Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guy's/Gal's

Finally have my new Ruger Mark IV 10" finished, well at least for the most part. I hate the Volquartsen scope rail on it. I have the Ruger factory rail coming. I should get it Saturday. But here she is for now. I have all the Volquartsen innards in her along with the Competition Target Grips and a Simmons Tubed type Red Dot which I prefer. Could not find my usual Millett Tube type Red Dot that I usually can get and like but this Simmons seams like it was made by the same company, so it should work just fine.

I tried the C-More Red Dot. Just a cheaper model, really did not care for it. Can't wait to get the much thinner scope rail on her. Should be a steel plate killing machine though.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Nice looking rig, looks pretty heavy, what does it weigh?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin,
I am not sure what she weighs. She is definitely a little hefty, but that is the way I like my Plinking/Steel plate pistols. I find that when shooting free hand for me anyway with a heavier barrel it will hold on target easier while squeezing that round off.

Trying to hit that steel 1" hanging target at 25 yards free hand is challenging enough for me. Using a lighter barreled pistol and the extra movement even makes it more challenging off hand.

I would not want to shoot more than a couple magazines through her before taking a rest for a minute or so. My shooting would go down and become a little unsteady probably around the third magazine. I like to shoot a couple magazines then rest while loading them back up. :)

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,260 Posts
I have the six inch version and love it.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,598 Posts
Do this exercise while watching TV, start with a gallon milk jug with say a quart of water in it (two pounds) and hold it at arm's length (like you were shooting) for say a minute or until your arm gets tired, whichever comes first. When you get so that's pretty easy for say, 4 minutes, add another pint of water (now it's three pounds). Let's say that pistol weighs, oh 4 pounds, keep up your regimen until you can hold at least six pounds for say three minutes without your arm quivering. Do both arms so 't missus doesn't look at you like your daft. That helped me a lot with stability.

RJ

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,598 Posts
A glove with a wrist wrap helps too.

The new Harbinger weightlifting gloves have spandex between the fingers and are faux leather but the result is still the same.

RJ

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I have the older MKII version and it's a tack driver.

I used to shoot it in bowling pin and steel plate matches when I was done shooting NRA Bullseye. I have a 2-7 power redfield scope on mine and it works very well.

The gun also has a habit of eating any ammo I feed it, without a hiccup. I can't say the same for the Brownings I was frequently shooting against.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dmsbandit,
Thanks for posting, especially with the picture. Yours looks awesome. I am glad I got another 10", I should have never traded my Mark II 10" for the S&W 41 years ago. But I am happy with the Mark IV version due to it being drilled and tapped for a scope rail. My eye's are not getting any younger and a scope (have a 2x7-32 on my S&W 41) or a Red Dot sure makes life and the shooting experience a whole lot more fun.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Back when shooting .22 rimfire silhouette around here, there were quite few competitors using the Ruger Mark pistols, with the 10-inch, GREAT EIGHT, and the 6 7/8ths versions being most popular.
I don't ever remember any of the shooters doing one hand shooting, or even two-handed style. Most, as myself, were doing the "Creedmore Style" resting the pistol against the right leg. I never got fatigued that way, and it was a very comfortable and stable method to use:

Seems to me that the Ruger KMK10 and MK10 were designed more for the silhouette game and hunting rather than one handed bullseye shooting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts