Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading out to hunt feral pigs (not Javalina) in New Mexico in early Sept. I've got a GuideGun 45-70, and I loaded up this recipe from one of the books:

Sierra 300 grain FN JHP
38.4 grains IMR 4198
Federal large rifle primers
Est. Vel: 1700 fps

Now I'm second-guessing myself, is this enough load for pigs ? Sure all #### hope so, as I loaded 80 rounds of it !!
Thanks for all the forthcoming advice...

·
Registered
51 Posts
The bullet weight and velocity look up to the job, I don't know anything about that bullets construction though.

Is that Sierra the one with the Nosler Partition type construction? If it holds together you should be just fine, many JHPs tend to blow up and that could cause you to track wounded porkers. There are many schools of thought on how a bullet should behave. I firmly believe in exit wounds.

Between now and your hunt you can look into the track record of that bullet and if you choose to use another type use these loads for practice.

Order of importance: IMHO
1) Shot placement
2) bullet construction
3) caliber

good luck with those piggies!

·
Registered
240 Posts
The load sounds like it has more than enough horsepower but, if it were me, I'd be more comfortable with a 300+ grain hard cast bullet to assure adequate penetration. Remember, you may not alway be lucky enough to be presented with a broadside shot. You need to consider a shot from all possible angles.

Boar are tough and move surprisingly quickly, sometimes directly at you! In this case you want enough of a thumper to penetrate the tough gristle plate and reach the vitals.

(Edited by Stranger at 9:25 pm on Aug. 12, 2001)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,441 Posts
I've seen them shot with a .357 Sig through a .50 BMG... yeah, no kidding, a 50!  My own personal range goes from .40 S&W through .30-06.

Anyway, I'd suspect that you'll do fine.  

If you get chance to shoot at a pig that's undisturbed or not moving very much, aim for the head or neck.  Ends the fight right then and there.

Otherwise.... hold right on the point of the shoulder.  Don't try to shoot behind the shoulder like a deer.  The lungs are small and I've seen very few pigs leave blood trails, even with exit wounds.

Don't shoot at the north end of a southbound pig, if you know what I mean.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
MikeG,

Can I ask how the .357 Sig did?  What load was used?  The .357 Sig is one of my 2 favorite handgun cartridges but I have never shot game with it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,441 Posts
John, it wasn't me or my gun but I am pretty sure that the load was the 125 gr. Gold Dot (factory CCI ammo).

Actually, it was quite an interesting story as the same bullet killed TWO small pigs (say 60-80lbs.) in their tracks.  I do know that the range was fairly short, say around 25 yards os so.

Will have to ask again what the shot placement, etc., was.  Buddy of mine was the shooter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I'm in NM too, Alamogordo, also been thinking about Pigs, couldn't draw elk. Anyway I have a Buddy working on a place around Roswell, another who says he will take me out on the Pecos river around Carlsbad, and my local hunting partner and I have been looking around Bonita lake. I am going to be hunting Bear and pigs over the next couple of months. Randy

·
Registered
59 Posts
In my Ruger #1 I use 405 grain hardcast, gascheck bullets over 50 grains IMR3031 for 1760 fps. It punches clear through pigs with almost no bloodshot meat.
I've also used the 350 grain Hornady JRN over 50 grains of IMR 4198 with good results.

·
Registered
48 Posts
SOUNDS LIKE A FEDERAL FACTORY LOAD TO ME, PLENTY GOOD FOR LIL DESERT PIGGYS. 405 GR. REM BULK BETTER FOR BIG SOUTH EASTERN SWAMP BOARS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Pigs are tough but not impossible to kill. They are somewhat over rated in my experience. I have killed in excess of 100 of them over the last 6 or 7 years.

I have shot them with everything from .223 to the .45-70. Killed a 200 pounder with a Glock 9m/m, shot it in the ear at about 15 yards. The only one I ever lost was one running at about 1oo yards that I dinged with a .243, bad shot I'm guessing. I prefer .308's for my pig hunting, not to small, not too big. Your load is good enough.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Just like everyone else has said, your load will do the job. I am not a fan of JHPs, though, due to questionable penetration on tough old porkers. A 300-350 hard cast may be a better choice, but, go with what you have because you rolled 'em. Leo, your 50/4198/350 HRN WILL shoot from south to north through a northbound pig. That load is suitable for any game in North America, and probably elsewhere. Out of my '86 EL it puts holes through  3/8" steel plate at 50yds. I've not tried it on hogs, though. Killed my last one using a 113 yr old 38-56. 36/3031/250 LFN, one shot at 80 yds broke both shoulders. I gonna' take the 45-70 next time, though.
    Cheers, mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts