Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started the testing process for finding the load for this 45 Colt rifle, likes.
The Dillon was set up to throw 9.5 grains of Unique. So I grabbed 100 cases and loaded them up with the 9.5 grains of Unique behind a 300 grain GC'd bullet sized .454. Tonight I'll duplicate the load except the bullets will be without the GCs. Tomorrow night I'll start with the same powder charge but use a 255 grain plain base bullet, sized .454.
Then I think I'll begin the series with H110 and the 300 grain slug.
Does any one has experience with H110 in the 45 Colt? I read John Linebaugh's article on the 45 Colt in the Ruger Black Hawk and he starts at some rather warmish powder charges, like 25 grains. I had thought to start at 18 grains and go up.
Any suggestions would be of help.
Jim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is this a Winchester 92 (made in japan?). I'm using Lil'Gun and 265 WFNGC. Made a big difference after fire lapping, accuracy was much better. I started at 18 grains and went up 25. Settled at 23, REMEMBER I' m shooting a new STRONG action. Haven't chronographed this load yet, but have shot some hogs with it. Killed two out of three rocks the other at 300 to 400 yards. Don't know much else, Good Luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your 1892 is plenty strong enough for the loads listed on Mr. Linebaugh's website. In fact those 1892's can go quite a bit more if you want to. The Marlin actions are good for the 40,000 cup range and the 1892's can go into the low 50,000 range. That is absolute max but you don't really need to go that high, loads in the mid 30's will kill very well just as they are, but if you are thinking of going after something bigger and meaner load it up to the 40,000 range and Elk, etc are going down no problem. It is nice to know you have a gun that can go that high in pressure if you need it.

God Bless

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts