Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Way back in '86 I bought an old 6.5.55 swede. As I recall it only cost me $150. While recovering from a rather serious illness I set out to sporterize it ... Well long story short.. I pretty much butchered the poor thing... That being said.. It could still shoot 1.5 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards with the original open sights with factory loads. I am sure that with a little effort I would be able to greatly improve those figures so I am not too worried about it. My problem... The past 24+ years have not been all that kind to my eye sight. Its hard seeing a target at 100 yards much less being able to aim a rifle at a target that far off. I would like to mount a scope on this old beast, but because of the straight bolt handle design mounting a scope is not possible. Does anyone know where I can get a new bolt or a place where I can get this bolt adjusted so that I can mount a scope?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought one for the same price about 12 years ago that already had scope mounted on it and the bolt handle had been bent. A good gunsmith should be able to bend the bolt and drill and tap for the mounts. Another option would be to use a mount that replaces the rear sight and uses a long eye relief scope. Then the bolt handle can stay straight and you can still use the loading clips.
A third option would be to mount a receiver sight with a peep. I am 75 years old and have also discovered I can shoot a pistol well again if I use a peep hole mounted on my glasses. Try a black piece of paper with a pin hole fixed to your glasses with a paper clip. Try different size holes and see how that works. You can also get units that are commercially built and mount on your glasses. Hope this helps........Catch

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I second what "Catch" states having done that twenty years ago . you could also talk about this when ever you get your eyes checked . I had glass's made up so I could see the sites of my hand gun with my arms streched out .
It is not really a big deal to have a 96/38 Mauser scoped as rings / base's are common as well as replacement stocks .
Any smith should be able to bend the bolt or offer a replacement to your liking . Then too aftermarket barrels are a plenty to stay with the chambering or something different .
A reciever + some $$$ is all one really needs .:)

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
Have both the sporterized Swedes with the gunsmith bent handles and wanting to keep a couple in original condition, bought the B Square mount that fits on the rear sight fixture for a long eye relief scope (pistol scope works well). The non-gunsmithing mount for the sight base works well and is of minimal cost compared to the bolt bending and receiver tapping (which will require the purchase of mounts anyway).

Love my Swedes and all are great shooters, especially with handloads.

·
Registered
381 Posts
As Kdub wrote, the Bsquare scout scope mount works pretty good. I too, have a problem with tired old eyes. I have a still full military M96 swede that I installed a Bsquare mount on the rear leaf sight that I found at a gun show for less than $10. I didn't have a proper long relief pistol type scope, so just used a cheapo regular scope I had. I chuckled at my rig and after bore sighting the scope, took it to range for some 100 yard target shooting. I was kinda surprised at results. Yep, I did not have a complete sight picture thru lens of scope. But there was enough for me to shoot a much better group (around 1") than I had ever done with the rifle, using the military sights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts