Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New to this forum and thought I would share a pic of my Marlin 917 vs. Lets just say I love it. Had it less than a month and already have about 300 shells through it.

·
Banned
421 Posts
Welcome to the shooter's forum lostart. Nice looking Marlin you have there. I bet it's a good shooter too. I haven't seen too many Marlin rimfires that weren't. Do you hunt with it, or just target practice? I'm curious about how you use the bipod.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
We have a 917V. WE jumped on the 17HMR wagon pretty hard. This rifle is a good shooter. WE installed a BSA Sweet 17 straight 4X scope which has a drop compensator. We use it to shoot barnyard pests such as “digger” or “picket pin” squirrels. We don’t use a bipod but often lean against a fence post, out building or other solid object to steady our aim. The rifle is very accurate.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
lostart; Welcome to the Beartooth! That is a nice rifle!!! I have an old Marlin mod 25 that shoots one ragged hole at 25 yards with CCI Mini Mag HP's. It has accounted for countless numbers of small game since I have owned it...I am thinking near 30 years. I am hoping it will maintain this accuracy till I cant shoot it anymore. Wish you the best with your new Marlin, and stick around the forum...always interesting stuff going on here.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a shooter. That cabellas tactical scope makes it hard to miss. I hunt with it as well as target practice. excellent prairie dogger out to about 175 or so. And that little .17 makes em fly too. My buddy has the savage with the thumbhole stock. and it seems that they shoot much the same. The bipods are great, they extend long enough so you can sit on a hill and shoot all day.

·
Banned
421 Posts
It is a shooter. That cabellas tactical scope makes it hard to miss. I hunt with it as well as target practice. excellent prairie dogger out to about 175 or so. And that little .17 makes em fly too. My buddy has the savage with the thumbhole stock. and it seems that they shoot much the same. The bipods are great, they extend long enough so you can sit on a hill and shoot all day.
Thanks for sharing that. I'm very envious. I would dearly love to come out your way at some point and shoot prairie dogs. We don't have any shooting opportunities remotely similar to that here in the east. To sit in one place and shoot all day is something I can only dream about! Enjoy that new Savage! You made an excellent choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to clarity my gun is a Marlin 917 vs .17 HMR.

There are lots of opportunities for using this gun here. I had a boss once that had a full square mile of prairie dog town, nothing but dirt and holes. It is very fun. I am a trapper so this gun made a few trips on the line so I also have opportunities for raccoons, skunks and other varmints of the sort.

The HMRs are fun to shoot, only wish ammo was cheaper. I guess it will just take time. If anyone here is thinking about one of these, I say go for it. You won't regret it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.