Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came accross some cartridges that I've probably had for 20 years but don't know how they came into my possession. I checked Lyman and Lee cartridge specs and could not identify it. It is full metal jacket, probably Eastern Bloc military (at least I'm guessing that). The case body tapers from .40 to .45 but goes straight to the rim without the indenture seen on most cartridges. It looks most like a 7.62 X 54 Russian. However, the dimensions do not match. The OAL with copper jacketed bullet is 3.03. The rim is 5.29. The caliber is .308 and the COL is 2.20. The neck is sharply angled. I used a mic but the numbers could be off a bit.

Does anyone know this cartridge? I have no weapons that would use it so if someone can use it I'd be happy to send them to them. (A little over 20 rounds).

Head stamp shows "POF" at 10:00, "60" at 2:00 ans an upside down "7" at 6:00. I'm thinking the "60" is the year of manufacture and the POF is maybe the place.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
POF is listed as "Pakistan Ordnance Factories, Wah Cantt, Pakistan"
60 may be the year, but not sure
7 may mean 7mm but again just a guess

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like its close. I'll check that guide. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
POF is listed as "Pakistan Ordnance Factories, Wah Cantt, Pakistan"
60 may be the year, but not sure
7 may mean 7mm but again just a guess
Sure sounds close to .303 British, within reasonable measuring error, and a Pakistani origin would point that way.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have an Enfield. I'll check against known cartridges. But I think the dimensions are off. If it's .303, that'll explain why I have the dang things. Thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solved

Thanks everyone. It is indeed a .303 Brittish. I checked them against some Winchesters I have. But now I'm confused about my micrometer. Both the Win and the Pakistani measure .307-.308. .303 is supposed to be .3123. I didn't even check calibers larger or smaller in my books. Is my measurement right or is my micrometer giving me erroneous readings or is it user error?

The gfood news is now I know what to do with them. :)

BearBear.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Quick Check of your Micrometer: gently run the two anvils together and se if it reads 0.0000, then measure the body of an unused 5/16 Drill Bit. If the second reading is about 0.3125, the Micrometer is in calibration.
Also the bullet inside the Case neck could be slightly larger than that exposed beyond the neck of the case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts