Shooters Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Banned
421 Posts
Haelon,
As you've already seen, you will get as many opinions on cleaning as you get answers! Many people believe a 22 bore doesn't need to get cleaned until accuracy falls off. I was taught to clean any gun after every use. You can't hurt it by cleaning unless you get overly aggressive with a metal cleaning rod. You could damage the crown at the end of the barrel, or the chamber if not careful. What I use on all my guns is a bore snake. I find they do an excellent job, and I don't have to worry about damage. Whether you clean the bore every outing or not, you should wipe the gun down with a rag that is damp with something like Hoppe's #9, or whatever you prefer. If the action gets gummy you can use a spray cleaner and then a lube, after removing the action from the stock. I'm not sure if you have a wood stock or a synthetic, but it's a good idea to keep the cleaner aff the stock anyway. After cleaning just wipe it down with a damp oily rag. Too much oil will attract dirt and gum things up faster, so be careful not to overdo it.
I have a Savage bolt action in 17HMR with a wood stock and an accutrigger, and I love it. It shoots almost as my other 17HMR, which is an Anschutz. You've chosen very well, and if you take care of it, you can teach your grandkids how to shoot and hunt with it when the time comes.
Have fun and be careful! I remember when I was still in school and hunting squirrels and rabbits with my old Glenfield model 25. Those are some of my very best memories. There is no such thing as hunting and plinking too much IMO!
Hope this helps!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.