Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI GUYS,
THIS WILL CONFIRM SUSPICIONS THAT I'M CRAZY, LAZY OR JUST PLAIN STUPID. I OFFER THIS TO POSSIBLY PREVENT SOME ELSE FROM MAKING MY SAME MISTAKE AND POSSIBLY SUSTAINING A SERIOUS INJURY OR RUINING A GOOD REVOLVER.
THE SITUATION: WHILE SITTING AT A BENCH AT THE CLUB, I LOADED THREE ROUNDS OF LO-VEL .454 RELOADS THAT WERE SEPARATED FROM THE OTHERS IN MY AMMO BOX---BUT I COULDN'T REMEMBER WHY I HAD DONE THAT.
I AIMED AT MY USUAL 1" RED DOT AT 25 YARDS AND FIRED. NO RECOIL TO SPEAK OF, AND I COULDN'T SEE A HOLE ANYWHERE IN THE TARGET PAPER . I RECOCKED THE HAMMER AND FIRED AGAIN. NO RECOIL BUT THIS TIME I WAS AWARE OF SIDE-BLAST BETWEEN BARREL AND CYLINDER.
I TOOK A 3/8" STEEL ROD AND SURE ENOUGH, THERE WAS A BULLET STUCK IN THE BARREL. I TOOK A HAMMER AND POUNDED OUT THE TWO BULLETS. I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN THERE WAS TWO BULLETS, I PACKED UP AND WENT HOME.
WHY WAS I SO SCARED ? BECAUSE IF THAT SECOND ROUND HAD BEEN PROPERLY LOADED AND FIRED AGAINST THE FIRST BULLET LODGED IN THE BARREL, I COULD HAVE BEEN SERIOUSLY INJURED OR MY GUN PARTIALLY DISMANTLED.
UPON PULLING THE BULLET FROM THE THIRD ROUND, NO POWDER WAS IN IT. EACH OF THE REMAINING 25 RELO0ADS EACH HAD POWDER. THEN I REMEMBERED THAT I HAD PLACED THOSE THREE CASES IN MY LOADING BLOCK SEPARATELY BECAUSE THEY WERE A DIFFERENT BRAND, BUT WHEN I PLACED THE POWDER IN THE CASES I SOMEHOW IGNORED THE THREE DOWN IN THE CORNER. I PLACED BULLETS IN ALL 28 CASES AND SEATED THEM. I HAD A HABIT OF PLACING ROUNDS IN MY RANGE, AMMO BOX THE IN SAME LOCATION AS THEY WERE IN MY LOADING BLOCK.
WHAT CONTRIBUTED TO THIS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS OCCURANCE ? I WAS WEARING EAR PLUGS (29 Db REDUCTION) UNDER MY EAR MUFFS (85 Db ALLOWED TO PASS THROUGH) ON MY EARS WHICH NORMALLY HAS A HEARING AID IN EACH. I SIMPLY COULDN'T HEAR A FREIGHT TRAIN RUN NING THROUGH THE RANGE HOUSE !
WHAT LESSON WAS RE-LEARNED THAT DAY ? IF AFTER YOU "FIRE A SHOT" AND THERE IS ANYTHING AT ALL THAT IS NOT NORMAL, UNLOAD YOUR CYLINDER ( OR MAGAZINE) AND WHILE KEEPING THE GUN POINTED DOWN RANGE, MAKE SURE NOTHING IS LODGED IN THE BARREL !!!!!!!!!! IF THERE IS, REMOVE THE GUN FROM THE SHOOTING LINE AND MAKE ANY ADJUSTMENTS/REPAIRS IN A SAFE LOCATION. NOTIFYING THE RANGE OFFICER WILL MAKE A SECOND BRAIN AND EXTRA PAIR OF EYES AND EARS AVAILABLE FOR SAFETY'S SAKE.
: CSWARD

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think I'd settle for lucky. We've all probably been lucky enough to get away with something once. Perhaps not twice. Thanks for the reminder and the caution.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MY RECENT MISTAKE

HI FRED,

I OPENED YOUR REPLY WITH GREAT TREPIDATION. I THANK YOU FOR NOT THROWING ANY ROCKS AT ME.

I THOUGHT LONG AND HARD BEFORE I ADMITTED MY ERRORS TO ALL THE DIFFERENT KINDS OF PEOPLE OF THE FORUM. I HAD HERETOFORE HAD THE MISTAKEN BELIEF THAT WITH ALL MY EXPERIENCE WITH NEARLY EVERY FIREARM MADE BEFORE 1960, MADE ME AN EXPERT AT EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH FIREARMS. I'M SURE I WILL GET SOME ROCKS THROWN AT ME, AND IT WLL MAKE ME MORE HUMBLE----I HOPE !!!

YOU MUST BE A REALLY GREAT GUY, FRED. THANKS, FRED. GOD BLESS YOU, MY FRIEND.

CHUCK:)

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Priase God you didn't have full throttle/pressure loads in the cylinder after that dud!

Many thanks and my respect for sharing your incident.... it should serve as a wake up call to all of us that regardless of our experience, we are all subject to freakish situations, that often times are the product of our own creation.

Indeed, a heads-up that deserves respect!

God Bless you, and thanks for sharing!

Marshall

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,296 Posts
Same here - thanks for sharing. I once had a 12 ga hull come out of the Rem 1100 looking remarkably pregnant, and missing the primer. Don't know what happened, it seems like the progressive press was allowed to drop too much powder by operator stupidity.

Wish I had kept the hull as a safety reminder. Be careful.

Oh and by the way, in one of his books on reloading, Dean Grennell 'fessed up to some of his mistakes. So no one is immune to making mistakes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Its not just you

CSWARD, your not the only one to make a mistake loading this week. Today I was loading some 45/70, usually after I get powder in the cases I look down all of them to make sure I dint miss one. I was putting 54grs of imr3031 behind a 305gr cast. Looking in the cases one had about half of the powder the others did. I was using a scale and lee dipper, I fixed that one and got to watching what I was doing and the powder pan on the scale wasant seating right. Dumped all 50 rounds and back to square 1 with the powder and paying a little more attention to what I was doing.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
CSWARD
Glad to hear no damage was done-lucky! If your new to the 454 take heed this will happen again-maybe not the no powder in case thing, but you will stick bullets in the barrel again!!! All of mine have been for not enough crimp - any time you don't get that robust recoil -Check the barrel for a bullet!!! Good luck and shoot safe!!!

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
MY RECENT MISTAKE

HI MARSHALL STANTON, MIKE G., GUN RUNNER AND GUNNUT 45/454,

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUPPORT. (I'LL SHOW YOUR REPLIES TO BOTH MY WIFE AND MY BEST FRIEND AS EVIDENCE THAT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO MAKES A MISTAKE.) THANK YOU FOR UNDERSTANDING MY INTENT TO "HELP AND REMIND" AND NOT TO "TEACH" ANYONE ANYTHING.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

CHUCK:D

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Chuck:
You're not the only one. I haven't blown up a gun yet, in 35 years of reloading, but there's been a couple of BIG OOPS :eek:

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MY RECENT MISTAKE

HI JACK,

BLOWING UP A GUN IS EASIER FOR SOME FOLKS THAN OTHERS. BEING ONE OF THE "EASY ONES" QUALIFIES ME TO GIVE ADVICE THAT IS NOT EASILY FOLLOWED: ONLY BLOW UP GUNS THAT HAVE SMALL AMOUNTS OF POWDER AND HAVE VERY LIGHT BULLETS. HA HA HA HA

:) CHUCK

·
Registered
302 Posts
We have all done something wrong someplace in reloading or putting a gun to gather but heres one that takes the cake. One of my customers that just got a new Mossberg 500 for Christmas, was sitting around with his buddy having a couple of cold ones. They decided to change the choke, and his buddy said he would do it for him. He took the bbl off the action and "HAMMERED THE CHOKE INTO THE CHAMBER". The day after Christmass the kid came in with the bbl and told me what had happen and could I fix it for him. After the initial shock I asked why there wasant any "BLOOD" on the bbl. (he had no clue what I meant by that). No way was that choke comming out of there. He wound up buying a new bbl and choke. I asked if he was gonna let his buddy install the "Choke" in his new bbl. Seems they are no longer best of buds. Gee wounder why? :confused:

Gun Runner:D

·
Banned
510 Posts
OK guys, here's mine. A number of years ago a friend gave a couple of boxes of Peters Rustless 44-40 ammunition, you know, the blue and yellow 1950s vintage stuff. I opened one box and gave it a quick look at condition. All rounds were in beautiful shape, so off I went to our range out in the hills. I decided to shoot these using my 1903 vintage Colt Bisley. Now, most factory 44-40s are pretty anemic, and these were shooting just as expected. After some twenty or so shots at the target the hammer fell on a round that had an entirely different reaction. Instead of a bang this one cracked with a much louder report and lot'sa recoil. I put the gun on the fender of the Jeep, not understanding what had happened. After regaining my composure, I picked the gun up to see if it looked OK, and it did. At this point I determined to eject the fired cases to see something was amiss. The first two came out fine, the third was stuck in the cylinder. The ejector rod couldn't budge it. After lowering the gun to look at the case I couldn't believe my eyes. Clearly marked on it was Peters 44-40 HV. Fearing the worst, the Colt was immediately taken to our local gunsmith's house for an exam. Never once did the danger to myself occur up until that time. When the reality of what had occurred finally sunk in, I didn't feel so good. I'd worn neither shooting glasses nor gloves that day. I was lucky, and so was my Bisley. It too had absorbed that HV round without damage. It still is a fun gun to shoot, but with safe loads at all times. Oh yeah, there were two more of those HV cartridges in that box. I still have the remaining ammo and the empties in that box as a reminder of what had happened.
While these were not reloads, this incident did remind me to carefully look at all cartridges, even "factory" ones. Events like these can humble a shooter, and that is good. We all can learn from these mistakes we make, hopefully with injury to only our pride.
With warmest regards, Mike
:D :D

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MY RECENT MISTAKE

HI JACK,

IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR PROBLEM REQUIRES THE SAME ADVICE I GAVE, EVEN THOUGH YOURS INVOLVED A SHOTGUN AND MINE WAS A REVOLVER : IF ANYTHING AT ALL DOES NOT FOLLOW A SMOOTH FLOW OF EVENTS-----STOP RIGHT NOW---UNTIL YOU FIGURE OUT WHY THINGS AREN'T "NORMAL". IT IS SO EASY TO APPLY A MORE THAN "USUAL PRESSURE" OR LOTS OF OTHER THINGS. THANKS FOR REMINDING THAT THIS SAFETY TIP APPLIES TO RIFLE, PISTOL AND SHOTGUN RELOADING.

HI GUN RUNNER,

ISN'T IT FORTUNATE THAT THE "FRIEND" POUNDED THE CHOKE TUBE INTO THE CHAMBER END OF THE BARREL RATHER THAN THE MUZZLE END ? OTHERWISE THE KID MAY HAVE CHAMBEREED AND FIRED A HEAVILY LOADED SHELL. THIS "FRIEND" SOUNDS LIKE THE KIND OF GUY WHO'D POUND A .44 MAG WADCUTTER INTO A .44 SPL. REVOLVER CHAMBER.

HI MIKE,

BOY I'M GONNA CHECK ALL THE HEADSTAMPS OF EVERY FACTORY BOX OF AMMO I FIRST OPEN. IT SEEMS AS IF THERE ARE SO DARNED MANY DIFFERENT WAYS TO HURT ONE SELF ANYMORE. NO WONDER THE $%^& LAWYERS HAVE SUCH A FIELD DAY. WE HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING THE HISTORY OF AN OLD BOX OF AMMO GIVEN TO US, AND IT IS SO VERY EASY TO THINK THAT BECAUSE THE AMMO IS "FACTORY" THAT IT HASN'T BEEN TAMPERED WITH---WHEN IN FACT IT MAY WELL HAVE BEEN. THANKS FOR THIS WARNING, MIKE.

WHEN I BLEW UP A S&W .44 MAG ABOUT 1990, OR SO, I SENT IT TO THE PRESIDENT OF S&W TELLING HIM HOW IT HAPPENED AND HOW IT WAS MY FAULT THAT COULD EASILY BE BLAMED ON SOMEONE ELSE., I SENT HIM THE GUN AS A GIFT IF HE WOULD USE IT AS PART OF HIS COMPANY'S SAFETY PROGRAM. HE ANSWERED THAT HE WAS PLEASED TO TELL MY STORY AND CONNECT IT TO THE GUN WHICH HE WOULD MOUNT IN A CASE FORE VISITORS TO SEE. HE SAID THAT IN HIS 25 YEARS WITH S&W THAT THERE WERE MANY GUNS BLOWN UP, BUT NEVER IN HIS 25 YEARS DID ANY OWNER EVER ADMIT THEY WERE THE CAUSE OF IT. THEY ALL BLAMED S&W, THE POWDER COMPANY, THE PRIMER MFGR. OR THEIR AUNT SUZIE----ANYONE BUT THEMSELVES. ISN'T THAT INTERESTING ? OH ! HE SAID THEY ALL WANTED S&W TO REPLACE IT FREE OF CHARGE ! HE SOLD ME A REPLACEMENT FOR COST OF MATERIALS, PASSED IT THROUGH THEIR CUSTOM SHOP AND SENT IT BACK TO ME. I JUMPED AT THAT OPPROTUNITY.

THANK ALL YOU GUYS FOR YOUR REPLIES.

:) CHUCK

·
Registered
14 Posts
As the saying goes "I never made a mistake ..I thought I did once, but I was wrong". I've managed to make a few "Woopses" over the years like firing a 308 Win. round out of a 280 AI or how about bumping the scale course adjustment up 5 grains while loading for my 22-250, etc. I did see the remains of a 700 Rem in 25/06 that had a bullet in the barrel when the second was fired . Two guys were taking turns with it shooting ground hogs, One fired a uncharged round, so the primer sent the bullet into the bore. When the other fellow pulled the trigger nad nothing happened he assumed a empty case was still in the chamber, ejected it , put a loaded one in and the brown sause hit the fan.
I started helping my uncle reload when I was 8 years old. He did custom reloading and I was cheap labor. But he did manage, in spite of my best efforts, to teach me a few things, like charge all your cases, take a look at all of them to make sure there is powder and then seat a bullet.

Oh yeah, I forgot,,, did anyone ever use a fired primer ...

Bill

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my recent mistake

HI WILDBILL,

THOSE WERE INTERESTING STORIES.

HOW ABOUT PLACING POWDER IN ALL 50 CASES IN YOUR LOADING BLOCK ONLY TO DISCOVER THAT POWDER WAS LEAKING FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE FIRST CASE TO SEAT THE BULLETS. RIGHT ! NONE OF THE CASES HAD PRIMERS IN THEM !!!!

SEE YA. THANKS FOR WRITING.

CHUCK

·
Registered
825 Posts
Glad you are OK, I haven't had an opportunity to make any mistakes handloading, but soon.... Don't forget to let us know how the reduced loads work out.
andy

bye the way, every time I see where you are from, it reminds me of when I was assigned to Ft. Lewis and would roll over to Rock Candy Mountain in the State Forest south of Olympia to go shooting. No such places in North Alabama as far as I can tell.

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MY RECENT MISTAKE

HI ANDY,

APPARENTLY TRHERE ARE MANY MANY DIFFERENTR KINDS OF MISTAKES THAT CAN BE MADE WHILE RELOADING. I AM THANKFUL TO THOSE PERSONS WHO ADDED THEIR MISTAKES TO MY OWN TO HOPEFULLY WARN OTHERS NEW TO RELOADING OF THOSE THINGS.

I'M EMBROILED WITH NEW EXPERIMENTATION AND WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THE REDUCED LOADS PROJECT IS COMING ALONG. I SHOOT AGAIN DAY AFTER TOMORROW.

THE MOUNTAIN IS STILL THERE, ANDY. THE WHOLE MOUNTAIN IS A GAME PRESERVE OR SOME SUCH THING.

I WORKED IN DOTHAN, AL., IN 1987, AS A CONTRACT TELEPHONY ENGINEER. I REALLY LIKED THE PEOPLE THERE. I TRAVELED EXTENSIVELY IN ALABAMA AND THOUGHT THE CORNER OF THGE STATE THAT ADJOINED TENNESSEE, GEORGIA AND MISSISSIPPI WAS VERY BEAUTIFUL. I RENTED A HUGE TRAILER ON 5 ACRES OF "PINEY WOODS" AND THE OWNER ALLOWED ME TO CUT TREES TO MAKE A REALLY NICE 50 YARD RANGE. OTHER NEIGHBORS WERE ALWAYS SHOOTING SNAKES OR WHAT EVER AND THEY'D TARGET SHOOT WITHOUT A BACKSTOP---RELYING ON THE WOODS TO STOP THE BULLET BEFORE IT GOT TO A NEIGHBOR.

CHUCK
:D

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Gents:
I forgot a primer once, and 4895 doesn't leak out. Good thing I spotted that one before I went hunting. Since then, the primed cases go in the loading block upside down. The old Flambeau Twin 60 blocks are great when I'm loading a batch of 50 rounds. There's always an empty row between the unprocessed and processed cases.

Then there was the time the primers were seating awfully easy. Stopped, thought about it, then looked at the primer box. Large Pistol, not Large Rifle :eek:

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my recent mistake

HI JACK,

AS ALWAYS, YOUR ADVICE SHALL BE HEEDED. I HAD NOT THOUGHT ABOUT KEEPING THE PRIMERS UP IN THE BLOCK AND TURNING THEM OVER JUST PRIOR TO PLACING POWDER IN THE CASES.

THIS IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT WHEN MAYBE SEVERAL BLOCKS HAVE PRIMED ( HOPEFULLY) CASES, SEVERAL BLOCKS HAVE NO PRIMERS AND ALL THE BLOCKS ARE AWAITING POWDER IN A CABINET FOR " THE NEXT TIME " WHEN TIME PERMITS ADDING POWDER TO THE CASES.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THIS TIP, JACK. I WONDER HOW MANY NEAR ACCIDENTS ARE CAUSED WHEN SOMETHING ( USUALLY MY WIFE NOW THAT MY KIDS HAVE GONE ) AND THE LOADER ( ME ) PICKS UP WHERE HE "THOUGHT" HE LEFT OFF.

BEST REGARDS, JACK.

:D CHUCK

1 - 20 of 40 Posts