Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am so pumped!!!

I've been struggling w/ selecting a rifle because my style of hunting has changed. Before I was going on "gentlemenly hunts" now it's scabbards, horses and rough rides on Argos. My beautiful wood stock would've been toast and beat-up after 2 hunts.

I couldn't find a rifle w/ all of the attributes I wanted. Gave an overview of what I was looking for. I didn't even realize that this Rem model was available. It is a non-catolog item and I think it's the bomb!!! (for me that is!) It's a Model 700 308 S/S action/ barrel, X Mark Pro trigger, aluminum pillar bedding, 24" barrel, syn. stock, same 5R rifling as Remington's M24 sniper rifle, all for less than $1,000 bucks!

I'm posting this because if any of you are looking for a rifle like this, it's my understanding there are some available. Remington Model #29663. You can find info by googling the model number. Otherwise you can't find it on Rem's website or catalog. Model numbers that begin w/ a #2 supposedly come from the custom shop. Standard production model numbers begin w/ #8.

I am a "non-paid spokes-person"!!:rolleyes:

You can call Craig @ 877-817-2557 or mailto:[email protected] They're out of OH.

Again; if Craig hadn't been knowledgeable enough to tell me about this rifle; I wouldn't have ever known!! It's exactly what I was looking for. The barrel rifling is what makes it special.

Hope I don't get yelled at for passing this info along.

I hope this is legal to post. I'm just trying to pass the word on a rifle that otherwise is a secret!

Kahuner

·
Registered
70 Posts
That does sound like a sweet deal. I bought a plain Remington sps a while back and been looking at selling or trading it in for a stainless ill definitely have to check these out. Thanks for the info.

You know if its a heavy barrel?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got so excited I almost soiled my pants after learning of this rifle's reputation; which was 20 minutes after buying!! DOH!! Everybody (owners) online; claim .3" groups at 100 yrds!! Reports were from 5 years ago but they're still available.

It became even better when I discovered I wasn't charged for using a C/C and the selling price included freight!!!

I won't be able to sleep tonite!!

I need more beer!!:D

Kahuner

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Well i wont' be able to sleep tonight either because in all of your excitement and fantastic description you left out the caliber of the gun. LOL Please come back and fill in the blank. I haven't heard of these either, and it does sound like a good deal. Anyway, congrats to you sir and have fun with it.:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My gaps are the the "Nixon tapes"? Is that what you're tellin' me?

Sorry; it's a 308

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
LOL
I just looked one up and it says it has a HS Precision Kevlar-Fiber stock with the bedding blocks. That makes it even better because that's a high dollar stock and IMO one of the best on the market. Glad you put this on here, i never would have known either. What i read also said they are out the the custom shop also. Have fun with it and congrats again

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes; I've shot it for the past week; everyday for hours; thru a chrono and was very excited about the performance! Consist groups .300" or less on good days witth the bullets seated to SAMMI specs. That came as a surprise as the rifling is .150" from the ogive of the bullet. 168 and 180 TSX Barnes bullets as well as a Sierra 180 gr SPBT all shot well! 42gr of 4895 for any 180 gr bullet and 43 gr of 4895 for the 165 0r 268 bullets.

Better yet; all of our loading was based on info from Barnes's website for FREE! We worked with 3 rifles that had barrell lengths from 16" on an AR 10 to 26" on a 300 Rem Ultra Mag. We followed the speeds and type of powder recommended on Barnes's website and THAT"S EXACTLY the results we got!! Even from the 16" AR barrell. Barnes should be commended for all of the hard work and info that they've done over the past couple of years. They've restated their BC's (to actual BC's based on shooting out to 300 yrds) so that a person like myself doesn't have to flounder with all of the data.

Bottomline is that I can now shoot a 168 TSX or a 180 gr TSX bullet at 2700 or 2600 FPS respectively and there's no need to adjust the scope for ranges out to 400 yrds. Bullet drop is just about the same; ~9" @ 300 yrds and ~26" @ 400 yrds w/ a 200 yrd zero.

I am very, very happy!!

Kahuner

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Good deal, sounds great. Another guy on here bought the exact same gun about a week after you did and is extremely happy with his as well. He too had never heard of these until someone at the gun shop where he bought showed it to him while he was in there looking for something else. Man those are some mighty tight groups. Congrats again !

·
Banned
14 Posts
Kahuner, you made a really good choice in rifles. In 2010 I bought three of them .223, .308 and .300 Win Mag. They are all extremely accurate.
I did have all three bedded and installed a Jewell trigger on the .308 and had a muzzle brake installed on the .300WM. I do not like the X Mark Pro triggers on these rifles and will change the .223 out to a Jewell this year and then the .300. I could not adjust the trigger light enough to my liking (1/12 to 2#). The triggers on the .223 and .300 are better but still not to my liking.
As far as the additional bedding, I can't really tell if accuracy of either rifle was improved to any degree as they shot extremely well before it was done. The best improvement was changing out the trigger mechanism and the .300s muzzle brake.
My .308 loves both Hornady 168 AMAX and 168 SMKs over IMR4895 and the .300 loves the Berger 168 VLD Hunting bullet over H1000.
The 5R rifling is easy to clean and seems to not collect copper to any degree.
I scoped the .308 with a Nightforce 4.5-15X50 NXS, the .300 with a Leupold Mk 4 and the .223 with a Burris TAC30 using 20 MOA bases.
Load lots of ammo and enjoy your rifle.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Silvertip;

Funny you mention bedding your 5-R rifles; cause that's what I'm doing to this one right now. All I'm doing is removing some of the material behind the recoil lug (alum block) and then adding Devcon to square the recoil lug back up to the aluminum bedding block. Also adding Devcon along the sides of the action. This should insure that the action remains aligned in the stock.

After inspecting the factory bedding; I found over-spray on the rear tang of the aluminum bedding block that would've prevented the action from sitting flat on the alum. block. Created a high spot. Then I looked at the rearside of the recoil lug and it appeared the recoil lug didn't have full contact w/ the bedding block. Between the 2; I decided to bed the rifle.

After many days of giving thought (anguish actually!) to wanting the action/ barrel black w/ an olive drab green stock; out came the 320 grit sandpaper!

You may want to check into the bullistics of the 180 gr bullet in your 308; especially if you're hunting out beyond 300 yards. Even though the 180 is slower by 100 fps when compared to a 168gr; the BC of a 180 is such (superior) that it delivers more energy beyond 300 yds. and groups extremely well. Just a thought.

Kahuner

·
Registered
541 Posts
I read about this gun just a month or so ago. I told my remington-fan friend about it, but he isn`t interested in a .308. Too bad. Ive heard great things about this rifle!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 5-R Milspec is available in 2 other calibers...... I believe. They are a 223 and 300 Win Mag or maybe it was a 300 WUM. The key to obtaining a 5-R rifle is for your local dealer buying the 5-R thru Accusport; a Remington distributor. Accusport orders sufficient 5-R quantities from Remington; otherwise the 5-R wouldn't exist.

Changing subjects slightly; my hunting partner shoots a 300 Rem UM and that's a rifle! Whistles a 180 gr bullet @ 3200 fps!! He has shot elk at over 800 yds w/ clean kills. I mention it only because if someone is interested in something bigger than a 308; the 300 Rem UM or 300 WUM calibers are a powerful choice of calibers; for sure!! Shoot that 30 times in a day while developing loads and you're a real man in my book!! You're gonna hurt!!

Kahuner

·
Banned
14 Posts
Kahuner,
When you put the finish on your rifle please post some pics and give a detailed account of how you applied it and what you used.
I might want to finish my .308 and maybe the .300 Win Mag.
While hunting last fall, I think the matt stainless barrel on my .308 spooked a doe that was only about 30 yards from me. I will either need to put some matte color on it or wrap it with light camo cloth. I don't like camp tape cause it's so messy to take off.
Most of the hunting here is 100 yds or less and i have the .308 sighted for 100, but the .300 is sighted at 300 yds. About the only time long shots are avaliable is over the clear cut areas or over pastures or rye grass fields.
silvertip

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am so pumped!!!

I've been struggling w/ selecting a rifle because my style of hunting has changed. Before I was going on "gentlemenly hunts" now it's scabbards, horses and rough rides on Argos. My beautiful wood stock would've been toast and beat-up after 2 hunts.

I couldn't find a rifle w/ all of the attributes I wanted. Gave an overview of what I was looking for. I didn't even realize that this Rem model was available. It is a non-catolog item and I think it's the bomb!!! (for me that is!) It's a Model 700 308 S/S action/ barrel, X Mark Pro trigger, aluminum pillar bedding, 24" barrel, syn. stock, same 5R rifling as Remington's M24 sniper rifle, all for less than $1,000 bucks!

I'm posting this because if any of you are looking for a rifle like this, it's my understanding there are some available. Remington Model #29663. You can find info by googling the model number. Otherwise you can't find it on Rem's website or catalog. Model numbers that begin w/ a #2 supposedly come from the custom shop. Standard production model numbers begin w/ #8.

I am a "non-paid spokes-person"!!:rolleyes:

You can call Craig @ 877-817-2557 or mailto:[email protected] They're out of OH.

Again; if Craig hadn't been knowledgeable enough to tell me about this rifle; I wouldn't have ever known!! It's exactly what I was looking for. The barrel rifling is what makes it special.

Hope I don't get yelled at for passing this info along.

I hope this is legal to post. I'm just trying to pass the word on a rifle that otherwise is a secret!

Kahuner
Hope I'm posting this in the right place. Been a while since I've been here and all formats are different.
I'd love to see pics also.
I had mine refinished in Cerakote Matte Black..It looks too good to shoot. And shoot it does. I've put a Jewell trigger in and have it set at 1 lb and it's perfect. I shoot Norma brass with Sierra 168 matchkings and 42.5 grs. RL15 powder. Use the Federal GM215M primers . So far this is the combo that the rifle loves most. Am going to try others.
A friend tried to get me to have his smith true up the bolt and some other stuff but I honestly do not believe the rifle will shoot any better having all that done so I'm saving that money, which I don't have anyhow. With a blackhawk cheekpad, Harris 6-9 swivel bipod, the Cerakote finish and a Yankee Hill Phantom suppressor, the rifle truly looks like the outstanding shooter that it is. And the accuracy difference with or without the suppressor is negligible, or everhow you spell it.
One thing on your rifle, and I'm not picking, just curious. The #2 and #8'a that you mentioned as far as model numbers; did you by any chance mean "order" numbers instead of model numbers?? I'm trying to figure out where mine came from and my order number starts with a 2 but no 8's anywhere.
Thanks for a great article.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was in that (OH) store a month ago and was suprised to see at least three 5R Mil-specs on display. Had just spent over a grand on an off-the-rack 700, an aftermarket trigger, and a different stock, as I'd considered a 5R but didn't really want any of the calibers it's offered in. At any rate, they are a bargain, and one of the best-kept secrets around...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts