Shooters Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
It used to be warrantee work was done by the dealer. Most companies complained about how much it cost so started their own 'repair business'. Returns have to be a small percentage of what used to be returned to the dealer due to shipping PITAs.

What they all need is a Quality Control department!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am giving myself a mental "swift kick" for buying a new product design before it had been thoroughly tested by being on the market for a few years. I put too much stock in the on line reviews and it overcame my common sense. I am typically pretty skeptical of anything like that. Not the first time a guy got suckered in by something pretty, I guess.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Not the first time a guy got suckered in by something pretty, I guess.
Don't beat yourself up too badly over this!
I respect Henry and what they are doing but its hard to expect consistent quality when they are diversifying into all the models and variations at the rate they are.
Unfortunately I am reading of many others (on other forums) who have experienced a multiple return such as you have and this is unfortunate.
I consider myself lucky with my one and only Henry (BBB .357) but I was skeptical for a few years and finally decided on one (when I found it) and only after looking at several both new and used.
When I found mine I literally looked it over more than ANY other gun i had ever bought - and this included a patch down the barrel and lots of function checks with snap caps.
With all due consideration I doubt Henry will ever approach the same acceptance and somewhat universal appeal of say Ruger has - with regard to them being a somewhat 'modern' firearm manufacturer - but in all fairness I am not old enough to have any knowledge of how their quality was 'early on' but they are no doubt a respected 'player' in the
world of firearms today - and I have owned several and recently bought a new one - a 9mm PCC.
My Henry will probably be the only one I ever own and I'll continue to concentrate on 'classics' like I always have.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I know this thread is about rifles, so take this for what it's worth. I bought a 12 gauge Henry single shot about a year ago and have put many hundreds of rounds through it since then (I'm not one who cares about counting my rounds), and it has performed flawlessly. Fit and finish is very good although admittedly I'm no expert on that and the wood is beautiful. I liked it so much, I recently bought a 410 bore in the same model, which I haven't shot yet. Same excellent quality fit and finish, and the wood on this shotgun is even more attractive than on my 12 gauge.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here is my tale of woe

For me, Henry Firearms has a 100% new, in the box failure rate.

I bought the first basic model of 22lr levergun one or two years into production. Never shot it. When I cleaned the bore to make sure there was no oil in it the cleaning patches got shredded. It felt like the bore was full of metal chips and shavings, but it wasn't. Back to the factory it went, and was replaced.

A couple years later I bought a Henry Golden Boy in 22 magnum. It passed the cleaning patch test but failed miserably at the range. All types of ammo key holed as close as 50 yards. Back to the factory it went, and it was replaced.

A few more years later , yes I bought another Henry. I shoot lever action silhouette and wanted a backup rifle for my Winchester 9422 Legacy. There was high praise for the Henry Frontier Long Barrel rifle in 22lr on a couple forums. I know two fellow silhouette shooters who have one , and love them.
I should have known better........
The rifle that was shipped to my local gun shop had the barrel installed crooked. The rifle was not damaged, bent or dropped. Looking at the rifle from the rear as if it was ready to be fired sitting in a front and rear rest it was obvious. The muzzle was canted to right at least an inch. At a regional match I met a man with the same exact story about the same model rifle. Back to the factory it went, and it was replaced.

Never again....

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
DAVIDMAGNUM, I have had so many new-in-box failures with so many different brands of firearms I now refuse to purchase a new rifle. In fact, the only thing I will buy now is after market barrels for my Encores. I even bought a one off custom mauser, absolutely beautiful gun, never sold, that had feeding issues that I had to return. I am even sending back rifle scope defective out of the box. I have one boxed up to go back to a major manufacturer tomorrow. Installed on the gun and could not get it bore sighted. The windage adjustment would not work, then the turret fell off.

Maybe I am just a hard luck guy when it comes to guns, etc.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts