Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working with my nephew for sometime teaching him everything I know about shooting and hunting. He has a 30/30 and before hunting season we did some shooting. I reloaded him some ammo so we worked those out and it started raining. We moved into the 2nd floor of the barn and I took a few shots at the 276 yard taget. BING BING My rifle was zeroed just how I wanted it. My nephew sets up and BING!!!! WTF?! He binged it like 6 out of 8 times. I was amazed at how this novice shooter and a 336 was doing in the rain and wind. When I first started teaching him he had a flinch and could not hold 12 inches at 100. Without him knowing it I handed him a empty rifle to show him his trigger pull flinch. Explaining to him it should surprise him when it goes off and not anticipate the shot. It must have worked. Anyway he will be passing me up soon enough. I am very proud. Still can not believe he was consistantly hitting a 12 inch gong at 276 yards.

AL

·
Premium Member
7,591 Posts
There are a lot worse things that can happen with the young ones! Keep up the good work with him, and good for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I emphasized breathing, squeeze, and patience so much when my oldest daughter learned to shoot at age 11, she outshoots me by a long shot. It may take her eternity to get a shot off, but when she does, it is on. I'll never forget the time I acused her of missing the whole target with shot numbers 2 and 3. You can guess where the points of impact were when we studied the target closely[/B] When I want to know exactly what a load is doing, I have her shoot it. She's 17 yr now and has put the smack on lots of paper and 12 whitetails. It's amazing what kids can do when they do what you say and not what you do.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
A younger set of eyes really helps. lol

Keep it up.

·
Banned
674 Posts
Sign of a good coach is when he can get his students to outshoot him. Good on you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts