Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had been looking at a lot of ideas for a close range, woods gun. On my land, things are tight and 30-70 yard shots are the norm. I killed one deer at 15 yards.

So after getting a christmas gift from a friend, I decided now what I want. My friend the gun dealer, picked me up a short action Ruger boat paddle at a gun show he was set up at.

So I'm going to get an All Weather Ruger Hawkeye in .338 RCM, and put it in my new boat paddle stock. They come with 20" barrels and iron sights. I have a ton of .338 bullets around, so it should be just the ticket ! I believe with the Iron Sights, and a Barnes 160gr TTSX pushed to 3000fps, should mean anything in the ranges I need it should be toast !

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ruger's are nice rifles, but 338 RCM brass might be hard to find.

For your particular application, have you considered the charismatic and venerable 45-70? Here's my stainless Marlin Guide Gun with a 4x Burris Timberline scope. :cool:

·
Registered
9,643 Posts
Not what i usually think of when someone is talking "brush gun" but it certainly would work and you've got the bullets in hand. Usually think of big calibers (and the 338 can count as one) and heavy bullets (those 160's aren't), looking to get the energy through weight rather than speed (idea being that at short range, high vel/flat trajectory isn't really needed, so rather than throwing a high speed golf gall, tend to think in terms of a baseball).

But that's just me...your idea will certainly work.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
458, yes I have ! I love the old 45-70, and the new 450 marlin. Would really like to have a .458 Win Mag, or .458 RUM :D as well

·
Registered
274 Posts
Tang, I like the .338 RCM but I would go with a 45-70. wait a year or so until your sure the RCM will stick around. I had to talk myself out of getting one a few months ago for that reason.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The Ruger bolt action .44 mag with detachable rotary magazine would be real handy. 6 pounds with 18.5 inch barrel. A "pre-expanded" 300 grain hardcast Beartooth bullet would be devestating or a 300 grain Partition would work real good as well. You need at least one gun that shoots big slow bullets. I still see a 45-70 in your future with 400 to 500 grain hardcast bullets.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Seems like Mattsbox's .444 Marlin that he has for sale would be perfect for your application. Of course, it's not a MAGNUM!!! (:)D))

·
Registered
486 Posts
Or how about a Ruger No.1 45-70? I have one of these also. It's one classy shooting iron. :cool:

That is my favorite rifle, PERIOD! I already have a 45/70 in a Marlin, so I would go for a different caliber though.
Dan

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I don't know, Tang...those Virginny deer are awful tough, aren't they? You sure you want to take a chance on that tiny little 160gr bullet at less than 3500fps doing the job all the way out at 70 yards?! I mean, sure, maybe it will work at that range, but what if you see one at 100 yards and it's a really nice buck...without a 338RUM, you might not be able to anchor him! ;)

Yeah, I'm yankin' yer chain, but you ASKED FOR IT! Truth is, at 70 yards a 32/20 will suffice and at 15 yards, whatever sidearm you favor will put 50lbs of venison in the freezer. I know you're just makin' conversation, but sometimes I wonder if all that magnum recoil really HAS gone to yer head. :D

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,100 Posts
I had been looking at a lot of ideas for a close range, woods gun. On my land, things are tight and 30-70 yard shots are the norm. I killed one deer at 15 yards.

So after getting a christmas gift from a friend, I decided now what I want. My friend the gun dealer, picked me up a short action Ruger boat paddle at a gun show he was set up at.

So I'm going to get an All Weather Ruger Hawkeye in .338 RCM, and put it in my new boat paddle stock. They come with 20" barrels and iron sights. I have a ton of .338 bullets around, so it should be just the ticket ! I believe with the Iron Sights, and a Barnes 160gr TTSX pushed to 3000fps, should mean anything in the ranges I need it should be toast !

Thoughts ?

That would be almost as good as a .35 Rem!!! :p

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Well, let's see, boat paddle stock, short action, .338 bullets on hand...hmmmmmmmm.... Seems to me a Hawkeye SS in .338 Fed would be the way to go. Mine shoots .75" with the relatively inexpensive Fusion 200gr ammo. I'd suspect with handloading you'd find a couple of loads that would shoot at least that well.....

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Tang........You should really get yourself a .338 Win mag and be done with all the BS!!!:eek:
Yeah, you will be able to find ammo and brass most anywhere, especially out West....that is not easy by golly.

This .338 mag can be loaded up or down the scale to suit your hunting needs and it is one of the best penetrating calibers period. A 250 grn bullet has a whopping .313 S.D. surely nothing to sneez at for a hunter.

Now in rifles, just purchase the frigging Winchester model 70 in pre-64 action and YOU will have all the bases covered and not need anything else but a good scope on top the barrel. Trust me I know and I have several styles and finishes too, all model 70 Winchesters. A great rifle and Ruger is 2nd string to a model 70 trust me.:D :cool:

·
Banned
3,929 Posts
Tenn. Hunter, now where do you go in Wyoming or Montana, when you find out you get to your destination and your ammo has disappeared???:eek: :eek: :( :D

I'll tell you real quick, you backtrack to a town, and hope you can find some of that .338....What caliber again? Oh yeah, .338 Federal.........Never heard of it will most likely be the replay from the store keep. I been down that road before and even finding my brand of ammo for a .338 Win mag was not easy but taken care of in only 5 hours of looking in gunstores for ammo.

The .338 Winchester magnum is the hunters best for taking big game animal from 0 to 400 plus yards. It also has a limit that most men can handle in recoil, something those Ultra Mags can't say when your sitting at the shooting bench........OUCH!!! In Spades.
Remember now, don't forget about that model 70 Winchester in pre-64 action. Just ain't no better guy.;) :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Tracer, welcome to the site. The irony of your recommendation is Tang already has a Ruger 338 Win Mag...and he won't hesitate to tell you he takes it out and fondles it from time to time....

·
Banned
296 Posts
If I recall correctly he plotted on cuttin the barrel down on his 338 a little while back. What ever happened to that idea Tang?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts