Shooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Congrats on your T/C .50 - now, all that's needed for hunting is a non-breakable ramrod.

IMHO the brass-trimmed rifles look best after a few years, when the bright brass has tarnished to a nice/even/brown patina - AND glare less for hunting, also.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
And I shine the brass on my rifles about once a month... I like them of shine and never found it a problem with spooking game animals. Each their own. I know one person changed it all over to iron furniture. Actually it looked real nice.

·
Banned
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This one is a .50 and came with an unbreakable ramrod. I'll probably go back to a wooden rammer. These carry a lot like my Marlins and that's why I like them so much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Pedersoli Hawken in 54 cal PB. Very accurate and a joy to shoot.....................like your rifle too.............have fun.

Mc

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice looking Hawkin type......I'd stick with the non-breakable ramrod for hunting tho. Break the wood ram rod when out hunting and yer dun 'til U find a new one. What twist does TC use if that is what it is? I'm in the "let the brass get dull club" but some aren't.......& I like 1:66 for round ball loads.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am jealous. I had one with a flintlock, but it wasn't a T/C. May as well start ringing the dinner bell whenever I took it into the woods. Wow, it was a shooter with 385 gr conicals or round balls. Borrowed my buddy's inline last season, and it just wasn't the same. And....oh my goodness (just remembered)..... he has a 3-9 scope on it, and at low power I couldn't find the vitals on a deer through brush at 15 yds while hunting on the ground. I'll be saving up to get another traditional muzzleloader probably with a percussion sidelock this time. Let us know how it shoots........ nice choice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts