Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a baby on the way. Due in November. What kind of gun should I buy him for christmas? I'm guessing one that doesn't recoil much would be good. I'm guessing a 308 would be nice. :D

Wait till he can walk and talk first?....:eek:....Okay........I'll wait....:rolleyes:.....A long time.....

·
Banned
103 Posts
give him a good,
responcible dad..
from your words..sounds like he is a very fortunate child..
may you be succesful in raising him to do the same..
a 22 is the best learning tool i know of ,as to shooting..
mostly,, enjoy being a sons dad..one of a mans better things to enjoy..god bless.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,246 Posts
Congratulation the the pending arrival of a son. My wife and I had a boy and a girl so we didn't need anything else. When that son arrives, you will truly know the meaning of Love. As Paw-Paw said, give your son a good dad.

·
Inactive account
784 Posts
CONGRATS Dad!

I started my kids with cork guns as soon as they could carry them. Told them they would get a BB gun as soon as they could ALWAYS obey the 4 safety rules. Same story with the BB gun: as soon as they could be 100% trustworthy with it they got a .22. Had 'em young too.

They're all good shots and safe with firearms.

I hope the same for all your kids too.

Regards

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,868 Posts
Lots of wise advice already here. Whatever gun you decide to get the wee lad, he'll treasure it forever. Make sure to post a picture of son and gun together!!!

Mine was a Remington Nylon 11. Still have it, still shoot it.

RJ

·
Registered
129 Posts
You're obviously a PROUD father to be. That's exactly as it should be. Your unborn son is lucky to have a father who will teach him about guns, safety and other manly things.

Here is the first gun I ever shot... at age 5. My father bought it new in 1927.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,355 Posts
You know this might sound silly but doing a little basic training with an air-soft gun might not be a bad idea. Fundamentals are the same and if he turns around and shoots dad in the crotch prior to learning the safe handling rules it'll hurt a lot less!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
.308 would be a great choice. Yep.

Both my kids have one and love them.

What's taking you so long on the gun buy?????? :confused: :rolleyes: All my kids had guns before they were born. :D

·
Inactive account
543 Posts
That's a nice Colt doubs43. I always wanted one when I was younger.

Congrats on the incoming boy! I'd recommend a Steven's Crackshot. It's a fine light starter rifle for a young man and they had quit making them for a while and restarted. Mine was purchased in 1987. 8)

·
Banned
128 Posts
Well done mate on the new arrival. My wife's not into shooting at all, so I had to convince her that safety would be the first thing my son would learn about rifles. I've taught him about firearm safety from the time he was old enough to understand the simplest of firearm safety rules. We practiced with his toy rifles and he knows his firearms rules better than some adults I've seen. Then when he came out with me rabbit shooting, and saw what 55 grain V-Max out of my 223 did to a rabbits head, the value of being safety conscious really hit home. I found teaching him early was worth every bit of time we spent going through it. We still have quizzes in the car about safety whenever and wherever I think to bring it up!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Congrats!

If your state has lifetime licenses, get him one of those. I bought my grandson a lifetime Tennessee sprotsman's license for $200. (Same thing costs me $135 per year) He can hunt of fish for anything that's legal in Tennessee, even if he moves away, with no additional license for as long as he lives.

·
Inactive member
1,648 Posts
Well, I think you are all wet behind the ears. Talk about learning the fundimentals, the guy that taught me would be laughing his butt off about now. This is the same guy who's responsible for the quick kill methods used by the Army, and guess what they put in their hands to learn on. He shot asprin out of the air, put shots through the holes in washers and anything else he wanted to do. He was considered about the best in his day. Do a search on the name "Lucky McDaniels" and see what he used. I think one of his books should be mandatory for anyone wanting to really learn how to shoot. I used the same methods I learned from him (I was fortunate to live next to him for several years when I was a kid) to teach my son when he was young and my granddaughter now. I started her when she was five or six and at 14 she will imbarras most people that shoot next to her. Several shooters at the range call her little Annie Oakley.

For those that don't want to read up on what a great shot used and teaches on, it's the good old Daisy Red Rider with the sights removed or a special built version of it. Reason being, it's velocity was slow enough you could follow it's flight path and develope the hand eye cordination needed for instinct shooting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.