursday, and between classes on Friday I had made my purchase. I settled on a Savage Mk2 F, which for me is awfully pretty. When I'm not slaving over homework, in class, working out or training, I've just been holding it, working the bolt and wearing a silly grin.

I got to shoot it twice on the weekend. I took it out not too far from the house to put some CCI shorts through it. They're 710 FPS and quiet enough that I could plink for as long as I want without arousing suspicion from the neighbors. I did have some feeding problems but I expected that. Saturday I went for a hike and set up for a good hour of shooting. Brought some paper with me and realized I'm a terrible shot offhand even at 25 yards. At the end of the hour I was managing five shot groups at around four to five inches. Still, it was awfully fun.

If you'd like some pictures I'm sure I can take some for you, although I can't see why a .22 would be very exciting. I do have a question though. I asked the guy at the shop about cleaning and he didn't seem concerned. I pushed a bit and he gave me a few suggestions but I really don't remember much of what he said. Could you guys help me out? Forgive the newbie this once :). A rod with some patches for the bore and lubricant for the bolt and action? I sort of need specifics though.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
You'd be surprised how many of us old-timers spend more hours behind the trigger of a .22LR than any other gun. ;)

I'm not familiar with that action so hopefully someone else will have specific pointers on cleaning.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
I'm not even as old as broom and I enjoy shooting .22LR more than anything else.

You'll get a lot better the more you shoot.

You shouldn't have to clean it much. Wipe down the action with a oily rag to keep powder residue cleaned off. The bore doesn't need to be scrubbed but about once a year (if that) no matter how much you shoot.

·
Super Moderator
3,826 Posts
Good choice

Haelon,
I have the same rifle and with a bit of practice you will be shooting very well. The Savage Mark II is one of my favorites and I shoot it often.

I clean my rifles after every use with solvent on a patch pushed through the bore, then a few dry patches, and an oil patch. Before shooting again, I run a few dry patches through the bore. Hope this helps. All the best...
Gil

·
Banned
421 Posts
Haelon,
As you've already seen, you will get as many opinions on cleaning as you get answers! Many people believe a 22 bore doesn't need to get cleaned until accuracy falls off. I was taught to clean any gun after every use. You can't hurt it by cleaning unless you get overly aggressive with a metal cleaning rod. You could damage the crown at the end of the barrel, or the chamber if not careful. What I use on all my guns is a bore snake. I find they do an excellent job, and I don't have to worry about damage. Whether you clean the bore every outing or not, you should wipe the gun down with a rag that is damp with something like Hoppe's #9, or whatever you prefer. If the action gets gummy you can use a spray cleaner and then a lube, after removing the action from the stock. I'm not sure if you have a wood stock or a synthetic, but it's a good idea to keep the cleaner aff the stock anyway. After cleaning just wipe it down with a damp oily rag. Too much oil will attract dirt and gum things up faster, so be careful not to overdo it.
I have a Savage bolt action in 17HMR with a wood stock and an accutrigger, and I love it. It shoots almost as my other 17HMR, which is an Anschutz. You've chosen very well, and if you take care of it, you can teach your grandkids how to shoot and hunt with it when the time comes.
Have fun and be careful! I remember when I was still in school and hunting squirrels and rabbits with my old Glenfield model 25. Those are some of my very best memories. There is no such thing as hunting and plinking too much IMO!
Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts