Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought about having my own wildcat caliber and now I think I have an idea that might be affordable{I'm retired so cost is important}I have an antique Win model 1886 that someone has rebarreled to 33 cal so that pretty miuch takes care of the collector value.I also have a lot of 348 win brass,so I'm thinking of necking down the 348 cases to .333 Does anyone know if there has ever been a 33/348 wildcat before?Like I said I just thought it would be neat to have my very own caliber.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Just off the top of my head, isn't that duplicating the old 33 Winchester cartridge? The 348 was brought out to replace the 33 Winchester.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,748 Posts
Thought the 33 win was based on the .45-70 case, but I could be wrong.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,137 Posts
Yup - "Big Bore Rifles and Cartridges" says the .33 Win was made from the 45-70 case. It also says the .348 Win is an improved version of the .33 Win.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I've always thought about having my own wildcat caliber and now I think I have an idea that might be affordable{I'm retired so cost is important}I have an antique Win model 1886 that someone has rebarreled to 33 cal so that pretty miuch takes care of the collector value.I also have a lot of 348 win brass,so I'm thinking of necking down the 348 cases to .333 Does anyone know if there has ever been a 33/348 wildcat before?Like I said I just thought it would be neat to have my very own caliber.
I know Gary Reeder has done a 348 case necked up to both 41 and 45, but I don't know that he's necked it down at all. If you do decide to create such a 'cat, consider going with an improved design so you can reduce the amount of backthrust and possibly increase case life. You probably have enough cases to last a lifetime, but the original 348 design would benefit from these improvements. Since you're going to have a custom reamer and dies made, you might as well. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rifle is a 33cal now.I am checking into ackleys 338-348 wildcat.waiting for a book to get all the info on it.sounds like what I might want to do.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
The rifle is a 33cal now.I am checking into ackleys 338-348 wildcat.waiting for a book to get all the info on it.sounds like what I might want to do.
That sounds like it would be an excellent choice, given the barrel and brass you already have, on hand. If you head down that road, please let us know how it all works out; that's one project I would be very interested to see. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems like a very easy and not very expensive way to go.Elk ridge reamer rentals has the reamer for rent and C H has the dies.I let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I designed the 9x39 Jag in 1997. JGS made the reamers and guages. Its a 7.62x39 case opened up to take 357 inch bullets ( not 9mm). Its loads of fun and the old Carcano rifles can be rebarreled to it! I had first tried to find something similar that could be built on this cartridgecase to no avail, so I designed my own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts