Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 464 yesterday and after years of wanting a lever action and the better part of 6 months obsessing about them I finally got to get out and put some lead to a target despite the 12+" of snow I had to trudge though every 3-5 shots while trying to get it sighted in - good thing I had my son with me to do some of the grunt work of going to check it out!

I've spent a lot of time stopping into gun shops in my area to get my hands on as many as possible firearms to see which rifle I felt most comfortable with and after handling Rossi's and Marlins and Mossbergs and Winchesters I finally settled in on the 464. Despite having a price tag as low as it was, the Mossberg actually had one of the smoothest actions of all the guns I handled. This really surprised me because I had already made the mistake of counting them out because of the bad reviews I had read about them but I'm happy that I formulated my own opinion! With a nice Saturday afternoon trip with the wife, and only the wife :D (sorry kids) I was able to pick my 464 up for 360.00 out the door. That's a price I can feel real good about - almost validates the tireless searching I did on gunbroker and gunsamerica and every other gun site I could find for the past 6 months (I loved every minute of it thought).

So when I got back from our day trip down to Pennsylvania (I live in NY) and got the kids in bed and I FINALLY got to sit down and go over every inch of her without hindrance or the distraction of small talk with the gun shop clerk and was able to to study ever inch I was very happy over all.

There was one small thing that kind of erk'd me (and probably just because I am O.C.D. about parallel lines) the rear sight dove tail was not cut perfectly perpendicular with the barrel so the sight isn't parallel. Unfortunately, so much that even with the adjustments on the flip up sight, I wasn't able to get it perfectly sighted in for my first outing today. It was shooting about 2-3" to the left at 75 yards (according to my son lol) Instead of tapping it over in the dovetail so that it works properly I am going to get a skinnner peep sight and not have to be annoyed by the non-parallel sight... Not that big of a deal for a $360 rifle...

I've heard of some people having some issues with cycling rounds and I did experience this at first too. I initially was kind of frustrated but after loading and cycling a box of shells over and over last night, by the time my thumb was raw from the loading gate and my wife was hearing that beautiful sound of a lever opening and closing that bolt in her sleep, it had gotten significantly better. It was jamming once in a while here or there and wasn't picking up a shell every time I cycled the lever but by the time I got it out to the range today I didn't have a single problem with it. If 24 hours of playing with it fixes the problem then I dont consider it a problem in the first place. (thats what she said)

Expectations for anything, especially something mass produced for such a reasonable price as the 464 has to allow for small problems - nothing is 100% perfect. But aside from the small manageable issues I had with my new Mossberg, I'm pretty darn happy!

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
FWIW, I have owned and handled several Winchester and Marlin lever guns.

I'm trying to recall one that had the sight slots milled properly.

Nope, not a one I can recall.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Nice report - Thanks for posting it !

If you're considering the "Skinner peep" that replaces the rear barrel sight, I would respectfully suggest you don't do so - as the best practice (for peep sight use) is to have the aperture much closer to the eye than the bbl location.

Williams (and maybe Skinner) make top-mount receiver peep sights that will utilize the scope prep D/T'ing atop the receiver ring (The Williams WGRS) - but there are two things to keep in mind:

1) The higher line-of-sight of a top-mount receiver sight will require a new front sight blade (taps out/in) that's approx .10" higher than the issue front sight blade to successfully zero the rifle.
It's a golden opportunity to change the front sight type to another (than issue) that may be more to your liking, beit a Gold, Ivory, or Fiber-Optic bead, or a square Patridge blade (Skinner - $15).

2) For a clean sight picture while using a receiver peep sight, best practice is to remove the issue rear barrel iron/open sight (tap out to the right), and fill the vacant dovetail slot with either a commercial slot filler blank, or a filler made from the male dovetail section of an old longleaf rear sight (below).

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I looked pretty hard a these rifles but ended up with a Winchester. I got Skinner sights for mine and like them. My 94 is a angle eject and had scope mounting holes just forward of the hammer and Skinner had a peep sight made for my application. Mine is a ranger that had a post on the front. To get the height I needed I put on a generic ramp and a front sight from Skinner. Works great.

OH yea, have fun with that new gun.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Very Slick, I have a supply of slot blanks, but that looks better.

The WGRS is simple and sturdy, but as noted, you will need a new front sight.

If you want to utilize a wide range of bullets, it's hard to get a single front sight that covers all bases. In my .30-30's, I use 110/130/150/170gr jacketed bullets, and 160gr cast bullets over Trail Boss. The WGRS didn't have enough range of adjustment to accommodate that, so I eventually installed Lyman side mounted sights. If you will only shoot 150/170gr bullets, the WGRS is a very good sight. I passed o the Skinners and such, very good also, as the ability to instantly adjust for different loads, and back again, suits my experimental projects better.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Was your Mossy prepped for the Lyman side-mount peep, or did it need D&T ?

·
Registered
567 Posts
I also got the bug to try the Mossberg 464 so April 2012, I picked up a 464 with the pistol grip and walnut stock. In truth, out here in Colorado, we don't use many 30-30 rifles because of the open country and longer ranges, however, I just had to add one to my collection, just because.

I had looked at new Winchester '94s and Marlin 336s and wasn't impressed with either of them. The Winchesters were expensive, the actions stiff, and the triggers were just horrible. The Marlins were equally unimpressive with poorly fitted wood, thick clunky stocks, and cycled roughly.

I also looked at older Winchester '94s and all seemed to be in poor shape for their price points. Decent ones still had floppy actions and triggers and were priced like they were made out of gold, especially the pre '64 versions.

I had checked out the Mossberg when they first came out but passed when I heard about the extractor issue. Later, I found out that they had addressed the issue and also come out with the pistol grip version.

I checked one out at a local funstore and was pleasantly surprised with it, both the design and the execution. For a modern rifle it was decently made, the stock was finished well and fitted to the action fairly well, and the feel was spot on for me. It just seemed to shoulder naturally and felt slim and handy much like the Winchester.

In addition, it had great sights, a decently smooth action (for a new gun), and a trigger I didn't hate. I've shot some 380rds of my 150grn handloads through mine to date and I must admit I'm pleasantly surprised with it.

It's surprisingly accurate for a 30-30 with iron sights even out past 150yds. The trigger, while on the heavy side, is smooth without a lot of creep, and the action has worked in so it cycles smoothly. It's a keeper and plinking with it is a heck of a lot of fun.

Reactions: T.R.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got my 464 yesterday and after years of wanting a lever action and the better part of 6 months obsessing about them I finally got to get out and put some lead to a target despite the 12+" of snow I had to trudge though every 3-5 shots while trying to get it sighted in - good thing I had my son with me to do some of the grunt work of going to check it out!
Congrats and welcome to the 464 owners club. I got mine in Sept 2011. I went through all of the sight trial and error stuff. Finally mounted a 2-7 scope. My eye sight just ain't what it used to be. The rifle has served me well. Handles many different ammo combinations. No jams... no extractor problems. Reasonable accuracy. Comfortable to carry in the woods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts